Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's going on Weather wise in your area?

+14
HawkTheSlayer
2cent
EvilCat Breath
Sprintcyclist
Matt National
Cotton
Elizabeth Theus
JMWinPR
jirqoadai
Crusader
Red Lily
Lummy
vege57
Jen
18 posters

Page 74 of 77 Previous  1 ... 38 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77  Next

Go down

What's going on Weather wise in  your area? - Page 74 Empty Re: What's going on Weather wise in your area?

Post by HawkTheSlayer Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:40 pm

Calypso Jones wrote:FIERCE wind.  I've lost stuff.  I think some of it was picked up and taken.   My deer feeding station....
tht's missing.

Trees down.  BIIIIIG trees.  2 at least, watching one.   All the stuff on my porch blown down.  I mean heavy stuff.  i hope it's not scraped up. Brought into garage what i could.  One minute just nice and warmer than yesterday,  the next minute so strong i couldn't open the door.    55 to 60 mph winds.
Fences down, mail boxes blown over, trees down all over, some people without power.   i'm lucky. Not TOO bad but i want my deer feeder back.

Youll find it downwind.

Back to top Go down

What's going on Weather wise in  your area? - Page 74 Empty Re: What's going on Weather wise in your area?

Post by Calypso Jones Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:07 pm

What does downwind mean in this case.   odd....the wind must have gotten under the doors of The Captain's garage and moved his .....'accessories' around.  Shocked

FOUND IT. IT was on the other side of my neighbor's drive..UPHILL. weird.

SOME. WIND.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:54 pm

Three days of early summer. Temperature in the low-sixties, up to 74 this afternoon.

Nights remind us it's still really March, with frost every night; but the afternoons have been wonderful.

That ends tonight - a wet cold front is supposed to go through, with rain tomorrow morning, and sleet tomorrow night. March, fer sure.

Last snow of the season can be expected some time in April, out here. It won't freeze hard, but this is the way of the higher regions. Thin air leads to cold nights, and blistering-hot days, when the sun beats down.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:55 pm

Calypso Jones wrote:What does downwind mean in this case.   odd....the wind must have gotten under the doors of The Captain's garage and moved his .....'accessories' around.  Shocked

FOUND IT.  IT was on the other side of my neighbor's drive..UPHILL.   weird.  

SOME. WIND.

There's videos of kids' trampolines being blown up into the air a hundred feet, and of lawn chairs sucked off beaches, and into the ocean...from various windstorms. Often not even stormy, otherwise. Just a lot of wind.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:27 pm

More trees have fallen for us. No more wind..stoppd last nite. Precarious..... if three continue their descent..currently resting on other trees...some uprooting, it could fall on lines and put the electric out in this area too. LOTS Of people ahead of us. yesterday afternoon, a fire broke out and then suddenly they started happening all over....curious...... peaks are on fire, mountainsides, fields, homes in danger, people being evacuated. No word yet on causes on all of them. I'm sure some may be caused by down lines...but all of them??
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:26 pm

It sure has been cool the last 2 nights, and once again in the morning with lows in the mid to upper 40s. Highs in the 60s and 70s.

By Easter it will be a little warmer with lows in the low 60s.

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:56 pm

Calypso Jones wrote:More trees have fallen for us. No more wind..stoppd last nite.   Precarious..... if three continue their descent..currently resting on other trees...some uprooting, it could fall on lines and put the electric out in this area too.   LOTS Of people ahead of us.    yesterday afternoon, a fire broke out and then suddenly they started happening all over....curious...... peaks are on fire, mountainsides, fields, homes in danger, people being evacuated.    No word yet on causes on all of them. I'm sure some may be caused by down lines...but all of them??

Testing out the Death Rays, the ones they used in Hi-Wai-II? Clear the land that Doprah and Markie Cuckerberg want to buy...clear it of Deplorables and their trash.

Then, clear Texas grassland of all those climate-killing beef cattle.

Now, clear Virginia peaks...why? Fer the halibut?
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:01 pm

Virginia is one of those states that they dont allow the clearing of dead and down.  We also have some kind of fatal deer disease going on.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:24 pm

Calypso Jones wrote:Virginia is one of those states that they dont allow the clearing of dead and down.  We also have some kind of fatal deer disease going on.

Hmmm. The deer disease is second-order result of the criminalizing of hunting. Deer's natural predators are cougars, wolves and bear; and cougars and wildcats are mostly gone from eastern forests. They don't like close proximity to humans. Wolves have been hunted out of the area.

So the deer do what deer do, and as they grow in number, but the food supply doesn't, they get small and weak and hungry. And disease is an opportunist.

The thing to do there, is make deer hunting easy and free and allow hunters to take multiple deer. Allow it, only if the meat is harvested - I suppose game officers or state officials could take unwanted deer meat, and use it to feed prison inmates or distribute it at food banks.

As to the dead tinder: I don't know the specifics of your woods, of course. I know the Adirondacks; I know the Central New York woods outside the Adirondacks, and of course the Ohio hardwood forests.

Lumbering has all-but-stopped in the Adirondacks. And in spite of a short growing season, the soil is so rich, the soil grows an amazingly thick ground cover. Places that were clear-cut in the 1920s, had growth fifty feet high by 1970.

There has not been a serious forest-fire threat, in spite of the pine-needle tinder on the forest floor everywhere, because it is so WET. The tree growth is birch as well as ceder and conifer, but the dead vegetation never dries - it just rots and in some places, washes into the lakes or rivers.

The Great Lakes hardwood forests never have been a serious fire threat, either. People, outside the cities, will build homes right under the tree canopy; and they get insurance, and the biggest problem from that is that the huge quantity of maple leaves, will lie on roofs, sometimes rot or hold moisture, and cause premature decomposition of the roof. That, and plugged eavestroughs.

Only out West, is it necessary to clear out the dead brush. Because out here the rainfall is SO much less; and the air so dry, outside of rainstorms. Easterners going to California, 50 years ago, would build under the trees, as they'd seen done in the East...and the first wildfire would burn their house down to the foundation. Insurers quit writing policies on homes that were not put in clearings, with fire-breaks, and in certain areas, not at all.

Don't know why your woods are on fire. I know the Appalachian Mountains have occasionally had big fires, but I thought, thinking back, that was typically the result of late-summer droughts.

confused
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 pm

Geez, it got colder than they said it would be, last night.
42F here this morning.

It was sunny yesterday and i was able to build up the heat inside in the afternoon , through the glass door, to raise the inside temp to 81. I was hot but knew i need the heat for the cool night ahead.

I had the heater set on 60. I woke up and was cold. It had dropped to 63 inside. I put the thermostat on 65 for one run because i knew i needed to save the inside cold because it was going to warm up to 75 or 80 outside. Lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 74 of 77 Previous  1 ... 38 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77  Next