Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random thoughts on cooking and cooking utensils

+2
Sprintcyclist
Calypso Jones
6 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Random thoughts on cooking and cooking utensils - Page 4 Empty Re: Random thoughts on cooking and cooking utensils

Post by 2cent Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:26 pm

Red Lily wrote:
HawkTheSlayer wrote:
Calypso Jones wrote:Show me what y'all use.   Brand or style. Whatever.

Here's the plastic one I have. It's one piece and made in the USA.

Ohhh, is that what you call a spatula?  We call that an egg flip which is a totally different thing Lol.
Growing up, we called what you posted a pic of, a 'rubber scraper,' and what Hawk posted, a 'spatula.' But when I got my first cookbook in my early 20's, it labeled what you posted, a 'spatula', and what Hawk posted, an 'egg turner.'

Go figure. Random thoughts on cooking and cooking utensils - Page 4 553500953

But, like you, I prefer soft rubber scrapers/spatulas, and ones I can separate to wash; except the one I use for unmolding cakes, breads, etc., from their pans. I prefer metal spatulas/egg turners, but don't use them in the Teflon frying pans, so of course I've a few rubber ones.

I can't find a pic of the spatulas/rubber scrapers that I have. One has the handle in the center, is about 2" wide; two have the handle on the side, one about 1" wide; one, crescent shaped. <- Very handy for cleaning out jars.
2cent
2cent

HawkTheSlayer, Red Lily and Calypso Jones like this post

Back to top Go down

Random thoughts on cooking and cooking utensils - Page 4 Empty Re: Random thoughts on cooking and cooking utensils

Post by Red Lily Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:37 pm

My mother always called the scraper thingy a "cake scraper" which is what I call it too.

I get confused when I hear the word "spatula" and the only thing we'd likely call a spatula is something that looks like this, with either a straight or bent handle ...

Random thoughts on cooking and cooking utensils - Page 4 Ateco---1387--Natural-Wood-Medium-Sized-Offset-Spatula_20210721-224757_full

Random thoughts on cooking and cooking utensils - Page 4 MS120
Red Lily
Red Lily

HawkTheSlayer, Calypso Jones and 2cent like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:39 pm

Spatula is a flipper . For eggs and pork patties, metal is best.

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:43 pm

HawkTheSlayer wrote:Spatula is a flipper . For eggs and pork patties, metal is best.

Here a flipper is a flip or flipper!  Easy peasy!   Lol

Metal is more flexible than plastic but it's no good on non stick surfaces so it's good to have both.
Red Lily
Red Lily

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:53 pm

I have metal 'flippers' and the flexible rubbery/plastic like ones. But for getting all tje batter or scarping pans plates i like the flexible rubber spatulas.

AND i WAS okay with the ones that do come apart UNTIL kuts recently when after a time, they discolor on the inside and sometimes it is hard to get out the ..rust/debris whatever. and they become more loose with time so the last time i took it apart i just thought..this is disgusting...so i tossed it.

Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:08 pm

Well, dang.  I found a pic of the 'spreader-spatula' that Tupperware made, but, once again, forget how to post the pic.

EDIT:  NOW I remember.  Here is what I use to separate cake, bread, etc., from the pan, but Tupperware calls a 'spreader'.

Random thoughts on cooking and cooking utensils - Page 4 Il_794xN.4532198728_mpzt

It is, as it turns out, great for spreading cake frosting.
2cent
2cent

HawkTheSlayer and Red Lily like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:20 pm

Red Lily wrote:My mother always called the scraper thingy a "cake scraper" which is what I call it too.

I get confused when I hear the word "spatula" and the only thing we'd likely call a spatula is something that looks like this, with either a straight or bent handle  ...

Random thoughts on cooking and cooking utensils - Page 4 Ateco---1387--Natural-Wood-Medium-Sized-Offset-Spatula_20210721-224757_full

Looks perfect for boppin' the kids on the bum with.
2cent
2cent

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:02 am

HawkTheSlayer wrote:Spatula is a flipper . For eggs and pork patties, metal is best.

This is a flipper lol

Random thoughts on cooking and cooking utensils - Page 4 Flip10
vege57
vege57

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:51 am

2cent wrote:
Red Lily wrote:My mother always called the scraper thingy a "cake scraper" which is what I call it too.

I get confused when I hear the word "spatula" and the only thing we'd likely call a spatula is something that looks like this, with either a straight or bent handle  ...

My mother chased me with a wooden spoon. She rarely caught me though! Lol
Red Lily
Red Lily

HawkTheSlayer, vege57 and 2cent like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:58 am

Red Lily wrote:
2cent wrote:

My mother chased me with a wooden spoon.  She rarely caught me though!  Lol

I can recall mine braking one over my brothers ass lol
vege57
vege57

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next