Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why is soccer not more popular in the US?

+6
Red Lily
billy the kid
Sprintcyclist
vege57
jirqoadai
Lummy
10 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Why is soccer not more popular in the US? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why is soccer not more popular in the US?

Post by billy the kid Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:47 am

I was sitting in the club one day a couple of years ago, wearing my Manchester United polo shirt when a punter walks up and ask if he could join me....I was waiting for my pizza....
He asks me if I ever played for Man U...
I said no...Im just an avid supporter...
He goes on to tell me his name (cant remember it) and that he
played a full season with the late and great Georgie Best....
We chatted until my pizza arrived...he bought me a beer
and I shared my pizza with him...
Half an hour later, after some incredible stories he left....
You had to be there.....

billy the kid

HawkTheSlayer and Red Lily like this post

Back to top Go down

Why is soccer not more popular in the US? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why is soccer not more popular in the US?

Post by vege57 Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:55 am

billy the kid wrote:I was sitting in the club one day a couple of years ago, wearing my Manchester United polo shirt when a punter walks up and ask if he could join me....I was waiting for my pizza....
You had to be there.....

George was one of the greats, very sad how he went
vege57
vege57

Red Lily and billy the kid like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:09 am

The retired Bibby Moore was asked how his team would fare against Icelands national team.
He said "We would win 2-1"
The reporter said, "Is that all"
"Well', Bobby continued, "we are all in our 80's now. "

Sprintcyclist

vege57 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:55 am

Soccer is 90 minutes of pretending you are hurt.

Rugby is 80 minutes of pretending you are not.

Sprintcyclist

Daily Bread and vege57 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lummy Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:00 am

Repugnant as it is, there is strategy in the faking injury. Primarily it gets a minute or two of rest for the team while it puts the referees on notice to be on the lookout.

Soccer seems to have always tolerated this, at least to a point. It can and sometimes does draw a penalty.

I dislike it too.
Lummy
Lummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lummy Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:38 am

Sprintcyclist wrote:Soccer is one of the most boring games.
Hence the soccer riots.

In any good sport/game a side can score 100 pts in a game.
Grid Iron, basketball, Union, league, AFL. All good games, all capable if 100 pts in a game.

Soccer, hockey, useless games, cannot score 100 pts

Bicycle racing! Yeah, now there's a spectator sport!   Razz

I have yet to see a football game where a team scored a hundred points, though I'm sure it has happened, if very rarely.
Lummy
Lummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lummy Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:44 am

billy the kid wrote:I was sitting in the club one day a couple of years ago, wearing my Manchester United polo shirt when a punter walks up and ask if he could join me....I was waiting for my pizza....
You had to be there.....

Very cool story, bro. Not familiar with him, but I get it.
Lummy
Lummy

HawkTheSlayer and billy the kid like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Daily Bread Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:47 pm

I lettered in High School for lacrosse , baseball , wrestling ,basketball ,track and Soccer (never tried out for football -no time) and soccer was my least liked and most boring sport and yes it was more boring than baseball . Most of the sports utilize some kind of analytic skills and a certáin level of mental preparation figuring out a plan on what may take place next and how to combat it . Soccer was running back and forth chasing a ball that you were following 100 yards away .
Of the above I'm rating Lacrosse as the top all around sport I played because of speed , body contact,and the one one experience  - I probably would have like rugby because of its contact  but that sport wasn't in any of my schools at the time.
Daily Bread
Daily Bread

https://gettr.com/i/dailybread

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:01 pm

Daily Bread wrote:I lettered in High School for lacrosse , baseball , wrestling ,basketball ,track and Soccer (never tried out for football -no time) and soccer was my least liked and most boring sport and yes it was more boring than baseball . Most of the sports utilize some kind of analytic skills and a certáin level of mental preparation figuring out a plan on what may take place next and how to combat it . Soccer was running back and forth chasing a ball that you were following 100 yards away .
Of the above I'm rating Lacrosse as the top all around sport I played because of speed , body contact,and the one one experience  - I probably would have like rugby because of its contact  but that sport wasn't in any of my schools at the time.
I majored in hunting and fishing.
I was certified in paddling a piroque and a bateau, and in headlight repair(for frogging).
Later on I went professional with a custom built aluminum skiff and 40HP outboard with tiller handle.

Boy you ain't never worked until you drive a tiller handle outboard and have to constantly pick up your motor IN GEAR , jumping logs, cypress knees, and clearing water hyacinths and hydrilla from the prop.

Daily Bread likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Daily Bread Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:24 am

HawkTheSlayer wrote:
Daily Bread wrote:I lettered in High School for lacrosse , baseball , wrestling ,basketball ,track and Soccer (never tried out for football -no time) and soccer was my least liked and most boring sport and yes it was more boring than baseball . Most of the sports utilize some kind of analytic skills and a certáin level of mental preparation figuring out a plan on what may take place next and how to combat it . Soccer was running back and forth chasing a ball that you were following 100 yards away .
I majored in hunting and fishing.
I was certified in paddling a piroque and a bateau,  and in headlight repair(for frogging).
Later on I went professional with a custom built aluminum skiff and 40HP outboard with tiller handle.

Boy you ain't never worked until you drive a tiller handle outboard  and have to constantly pick up your motor IN GEAR , jumping logs, cypress knees, and clearing water hyacinths and hydrilla  from the prop.
"Headlight repair for froging" ? Back in the day when I'd be crabbing off a dock in the Great South Bay people would waste batteries trying to lure the blue claws to the dock to net them . I went out and bought a 100 ft extension cord and spliced 2 clamps on the male end (ouch)so I could attach it to my car battery and plugged a headlight into the female end :) of the cord . That sucker would draw in Jaws if he was hanging out in the bay .
Was your froger light the same high technology ?
Daily Bread
Daily Bread

https://gettr.com/i/dailybread

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next