Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garden 2021

+5
HawkTheSlayer
2cent
jirqoadai
Peter1469
Calypso Jones
9 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Garden 2021 - Page 2 Empty Re: Garden 2021

Post by vege57 Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:54 pm

HawkTheSlayer wrote:I picked a mater yesterday. And I planted a month later than I usually do. I have 8 or 10 beautiful,  large cucumber vines. All the little cukes turn yellow and fall off. No pollinators , I guess.  

I went Muscadine scouting this morning and then saw I still had about 3 hours of bush hogging to do. A small pasture about 2 miles back and 1 field road.

I found a few vines with dines.  But they were not loaded last last year.  Usually pick dat on da ground in August. I was surprised how small they were right now. About the size of a brown field pea.

Dont cucumbers have male and female flowers like other cucurbits ? more likely to be climatic
vege57
vege57

HawkTheSlayer and Red Lily like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:00 pm

Things are not growing as they have in the past. Things aren't even coming up. is it critters or the weather or are the seeds bad.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:05 pm

2cent wrote:
HawkTheSlayer wrote:I picked a mater yesterday. And I planted a month later than I usually do. I have 8 or 10 beautiful,  large cucumber vines. All the little cukes turn yellow and fall off. No pollinators , I guess.  

I went Muscadine scouting this morning and then saw I still had about 3 hours of bush hogging to do. A small pasture about 2 miles back and 1 field road.

I found a few vines with dines.  But they were not loaded last last year.  Usually pick dat on da ground in August. I was surprised how small they were right now. About the size of a brown field pea.
Yer pickin' 'maters already? Wow!  I'm impressed.  We've got a bunch coming on, but none bigger 'n a quarter I'll bet.  

What kind of 'maters do you grow?

Sorry to hear about your cukes.  
I usually plant determinate type, tomatoes. Year in and year out I've had more success with Celebrity than any other type.
Last year I planted many types, including beefstake varieties. I had 37 plants.

This year only 3 plants. Type, Amelia, which is also a determinate variety.
Next year I will put all my money on Celebrity, again.

2cent likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:07 pm

vege57 wrote:

Dont cucumbers have male and female flowers like other cucurbits ? more likely to be climatic

Yes. Maybe my asshole nabor put the hoodoo on them.

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:08 pm

Calypso Jones wrote:Things are not growing as they have in the past.  Things aren't even coming up.  is it critters or the weather or are the seeds bad.
Farming and gardening. Both bring more questions than answers.

Knock on wood. We've not been able to come by any Weed-Be-Gone, and so far, no bugs. Feel awful lucky for that part.

2cent
2cent

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:12 pm

Calypso Jones wrote:Things are not growing as they have in the past.  Things aren't even coming up.  is it critters or the weather or are the seeds bad.

Aged rabbit poop is the ticket. Puts ammonium nitrate to shame.
My buddy quite raising rabbits.

He still gives me shit. Just not rabbit shit. Lol.

vege57, 2cent and Peter1469 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:12 pm

HawkTheSlayer wrote:
2cent wrote:

Yer pickin' 'maters already? Wow!  I'm impressed.  We've got a bunch coming on, but none bigger 'n a quarter I'll bet.  

What kind of 'maters do you grow?

Sorry to hear about your cukes.  
I usually plant determinate type, tomatoes. Year in and year out I've had more success with Celebrity than any other type.
Last year I planted many types, including beefstake varieties. I had 37 plants.

This year only 3 plants. Type, Amelia,  which is also a determinate variety.
Next year I will put all my money on Celebrity, again.
I think we grew Celebrities in that past. Anymore, we have the best luck with Better Boys, so have been sticking w/them. One year we put in 40 vining tomato plants. Garden 2021 - Page 2 3732575847

2cent
2cent

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:17 pm

HawkTheSlayer wrote:

Ha!  Maybe it's rabbits is what's getting to her plants.  Hadn't thought of those critters.  

We added another, lower, line to our electric fence this year.  Sor far, no Peter Rabbits, nor stinkin' turtles.  Now, I like turtles just as much as the next guy, but NOT when they crawl through the garden takin one bite out of every tomato they can reach.

Last edited by 2cent on Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
2cent
2cent

HawkTheSlayer and Red Lily like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:26 pm

2cent wrote:
HawkTheSlayer wrote:

Ha!  Maybe it's rabbits is what's getting to her plants.  Hadn't thought of those critters.  

We added another, lower, line to our electric fence this year.  Sor far, no Peter Rabbits, nor stinkin' turtles.  Now, I like turtles just as much as the next guy, but NOT when they crawl through the garden takin one bite out of every tomato they can reach.  
We eat the turtles in tomato sauce and a little roux. :)
Turtle Sauce Piquant is gourmet eating on the bayou.

Red Lily and 2cent like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:34 pm

HawkTheSlayer wrote:
2cent wrote:
HawkTheSlayer wrote:

We eat the turtles in tomato sauce and a little roux. :)
Turtle Sauce Piquant is gourmet eating on the bayou.
We get those little things that look a lot like Box Turtles, but aren't.  Don't know as they'd be good for eating.  There's some snappers in the pond.  I haven't cooked turtle in 40 years, and seeing as Mr. 2 can't eat it...
2cent
2cent

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next