Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's going on Weather wise in your area?

+15
Calypso Jones
HawkTheSlayer
2cent
EvilCat Breath
Sprintcyclist
Matt National
Cotton
Elizabeth Theus
JMWinPR
jirqoadai
Crusader
Red Lily
Lummy
vege57
Jen
19 posters

Page 6 of 81 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 43 ... 81  Next

Go down

What's going on Weather wise in  your area? - Page 6 Empty Re: What's going on Weather wise in your area?

Post by JMWinPR Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:31 pm

It even has snowflakes on it.

JMWinPR

HawkTheSlayer and Red Lily like this post

Back to top Go down

What's going on Weather wise in  your area? - Page 6 Empty Re: What's going on Weather wise in your area?

Post by JMWinPR Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:14 pm

Calypso Jones wrote:That is an orange sunset?? beautiful.   I wonder if sunsets are different colors in different parts of the country.  I know that sounds odd but i get a lot of pink and blue sunsets here. east coast..valley between mountains.   maybe its seasonal?
Recall "Red sky at night, sailors delight, red sky at morning, sailor take warning"

It has to do with the amount of dust and high low pressure fronts.

From Wikipedia: "The concept is over two thousand years old and is cited in the New Testament as established wisdom that prevailed among the Jews of the Second Temple Period by Jesus in Matthew 16:2-3.

The rhyme is a rule of thumb used for weather forecasting during the past two millennia. It is based on the reddish glow of the morning or evening sky, caused by trapped particles scattering the blue light from the sun in a stable air mass.[5]

If the morning skies are of an orange-red glow, it signifies a high-pressure air mass with stable air-trapping particles, like dust, which scatters the sun's blue light. This high pressure is moving towards the east, and a low-pressure system moves in from the west. Conversely, in order to see "red sky" in the evening, high-pressure air mass from the west scatters the blue light in the atmospheric particles, leaving the orange-red glow. High-pressure air mass signifies stable weather, while low pressure signifies unstable weather.

There are occasions where a storm system might rain itself out before reaching the observer (who had seen the morning red sky). For ships at sea, however, the wind and rough seas from an approaching storm system could still be a problem, even without rainfall.

Because of different prevailing wind patterns around the globe, the traditional rhyme is generally not correct at lower latitudes of both hemispheres, where prevailing winds are from east to west. The rhyme is generally correct at middle latitudes where, due to the rotation of the Earth, prevailing winds travel west to east."
I had to look up Matthew  sho nuf it b thar

JMWinPR

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:21 pm

Unseasonably warm.

Usually by this time we're deep in the icebox. But instead, the temperature's hovering around 35...we had a cold snap four days ago, temperature was around 10-15 and overcast (normal for the time) but a warm front moved in...it snowed a little, and then sleeted. Two days they warned of six inches of snow, and what we got was slush on the sidewalk.

So, right now, 10:30 at night, it's 31 degrees, and the slushy partly-melted snow on the driveway has frozen into glare ice. Dangerous to take the trash out.

Tomorrow, 38 degrees and, they say, rain. At least I don't slip and fall in the rain.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Crusader Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:32 am

We're supposed to have a high of 81 on Christmas in Dallas. It's an Australian Christmas.
Crusader
Crusader

HawkTheSlayer and Elizabeth Theus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Elizabeth Theus Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:22 am

Today in Leavenwortth, KS the high is supposed to be 62, tomorrow 70, and on Christmas 54. A little on the high side around here, but it's okay with me ;o)
Elizabeth Theus
Elizabeth Theus

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:08 pm

We had the rain, all day.  

Like Greg Lake sang about, fifty years ago.

Tonight, sleeting.

I'm reminded of a sci-fi novel, basically a rewrite of Dante's Divine Comedy.  The novel was, "Inferno" - and it was a trip of an indolent science-fiction writer's stupid, drug-induced fatal accident (falling off a balcony) and his trip to Hell.

Along the way, he meets some interesting persons...like Benny (Mussolini) and Adolf, and Henry VIII...and Satan.  Benny is his guide and basically, a friend in Hell.  He, Benny, acquires redemption...no, this is not a religious tract.  It's off Church doctrine; but it's an interesting read.  The writer, on the precipice of escape, destruction, or return...knowing the Scriptural words that will allow him movement among the levels of Hell...opts to return, to save other lost souls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferno_(Niven_and_Pournelle_novel)

All of this, off-topic...but I think of it, with the sky overcast, the sleet coming down...as the only safe place is Inside, and that's a very tiresome place.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

2cent likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:36 am

Casey Jones wrote:We had the rain, all day.  

Tonight, sleeting.

I'm reminded of a sci-fi novel, basically a rewrite of Dante's Divine Comedy.  The novel was, "Inferno" - and it was a trip of an indolent science-fiction writer's stupid, drug-induced fatal accident (falling off a balcony) and his trip to Hell.

Along the way, he meets some interesting persons...like Benny (Mussolini) and Adolf, and Henry VIII...and Satan.  Benny is his guide and basically, a friend in Hell.  He, Benny, acquires redemption...no, this is not a religious tract.  It's off Church doctrine; but it's an interesting read.  The writer, on the precipice of escape, destruction, or return...knowing the Scriptural words that will allow him movement among the levels of Hell...opts to return, to save other lost souls.

All of this, off-topic...but I think of it, with the sky overcast, the sleet coming down...as the only safe place is Inside, and that's a very tiresome place.
Who cares? It was far more interesting than hearing it's gonna be 71 here today, and 70 tomorrow.
Our care is Sunday's overnight, seeing's as we need to leave out @ 5:30a.m., for Mr. 2's appt. at the hospital. Ahh. 62. How accommodating.
2cent
2cent

Back to top Go down

Post by JMWinPR Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:57 pm

2cent wrote:

Tonight, sleeting.

Who cares?  It was far more interesting than hearing it's gonna be 71 here today, and 70 tomorrow.  
Our care is Sunday's overnight, seeing's as we need to leave out @ 5:30a.m., for Mr. 2's appt. at the hospital.  Ahh. 62.  How accommodating.  
Let me get this straight he is 71 today and 70 tomorrow but on Sunday he'll be 62. That shor iz an mazin hopsital hospitable hospittle

JMWinPR

Red Lily and 2cent like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:19 am

JMWinPR wrote:
2cent wrote:

Tonight, sleeting.

Who cares?  It was far more interesting than hearing it's gonna be 71 here today, and 70 tomorrow.  
Our care is Sunday's overnight, seeing's as we need to leave out @ 5:30a.m., for Mr. 2's appt. at the hospital.  Ahh. 62.  How accommodating.  
Let me get this straight he is 71 today and 70 tomorrow but on Sunday he'll be 62. That shor iz an mazin hopsital hospitable hospittle
LOL
2cent
2cent

JMWinPR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:29 am

They said Snow would start @11am and it did. Soft fluffy light but when i look toward the mountain....i can't see it. All whited out.

Slow accumulation....they say 4 to 8 to 12 inches. We'll see. Took care of my adopted cats at the barn down the road about a mile away. Did that about 10 am to make sure they were situated. They were. All in the barn. Fed well with wet and warm food. I am still going back about 330 to take them more warm food and newspaper to go in the bottom of their houses for added insulation.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Elizabeth Theus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 81 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 43 ... 81  Next