Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JRR Tolkien was a devout Catholic Christian.

+5
RV
Sprintcyclist
jirqoadai
Calypso Jones
Lummy
9 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

JRR Tolkien was a devout Catholic Christian. - Page 5 Empty Re: JRR Tolkien was a devout Catholic Christian.

Post by 2cent Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:53 pm

Calypso Jones wrote:As an aside...do you think THE Catholic Church, not the lay people but the Church itself and the Church elite...are stronger or weaker than the Catholic church during and after the Middle ages in Europe up to the French Revolution?
I've actually been giving this quite a bit of thought. I'm more familiar w/the influence of the Catholic Church up until the 15th century, than what was up during the 18th.
Going on that, I'd say that the Catholic Church, having had the influence and back-up of the monarchy during said era, was likely able to have far more influence than it is today. Come to think of it, up until, and after, the French Revolution, as well.

In a way, we have the Catholic Church to thank for a good deal of the settling of America, eventually leading up to the United States.

An amazing chunk of history throughout all that time. It's hard to escape the notion that we're witnessing a repeat of it.
2cent
2cent

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

JRR Tolkien was a devout Catholic Christian. - Page 5 Empty Re: JRR Tolkien was a devout Catholic Christian.

Post by Lummy Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:07 pm

The work stands alone. Comparisons with anything else are overthinking it.

Enter Native American Religion -- The only thing difficult about doing that is Christianiity's need to be the incomplete end all, because judaism, and jews are a bunch of crazy liars doomed to redundant, quasi-satanic rituals. The only objection to that comes from jews, not Jesus or God.

Native American Religion is pure American religion that satisfies most all, religious parameters, leaving room for infinite growth -- both personal and common.

I am so sorry but very optimistic.

Last edited by Lummy on Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lummy
Lummy

Sprintcyclist likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lummy Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:20 pm

As I post this, academics are certainly trying to take it down -- at Harvard, at Stanford and everywhere else.

That's my humble opinion not very well stated.
Lummy
Lummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lummy Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:00 pm

Fact is, academics aren't invited -- sitting, as they do, in their spoils and generally not appreciating much of anything.

Time to sit up and take stock in your surroundings God has provided. For hard-bit skeptics, late last night I was sitting on the front porch just watching the night sky and two objects passed together silently above. No idea what they were. No aircraft lights or anything. Third time in less than a year that this has happened.

The night sky here is pretty active. I would think Australia would be the ideal place for night sky viewing.
Lummy
Lummy

HawkTheSlayer, Red Lily and Sprintcyclist like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lummy Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:54 pm

https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/The_Jerusalem_Bible
Lummy
Lummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lummy Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:57 pm

Revise the Bible, you bet. Kick jews out.
Lummy
Lummy

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:22 pm

jirqoadai wrote:im sorry for your religious bent CJ. i can see all sides. christian, cafflik muslim buda. it was terrifyingly shocking to me when i read LWW. then i saw the movie this theme of good vs half good and how God stacks the deck demands that the new story goes so far off the beaten path that the publisher demands complete seperation of storyline. i said borders. i did not say it was abject plagerism. it borders on it. like buggs bunny and elmo fudd with the shotgun vs mickey mouse with his .38. i guess if anything in LotR was original in thought sequence my evaluation would be in huge error.

The most lucid post you have written, An incite into your inner workings , And I thought you were cognitively impaired . You're a dark horse J JRR Tolkien was a devout Catholic Christian. - Page 5 293021872
vege57
vege57

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:01 pm

A French Translation. What's the history of that?
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by JMWinPR Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:00 am

@Calypso Jones you are so very kind. I think there are occasions when he doesn't have any idea what he is talking about.

JMWinPR

Calypso Jones likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lummy Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:22 pm

Please ... You're way off topic. Mad
Lummy
Lummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next