Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JRR Tolkien was a devout Catholic Christian.

+5
RV
Sprintcyclist
jirqoadai
Calypso Jones
Lummy
9 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

JRR Tolkien was a devout Catholic Christian. Empty JRR Tolkien was a devout Catholic Christian.

Post by Lummy Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:45 pm

J. R. R. Tolkien was a devout Roman Catholic from boyhood, and he described The Lord of the Rings in particular as a "fundamentally religious and Catholic work; unconsciously so at first, but consciously in the revision". While he insisted it was not an allegory, it contains numerous themes from Christian theology.
Lummy
Lummy

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

JRR Tolkien was a devout Catholic Christian. Empty Re: JRR Tolkien was a devout Catholic Christian.

Post by Lummy Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:49 pm

Lord of the Rings was extremely popular reading in 1960's academic culture, albeit outside academia.
Lummy
Lummy

Back to top Go down

JRR Tolkien was a devout Catholic Christian. Empty Re: JRR Tolkien was a devout Catholic Christian.

Post by Calypso Jones Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:33 pm

He said he didn't do that on purpose...you know...making it a christian allegory...but perhaps God had other purposes.

It is possible he did it that way but didn't want to admit it. I haven't decided yet.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by jirqoadai Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:01 am

his attempts at telling the story of Edmond in The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe borders on plagerism.
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:03 am

jirqoadai wrote:his attempts at telling the story of Edmond in The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe  borders on plagerism.

how so?
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by jirqoadai Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:17 am

im sorry for your religious bent CJ. i can see all sides. christian, cafflik muslim buda. it was terrifyingly shocking to me when i read LWW. then i saw the movie this theme of good vs half good and how God stacks the deck demands that the new story goes so far off the beaten path that the publisher demands complete seperation of storyline. i said borders. i did not say it was abject plagerism. it borders on it. like buggs bunny and elmo fudd with the shotgun vs mickey mouse with his .38. i guess if anything in LotR was original in thought sequence my evaluation would be in huge error.
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:30 am

jirqoadai wrote:im sorry for your religious bent CJ. i can see all sides. christian, cafflik muslim buda. it was terrifyingly shocking to me when i read LWW. then i saw the movie this theme of good vs half good and how God stacks the deck demands that the new story goes so far off the beaten path that the publisher demands complete seperation of storyline. i said borders. i did not say it was abject plagerism. it borders on it. like buggs bunny and elmo fudd with the shotgun vs mickey mouse with his .38. i guess if anything in LotR was original in thought sequence my evaluation would be in huge error.

don't feel sorry for my 'religous bent'.  I call it Biblical worldView.   HOWEVER, that does not prevent me from seeing 'all sides' as you say.  I ain't stupid even IF half the time i can't make our what you're sayin' and i mean no disrespect from that remark cause over half the people on here can't figure out what you're sayin'.  affraid JRR Tolkien was a devout Catholic Christian. 773625082

WHo was the half good in your opinion in the story. and what man is good. Man is a combination of good and evil...we can't help ourselves.   and Frankly...God does stack the deck so get used to it.    He can do as he pleases.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

JMWinPR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:24 am

So what?
They are terrific movies.

Sprintcyclist

Back to top Go down

Post by Lummy Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:23 am

I think the books are better because they engage more your imagination. The movies are excellent too, however.
Lummy
Lummy

HawkTheSlayer, Red Lily and Sprintcyclist like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:26 am

Lummy wrote:I think the books are better because they engage more your imagination. The movies are excellent too, however.

yes. They are..but you make a good point on the reading.  and they did use some poetic license in the movies.

still...some good lessons which hopefully will take.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

HawkTheSlayer and Lummy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next