Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Potato Towers

4 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Potato Towers - Page 2 Empty Re: Potato Towers

Post by HawkTheSlayer Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:31 pm

2cent wrote:
HawkTheSlayer wrote:
2cent wrote:We just finished up last year's red 'taters.  Odd thing happened this year.  Toward the end, they turned so sweet it was near obnoxiously so.  Last time, my husband thought I put sugar in them.  Potato Towers - Page 2 553500953
Cold.

If I put them in the fridge for a l9ng period of time, they get like that. Lol.
It's strange. Both red and white.
Well, this is the first time it's happened, and we've had 'taters last a lot longer than these.  Yeah, odd.  

Are you talking store bought, or homegrown?  
Both. Had dat happen to me many times. I eat em anyway. Lol.

I never ate a sweet tasting fresh or store bought potato unless it was old.
My taters are up now. And I saved all my tomato plants from the freeze.

But we get strong storms again tomorrow night. I have most of the little buggars tied. I'll finish tying the rest tomorrow so le gros vent( the big wind) doesn't beat them to death. The "Goliaths" already have open flowers. They are so close to the ground I'm skeered the maters will sit on the ground.

2cent likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:20 pm

vege57 wrote:The American Diabetes Association (ADA) recommend eating starchy vegetables, such as potatoes, as part of a healthful diet. Starch is a complex carbohydrate that takes the body longer to break down than simple sugars.

The politicization of diet.

No. PROTEIN, and some fat, is what's needed.

Starches are reduced to sugars.

Only in our world of quack medicine, would starch and carbs suddenly become good for diabetes. Because the Left has some burning need to demonize the source of protein - MEAT.

I monitor my blood sugar. And I have cheated on my diet. I sometimes have had to eat canned stew, with potatoes in it.

I have to go out for a long, fast walk afterwards, get things down to a better balance.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:20 am

HawkTheSlayer wrote:
2cent wrote:
HawkTheSlayer wrote:
2cent wrote:We just finished up last year's red 'taters.  Odd thing happened this year.  Toward the end, they turned so sweet it was near obnoxiously so.  Last time, my husband thought I put sugar in them.  Potato Towers - Page 2 553500953
Cold.

Well, this is the first time it's happened, and we've had 'taters last a lot longer than these.  Yeah, odd.  

But we get strong storms again tomorrow night. I have most of the little buggars tied.  I'll finish tying the rest tomorrow so le gros vent( the big wind) doesn't beat them to death. The "Goliaths" already have open flowers. They are so close to the ground I'm skeered the maters will sit on the ground.
Sheesh; you're wearing me out just reading about it! Kudos on saving your plants. Gardening sure is a labor of love, no?

You're so much out ahead of us, when it comes to the garden. I haven't looked up the last frost, but we don't dare plant yet. The plants that are (hopefully) coming home will get transplanted into buckets, which we'll bring in at night.

2cent
2cent

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:07 am

2cent wrote:
HawkTheSlayer wrote:
2cent wrote:
HawkTheSlayer wrote:
Cold.

But we get strong storms again tomorrow night. I have most of the little buggars tied.  I'll finish tying the rest tomorrow so le gros vent( the big wind) doesn't beat them to death. The "Goliaths" already have open flowers. They are so close to the ground I'm skeered the maters will sit on the ground.
Sheesh; you're wearing me out just reading about it!  Kudos on saving your plants.  Gardening sure is a labor of love, no?

You're so much out ahead of us, when it comes to the garden.   I haven't looked up the last frost, but we don't dare plant yet.  The plants that are (hopefully) coming home will get transplanted into buckets, which we'll bring in at night.  

I'm hoping no more temps in the 30s. Looks like an early spring.

We usually make a spring garden and a fall garden. Too hot to grow most things in the summer, here.

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:36 am

2cent wrote:
HawkTheSlayer wrote:
2cent wrote:
HawkTheSlayer wrote:
Cold.

Sheesh; you're wearing me out just reading about it!  Kudos on saving your plants.  Gardening sure is a labor of love, no?

You're so much out ahead of us, when it comes to the garden.   I haven't looked up the last frost, but we don't dare plant yet.  The plants that are (hopefully) coming home will get transplanted into buckets, which we'll bring in at night.  

Most folks havent started yet. They usually wait until April 1st or after the last frost. Except potatoes. Have to get that in the ground fairly early for a spring crop.
I'm very early this year. I looked at a lot of long range models and decided to go early.

2cent likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:03 pm

HawkTheSlayer wrote:Most folks havent started yet. They usually wait until April 1st or after the last frost. Except potatoes. Have to get that in the ground fairly early for a spring crop.
I'm very early this year. I looked at a lot of long range models and decided to go early.
We generally put our 'taters in on St. Patrick's Day, (Erin go Bragh! :drinks2: ), but not growing them this year.  Too hard.  
By when are you harvesting your 'taters?  Ours took around 4 months, so yeah, definitely HOT at harvest time.  (One year it was Aug. 6.  I got heat stroke.)
Anyhoo's, I'm betting you'll be glad of the early start.  I wish we could grow cauliflower, lettuce, and the like.  Doesn't do too well.  Maybe we can figure a small, fall crop.  
One year we gave up on the cauliflower.  Then, when we went out to the garden in the fall, long since it'd been harvested, lo' and behold!  THAR was cauliflower heads just waitin' to be picked.  lol
2cent
2cent

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:24 pm

2cent wrote:
HawkTheSlayer wrote:Most folks havent started yet. They usually wait until April 1st or after the last frost. Except potatoes. Have to get that in the ground fairly early for a spring crop.
We generally put our 'taters in on St. Patrick's Day, (Erin go Bragh!  :drinks2: ), but not growing them this year.  Too hard.  
By when are you harvesting your 'taters?  Ours took around 4 months, so yeah, definitely HOT at harvest time.  (One year it was Aug. 6.  I got heat stroke.)
Anyhoo's, I'm betting you'll be glad of the early start.  I wish we could grow cauliflower, lettuce, and the like.  Doesn't do too well.  Maybe we can figure a small, fall crop.  
One year we gave up on the cauliflower.  Then, when we went out to the garden in the fall, long since it'd been harvested, lo' and behold!  THAR was cauliflower heads just waitin' to be picked.  lol

Lol. Well I just saw 41 for sat morning and 39 for Sun morning. Flirtin with disaster.  

Taters take at least 90 days. Hence the reason for planting early so harvest early . Less heat. Plant early March or late Feb and still talking about harvesting in early June. It's too damn hot. Have to dig only what you can harvest by 10 am or the sun will kill you.

When I was in high school, i planted about half an acre of potatoes cut-sectioned into eye pieces. 300 pounds of seed potatoes. Lots of work from day one till the end. Rowing, fertilizing in the plant trench, planting, covering, packing.

Then off-barring rows, applying fertilizer to each side of the row, re hipping the rows, spraying for insects and fungus.

Then the task of digging with a lister/middle-buster and sifting through the rows for potatoes. No conveyer type potato digger.

Dug 7500 hundred pounds( 75/100lb sacks) . 25 to 1 yield. Very good!

Did it for two more years. The second year, 20 to 1 yield or 6000 pounds. Still very good..
The third year , I planted 3 sacks and dug 1 .,LOL

All weather dependent. We didn't have all the herbicides out there today. Even if we did, it rained so much, could never get in there to do anything! I had to first go in there with a bush hog and cut the Johnsongrass at the top of the row which was thick and three foot taller than my head on a high clearance tractor! Then open the rows. Find a little potato about every 20 feet.

Have to plant cauliflower, broccoli,  greens, carrots, lettuce, cabbage here in the winter.

Fall gardens start at the end of August or early Sept. and usually yield a more flavorful product as it ripens in the cool weather. Yield may be a little less. Depending on the timing of the first freeze.

Last edited by HawkTheSlayer on Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:08 pm; edited 5 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:32 pm

Dupe

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:58 pm

More technical difficulties.
Don't adjust your internet. Potato Towers - Page 2 773625082

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:07 pm