Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who likes Pimento Cheese?

+4
Red Lily
vege57
HawkTheSlayer
tiny1
8 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Who likes Pimento Cheese? - Page 4 Empty Re: Who likes Pimento Cheese?

Post by Red Lily Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:36 pm

With a little worcestershire sauce it would make a great Bloody Mary.
Red Lily
Red Lily

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:36 pm

HawkTheSlayer wrote:
vege57 wrote:
Red Lily wrote:My mother used to love it too but she always called it stinky cheese.  It stuck and no-one else ate it.  Maybe there was method in her madness and she just wanted it all to herself.

Its an acquired taste, I can remember a time when I wouldn't touch it,,

When i was young I would touch it but wouldn't eat it.  Who likes Pimento Cheese? - Page 4 773625082 Who likes Pimento Cheese? - Page 4 2812882407

yes but it sneaks up on you.

I've always liked blue cheese dressing with lots of chunks.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:39 pm

tiny1 wrote:
Calypso Jones wrote:I'd like to see your recipe for Chicken 'n Dumplings.  I haven't had it since my gramma passed away.   Hers was awesome.    Chicken in lovely fat dumplings in a cream sauce with peas.   You got anything like that??
I'll see if I can find it.  I usually just "wing it" without a recipe.
We're in luck.  Hmm.  I have been omitting a couple of things.    Embarassed

¾ cup milk
3 tbsp butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp chopped parsley
¾ tsp salt
¼ cup club soda

3 cups chicken stock
1 can cream of chicken
3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 potatoes, cubed
1 yellow onion, diced
1 rib celery, diced
½ cup diced carrot
½ green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
½ (10 ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 ¾ cups cream
salt and black pepper to taste
2 tbsp butter
1 cup chopped mushrooms.  I like to use morels, but they are expensive and hard to find, so I sub Shitakes.  Any mushroom you like, works.
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tbsp green onion

Heat milk and butter for dumplings in a saucepan over medium heat until butter melts. Remove from heat.

Combine flour, baking powder, parsley, and salt in a bowl. Stir in club soda and milk mixture until dough forms a ball, but do not overmix.
Cover dumpling dough and let stand for 30 minutes.

Combine chicken stock and cream of chicken soup in a large saucepan. Bring to a simmer over mid high heat. Add chicken, potatoes, onion, celery, carrot, bell pepper, peas, and thyme. Poach until chicken is no longer pink in the centers and vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate to cool; transfer vegetables to a bowl, leaving stock in the pan. Discard thyme.

Boil remaining stock over medium-high heat until reduced by 1/3, 5 to 7 minutes.

Meanwhile, pour cream into a small saucepan and heat over medium-high heat. Cook until reduced by about 1/2, 7 to 10 minutes. Whisk into reduced stock. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.

Chop cooled chicken into bite-sized pieces.

Melt butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir into stock mixture and add chicken and cooked vegetables.

Bring soup to a simmer over medium heat, adding more stock if necessary. Drop dumpling dough by teaspoons into the mixture. Cover and let simmer for 7 to 8 minutes. Serve hot garnished with parsley and green onion.

Now, that is the recipe I used when I was learning this dish.  Feel free to substitute rotisserie, baked, fried or boiled chicken.  With a few adjustments I made this in a Crock Pot before.  It is a blank slate and ready for your imaginative expertise.  Also, take short cuts. Make it your own.  Let me know if you like it.  It really is hard to mess it up.

I'm gonna try this but my gramma didn't use any canned soup...she had a white sauce. I'll try yours first then i'll start making that change...and that seems to be the only change i'd make.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:14 pm

Calypso Jones wrote:
tiny1 wrote:
Calypso Jones wrote:I'd like to see your recipe for Chicken 'n Dumplings.  I haven't had it since my gramma passed away.   Hers was awesome.    Chicken in lovely fat dumplings in a cream sauce with peas.   You got anything like that??
I'll see if I can find it.  I usually just "wing it" without a recipe.
We're in luck.  Hmm.  I have been omitting a couple of things.    Embarassed

¾ cup milk
3 tbsp butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp chopped parsley
¾ tsp salt
¼ cup club soda

3 cups chicken stock
1 can cream of chicken
3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 potatoes, cubed
1 yellow onion, diced
1 rib celery, diced
½ cup diced carrot
½ green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
½ (10 ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 ¾ cups cream
salt and black pepper to taste
2 tbsp butter
1 cup chopped mushrooms.  I like to use morels, but they are expensive and hard to find, so I sub Shitakes.  Any mushroom you like, works.
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tbsp green onion

Heat milk and butter for dumplings in a saucepan over medium heat until butter melts. Remove from heat.

Combine flour, baking powder, parsley, and salt in a bowl. Stir in club soda and milk mixture until dough forms a ball, but do not overmix.
Cover dumpling dough and let stand for 30 minutes.

Combine chicken stock and cream of chicken soup in a large saucepan. Bring to a simmer over mid high heat. Add chicken, potatoes, onion, celery, carrot, bell pepper, peas, and thyme. Poach until chicken is no longer pink in the centers and vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate to cool; transfer vegetables to a bowl, leaving stock in the pan. Discard thyme.

Boil remaining stock over medium-high heat until reduced by 1/3, 5 to 7 minutes.

Meanwhile, pour cream into a small saucepan and heat over medium-high heat. Cook until reduced by about 1/2, 7 to 10 minutes. Whisk into reduced stock. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.

Chop cooled chicken into bite-sized pieces.

Melt butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir into stock mixture and add chicken and cooked vegetables.

Bring soup to a simmer over medium heat, adding more stock if necessary. Drop dumpling dough by teaspoons into the mixture. Cover and let simmer for 7 to 8 minutes. Serve hot garnished with parsley and green onion.

Now, that is the recipe I used when I was learning this dish.  Feel free to substitute rotisserie, baked, fried or boiled chicken.  With a few adjustments I made this in a Crock Pot before.  It is a blank slate and ready for your imaginative expertise.  Also, take short cuts. Make it your own.  Let me know if you like it.  It really is hard to mess it up.

I'm gonna try this but my gramma didn't use any canned soup...she had a white sauce.   I'll try yours first then i'll start making that change...and that seems to be the only change i'd make.
One of my sis in laws makes a good chicken dumpling but it too, is soupy. I guess that's how they make it here.
Coonasses just didnt grow up eating dat!
I live on the west side of the Mississippi river, coonasses, but just a few miles away on the east side, Anglos.  We didn't mix too much cause all we had was a ferry crossing. Now we have a beautiful bridge that spans the river.

Back in the early 80s many of us met in college and lived in 2 neighboring apartment complexes.

Every Thursday night those "Anglo" girls would cook a huge pot of chicken dumplings for all of us! I think we all Put in like 3 dollars each. Lol.

Everything from scratch!  I mean they'd boil  whole chickens down in seasoning and shred it . And they're dumplings were unsurpassed and like none I've ever eaten to this day.. All homemade and I think they used baking powder.

But everything was finalized in a white sauce/gravy that had a heavy black pepper presence. Not hot,  but delicious pungent.

Red Lily and Calypso Jones like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:52 pm

I have developed a craving for chicken and dumplings after reading all this!  Now!  Right now!

My grandma used to make an amazing thing she called an apple roll and she never passed down the recipe. It was just in her head. I've tried to replicate it many times and failed miserably.
Red Lily
Red Lily

HawkTheSlayer and vege57 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny1 Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:56 am

Red Lily wrote:I have developed a craving for chicken and dumplings after reading all this!  Now!  Right now!

My grandma used to make an amazing thing she called an apple roll and she never passed down the recipe.  It was just in her head.  I've tried to replicate it many times and failed miserably.
I make a cinnamon Roll with apples. My Mom used to make Apple Cinnamon Sticky Buns. Is it along those lines?

tiny1

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:29 pm

tiny1 wrote:
Red Lily wrote:I have developed a craving for chicken and dumplings after reading all this!  Now!  Right now!

My grandma used to make an amazing thing she called an apple roll and she never passed down the recipe.  It was just in her head.  I've tried to replicate it many times and failed miserably.
I make a cinnamon Roll with apples.  My Mom used to make Apple Cinnamon Sticky Buns.  Is it along those lines?

She'd make this really soft luscious buttery pastry and then spread the apples, cinnamon and probably a bit of sugar (among other things) over that.   Then she'd roll it up into a roll and cut it in large slices.   She'd put them in a baking pan and make a type of butterscotch sauce that she'd pour over the slices and then bake it.

I've given up trying to replicate it.
Red Lily
Red Lily

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:33 pm

then i have a recipe for you. I don't think it sounds like what your grandma makes but it might make you happy. Apple dumpling in crescent roll dough. I don't have a better name. I'll think of one...or YOU think of one. Laughing

2 apples, cooking type
1 10 oz refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 c butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup OJ
1 t vanilla

peel core apples. Cut each apple in quarters, having a total of 8 pieces.

Separate crescent roll dough. Wrap apple quarter in each roll.

Place in a 9x9 aking dish...i spray it lightly .

Using your fingers, sprinkle with cinnamon.

In medium saucepan, combine butter, sugar, water and OJ. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

Pour that over dumplings.

Bake in 350 over for 20 minutes or until crest is golden brown.

Spoon liquid in baking dish over the hot dumplings and serve

Serve with scroop of vanilla ice creame.

Serves 8
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

HawkTheSlayer, Red Lily and tiny1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:09 am

Sounds great I'll try it. Thanks CJ. Who likes Pimento Cheese? - Page 4 3561531328
Red Lily
Red Lily

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny1 Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:23 pm

I make Cinnamon rolls like that.  But more often, I use puff pastry.

tiny1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next