Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hydrogen cars

+2
Lummy
HawkTheSlayer
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hydrogen cars Empty Hydrogen cars

Post by Sprintcyclist Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:46 am

Cumins are looking at hydrogen motors

.............. “Working with Cummins to navigate the journey to zero emissions means working with an experienced partner that has the right knowledge, tools, and resources to ensure a smooth transition,” said Jim Nebergall, General Manger, Hydrogen Engines at Cummins Inc. “Our customers are responding favorably to this practical technology. These engines look like engines, they sound like engines, and fit where engines normally fit,” he continued. ...........

https://www.cummins.com/news/releases/2022/05/09/cummins-inc-debuts-15-liter-hydrogen-engine-act-expo

Sprintcyclist

Back to top Go down

Hydrogen cars Empty Re: Hydrogen cars

Post by HawkTheSlayer Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:00 pm

Great tech and very practical, but I would not want to be in a wreck or work accident with a hydrogen fuel tank.

Sprint , I know you're a proponent of alternative fuels (I've been running mostly solar all day).

But let me ask you, where do you think the hydrogen will come from?

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:08 pm

Sprint, you know it takes more fossil fuel to make a solar panel than the panel can ever deliver in 10-15 years of useful life.
Yet the idiots have no idea how panels are manufactured out of coal in China.

For some applications, solar is the best. Especially for home use.

But you eventually encounter a quagmire of toxic wastes beyond belief with these 1000 acre solar farms.

And China doesn't take US solar panel wastes at the moment.

Let's move on.

Hydrogen, propulsion generation has no negative effect on the environment.
Or so you think. Just like free, solar electricity. Lol. The only by-product is water.

Since Sprint is sleeping, the only cheap, viable source of hydrogen comes from oil at the refinery level.

The refineries laugh at all this political bullshit.
As they make more money with every government restriction.

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:33 pm

There are a few problems with hydrogen.

First, containing it. Hydrogen being the smallest molecule (H2) on the planet...it will leak out. LITERALLY...PERMEATE metal containers - through the metal. Stable, safe containment is a problem.

Second is, there is no "stoichiometric" fuel/air mixes. ANY amount of hydrogen in oxygen is combustable.

With petrol, you can have too lean a mix - a whiff of gasoline, which is not a danger if the source of the vapor is contained - or too rich. It has to be at a proper fuel/air mix. That makes handling of the product much safer, less likely for it to touch off from vapors.

No such problem with hydrogen. If there's hydrogen in the air, and a flame about, it's going BOOM! Only question is, how much hydrogen is in the air - that will determine the intensity of the fireball.

There are many, many problems with such a system and such a fuel. Frankly, I'd expect CNG would work far better with vehicles.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:15 am

Look, I am not 'taking sides'.

It is of technical interest to me, same as EVs.
I'll possibly get a 'non-petrol' vehicle at some time

Sprintcyclist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:18 am

Casey Jones wrote:There are a few problems with hydrogen.

First, containing it.  Hydrogen being the smallest molecule (H2) on the planet...it will leak out.  LITERALLY...PERMEATE metal containers - through the metal.  Stable, safe containment is a problem.

Second is, there is no "stoichiometric" fuel/air mixes.  ANY amount of hydrogen in oxygen is combustable.

With petrol, you can have too lean a mix - a whiff of gasoline, which is not a danger if the source of the vapor is contained - or too rich.  It has to be at a proper fuel/air mix.  That makes handling of the product much safer, less likely for it to touch off from vapors.

No such problem with hydrogen.  If there's hydrogen in the air, and a flame about, it's going BOOM!  Only question is, how much hydrogen is in the air - that will determine the intensity of the fireball.

There are many, many problems with such a system and such a fuel.  Frankly, I'd expect CNG would work far better with vehicles.

I had a CNG powered car about 30 yeas ago. In NZ they added a CNG kit to existing cars. It was pretty good.

Sprintcyclist

Casey Jones and Lummy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:45 am

All our tractors were butane at one time.

Sprintcyclist likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lummy Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:48 pm

HawkTheSlayer wrote:Great tech and very practical, but I would not want to be in a wreck or work accident with a hydrogen fuel tank.

Sprint , I know you're a proponent of alternative fuels (I've been running mostly solar all day).

Water.
Lummy
Lummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crusader Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:18 pm

Lummy wrote:
HawkTheSlayer wrote:Great tech and very practical, but I would not want to be in a wreck or work accident with a hydrogen fuel tank.

Water.

What's the process to extract hydrogen? What are the byproducts? Oxygen?

How much heat does it take to extract it?

What are the pollution of this heat?(assuming it doesn't come directly from the Sun)

How do portable oxygen concentrators work and is hydrogen a byproduct? Could this be done on a large scale? Can the oxygen also be marketed? NOS? Portable oxygen tanks on the sidelines at kid's sporting events? Making hydrogen may not be worth it unless you can find a way to market the byproducts also.
Crusader
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:36 pm

Crusader wrote:
Lummy wrote:

Water.

What's the process to extract hydrogen?  What are the byproducts?  Oxygen?

How much heat does it take to extract it?

What are the pollution of this heat?(assuming it doesn't come directly from the Sun)

How do portable oxygen concentrators work and is hydrogen a byproduct?  Could this be done on a large scale?  Can the oxygen also be marketed?  NOS?  Portable oxygen tanks on the sidelines at kid's sporting events?  Making hydrogen may not be worth it unless you can find a way to market the byproducts also.

Hydrogen is created (in a free state) with electrolysis. Current is run through water, and hydrogen and oxygen are liberated.

You need electricity. Where does electricity come from? Leftists would tell us, "FROM OUTLETS!"

I see it as a zero-sum game, unless we decide to generate electricity from nuclear reactors.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

HawkTheSlayer, Crusader and Lummy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next