Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hybrid cars

+4
Casey Jones
Crusader
Lummy
Sprintcyclist
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Hybrid cars Empty Hybrid cars

Post by Sprintcyclist Thu May 19, 2022 7:08 am

Have been pondering hybrid vehicles, came up with this explanation for them.

A hybrid recycles the energy that is normally 100% lost during braking and reuses it when the engine most benefits from it.

I am warming up to a hybrid quite a lot.

Sprintcyclist

Back to top Go down

Hybrid cars Empty Re: Hybrid cars

Post by Lummy Thu May 19, 2022 8:59 am

Sprintcyclist wrote:Have been pondering hybrid vehicles, came up with this explanation for them.

A hybrid recycles the energy that is normally 100% lost during braking and reuses it when the engine most benefits from it.

I am warming up to a hybrid quite a lot.

Sorry, I don't follow you.
Lummy
Lummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Thu May 19, 2022 2:05 pm

A hybrid car, like a toyota prius.

They use regenerative power from the brakes, store it in a battery.
Use that power when the car is accelerating especially from a standing start.

Petrol motors are the least efficient when starting from a standing start.
Which is where an electric motor is most efficient. It has 100% torque from 0 rpm

Sprintcyclist

Lummy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Crusader Thu May 19, 2022 4:03 pm

I'll look harder into hybrids when they make a series hybrid.
Crusader
Crusader

Lummy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Thu May 19, 2022 7:15 pm

Crusader wrote:I'll look harder into hybrids when they make a series hybrid.

What is series hybrid?

Sprintcyclist

Back to top Go down

Post by Crusader Thu May 19, 2022 8:00 pm

An electric car with a small and efficient generator that runs at a steady optimum RPM for efficiency and low emissions.   A parallel system has a complicated transmission and is not as efficient.
The generator of a series system only has to put out the AVERAGE power usage instead of PEAK energy usage.  Maybe 30 HP?  The generator can be switched off for EV use or set up to turn on and off at set DC buss voltages.
Crusader
Crusader

Thom Paine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Thu May 19, 2022 9:02 pm

Crusader wrote:An electric car with a small and efficient generator that runs at a steady optimum RPM for efficiency and low emissions.   A parallel system has a complicated transmission and is not as efficient.
The generator of a series system only has to put out the AVERAGE power usage instead of PEAK energy usage.  Maybe 30 HP?  The generator can be switched off for EV use or set up to turn on and off at set DC buss voltages.

Thanks.

Yes, the toyota hybrid system is VERY complex

Hybrid cars ToyotaHybrid1

Sprintcyclist

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Fri May 20, 2022 12:26 am

Crusader wrote:An electric car with a small and efficient generator that runs at a steady optimum RPM for efficiency and low emissions.   A parallel system has a complicated transmission and is not as efficient.

This.

Steady-speed operation; more of a constant load on the engine - idling can charge the battery pack and that pack will backup a hard acceleration.

I don't know that "regenerative" braking matters much, or if it exists in these things. In battery powered vehicles, sure.

Diesel-electric locomotives have "dynamic" brakes - the circuitry of the traction motors is reversed, they become generators; and the power is...wait for it...sent to a heating grid between the cab and the radiator set. It's blown away as waste heat.

Dynamic braking is done because it's non-friction and infinitely controllable - unlike train air brakes, which - because they were designed about 1900, although modified...they are not. The engineer can apply them progressively; but there is no partial release.

A skilled engineer with good dynamic brakes can almost stop the train without using air.

But, back to hybrids: Steady-engine-speed operation, no throttling up or down (or little) means both fuel economy and emissions are going to benefit. I don't like complexity in consumer products, but Toyota's system has proven itself over 20 years.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Fri May 20, 2022 12:30 am

Casey Jones wrote:

This.

Steady-speed operation; more of a constant load on the engine - idling can charge the battery pack and that pack will backup a hard acceleration.

I don't know that "regenerative" braking matters much, or if it exists in these things.  In battery powered vehicles, sure.

Diesel-electric locomotives have "dynamic" brakes - the circuitry of the traction motors is reversed, they become generators; and the power is...wait for it...sent to a heating grid between the cab and the radiator set.  It's blown away as waste heat.

Dynamic braking is done because it's non-friction and infinitely controllable - unlike train air brakes, which - because they were designed about 1900, although modified...they are not.  The engineer can apply them progressively; but there is no partial release.

A skilled engineer with good dynamic brakes can almost stop the train without using air.

But, back to hybrids:  Steady-engine-speed operation, no throttling up or down (or little) means both fuel economy and emissions are going to benefit.  I don't like complexity in consumer products, but Toyota's system has proven itself over 20 years.

""I don't know that "regenerative" braking matters much, or if it exists in these things. In battery powered vehicles, sure.""

If you live in a hilly place like Auckland NZ it might have an impact

There are 48 volcanoes in the Auckland volcanic field, all within about 20 km of the city centre.
vege57
vege57

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Fri May 20, 2022 12:35 am

An impact in stopping, sure.

Not in recharging the battery. Because the engine, running, does that. And IIRC, those things don't work without the engine running. Maybe new ones do...but wasn't that the breakthrough of one of the GM battery-cars? It would run by battery for short hops, but then start the engine on a longer trip. Priuses didn't do that.

So, I would suggest (don't know for sure) that the electric braking doesn't contribute much to overall efficiency. Only to stopping ability.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Sprintcyclist likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next