Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barndominium Walk Through

+5
vege57
Red Lily
Casey Jones
Crusader
HawkTheSlayer
9 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Barndominium Walk Through  - Page 2 Empty Re: Barndominium Walk Through

Post by Crusader Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:01 pm

Thom Paine wrote:
Crusader wrote:I like it.  I like the isolated master suite.  Since I'm looking to build a home to retire in, I'd put the master on the bottom floor.  I'm considering a loft to fill the space of a 6/12 pitch roof and putting a pool table up there that overlooks the living room.  I'll add an office up there if space allows.  

They put their stairs out in the shop and I like that it's out of the way.

I like the doggy door and dedicated pet area.  They can come and go outside while I'm away and I could make sure they are not muddy before I let them in the house.  I may use that.

I like the hard floors.  They are easier to keep clean.  I'll put rugs anywhere I want softness.

The open shower in the master bath was pretty cool.  I also like that tub.  Being on the first floor, I don't want huge windows.  I may do an opaque glass brick window by the tub.

I want to save money by not covering the floors or ceilings.  Sealed concrete floors and exposed closed cell insulation painted black on the ceilings.  Walls will be sheetrock inside and painted OSB in the shop.

Minisplit AC supplemented by wood burning stove heat in the winter.

I want a 15x15 front porch on the front end of the house and a 60 ft porch down the North side of the house.

It seems like I get an idea or two out of every video I watch.  Thanks.

To my awareness, as a GC,  there is no where in the U.S that above highlited is legal.... Fire problems.    
It must be covered at minimum 1/2 " drywall.  

just an fyi for your investigation.

Thank you. I'll look into it. While there are no inspections outside of most Texas cities, I do want to build it to code and will check it out.
Crusader
Crusader

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Crusader Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:26 pm

I'll look more into it, but here is what I have read so far. The insulation will burn, but the ignition temperature is very high. You can put a lighter to it and it will burn, but extinguish as soon as you remove the flame. It will put out some nasty smoke if burned. Most fire inspectors require that the insulation be covered with fire resistant paint. I was planning on painting anyway, so I'll find the right flame resistant paint to apply.
Crusader
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:41 pm

I've got to show this to my son. This is how he lives. ONLY, his living area is on the upper floor because he has a great view of the mountains and it is neat to be upstairs.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

HawkTheSlayer, Crusader and Thom Paine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Thom Paine Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:49 am

Crusader wrote:I'll look more into it, but here is what I have read so far.  The insulation will burn, but the ignition temperature is very high.  You can put a lighter to it and it will burn, but extinguish as soon as you remove the flame.  It will put out some nasty smoke if burned.  Most fire inspectors require that the insulation be covered with fire resistant paint.  I was planning on painting anyway, so I'll find the right flame resistant paint to apply.

I'll check the latest IRC. There may be changes. Probably should have checked it before opening my mouth.

While Spray foam, coated by intumescent paint, is frequently used in commercial or industrial locations, it has not been allowed in residential structures; gasses created by fire are deadly.

Note: all "fireproof" coatings are not equal.

oKAYYYY..... IRC 316.4 is where you will find the info;

Also, you can check with a local Fire code inspector and your Insurance co.

Thom Paine

Crusader likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Crusader Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:41 am

Thom Paine wrote:
Crusader wrote:I'll look more into it, but here is what I have read so far.  The insulation will burn, but the ignition temperature is very high.  You can put a lighter to it and it will burn, but extinguish as soon as you remove the flame.  It will put out some nasty smoke if burned.  Most fire inspectors require that the insulation be covered with fire resistant paint.  I was planning on painting anyway, so I'll find the right flame resistant paint to apply.

I'll check the latest IRC.  There may be changes.   Probably should have checked it before opening my mouth.

While Spray foam,  coated by intumescent paint, is frequently used in commercial or industrial locations, it has not been allowed in residential structures;  gasses created by fire are deadly.  

Note:  all "fireproof" coatings are not equal.

oKAYYYY.....    IRC 316.4       is where you will find the info;  

It's looking like a thermal barrier will be necessary. Paint would only provide an ignition barrier. I'll likely have to decide between sheetrock and sheet metal.
Crusader
Crusader

Thom Paine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:55 am

Looks like an cold hard unemotional house.

I prefer old wooden houses that creak, move and breathe.

Sprintcyclist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thom Paine Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:08 am

Crusader wrote:
Thom Paine wrote:

I'll check the latest IRC.  There may be changes.   Probably should have checked it before opening my mouth.

While Spray foam,  coated by intumescent paint, is frequently used in commercial or industrial locations, it has not been allowed in residential structures;  gasses created by fire are deadly.  

Note:  all "fireproof" coatings are not equal.

oKAYYYY.....    IRC 316.4       is where you will find the info;  

It's looking like a thermal barrier will be necessary.   Paint would only provide an ignition barrier.   I'll likely have to decide between sheetrock and sheet metal.

Glad the info helped.

Like all, I don't know everything though I know a lotta' stuff about a lotta' stuff with building.  Building codes can be quite complex.

More important is the knowledge to identify a potential problem and knowing where to find the answer.

If I  might help with ideas, methods, or regulations ...  do ask.  :thumbsup2:

Thom Paine

HawkTheSlayer, Red Lily and Crusader like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:13 am

My son in law took a two story 'shed' premade and did his own work to turn it into a pool house.   The interior walls are from pallets that have been sanded and then stained.  He put in a small, SMALL bath with shower, The upstairs is a bedroom, the down is a living room, bath, small kitchen, two entrances off deck and allows a flow of air if they aren't using the AC.

This is similar to unfinished upstairs

Barndominium Walk Through  - Page 2 9f1e141bf4db21dd651955b71ea4b5eb
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:18 am

sanded stained pallet boards...similar to what he did. Initially he sanded himself but it was too time consuming so he had the pallet company do the sanding, he purchased them sanded and daughter stained them herself.

Barndominium Walk Through  - Page 2 4eabb430920dfac9fbdf2290553380ba
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:23 am

Barndominium Walk Through  - Page 2 6e6ecfea578ba42bc6f5bba170207d1d
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

HawkTheSlayer and Crusader like this post

Back to top Go down