Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meatball Stew

3 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Meatball Stew - Page 2 Empty Re: Meatball Stew

Post by HawkTheSlayer Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:23 pm

vege57 wrote:
HawkTheSlayer wrote:
Red Lily wrote:I still don't understand what you mean by "instant roux" or "jar roux."

Here a roux is just the start of gravy and what you make from pan drippings and flour then you add stock and turn it into gravy.  You get flour and fat in a jar there and then turn that into gravy?

If a recipe says to make a roux here it means to make a kind of paste then you add the stock, milk (for white or cheese sauce) etc for the gravy or sauce.
I'll have to show it to you in person!

I prefer to cook off my flour and fat/oil in a pan then add the liquid . or brown the flour a little in the pan then add the oil
It can be done either way. And you don't even have to add the oil.

vege57 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:30 pm

I made myself curried eggs for brekkie yesterday, a couple of hard boiled eggs , Cut in half placed on a couple of slices on whole meal toast, I tend to use extra virgin olive oil for my rue, pop some oil in the pan cook off the curry powder salt and pepper for a bit, throw in the flour then add milk , I like a nice thick rue , then pour it over the eggs , Damn it was good
vege57
vege57

HawkTheSlayer and Red Lily like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:32 pm

HawkTheSlayer wrote:
vege57 wrote:
HawkTheSlayer wrote:
Red Lily wrote:I still don't understand what you mean by "instant roux" or "jar roux."

Here a roux is just the start of gravy and what you make from pan drippings and flour then you add stock and turn it into gravy.  You get flour and fat in a jar there and then turn that into gravy?

If a recipe says to make a roux here it means to make a kind of paste then you add the stock, milk (for white or cheese sauce) etc for the gravy or sauce.
I'll have to show it to you in person!

I prefer to cook off my flour and fat/oil in a pan then add the liquid . or brown the flour a little in the pan then add the oil
It can be done either way. And you don't even have to add the oil.

True, but I'm a traditionalist , And like too do it the way my mumma taught me lol
vege57
vege57

HawkTheSlayer and Red Lily like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2