Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meatball Stew

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Meatball Stew Empty Meatball Stew

Post by HawkTheSlayer Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:50 pm

Ground beef
Dry Onion soup mix
Salt
Pepper
Spices
Or Tony Chachere's

Make roux or use jar roux or shake, instant roux

White beans
Sausage
Onion
Bell pepper
Celery
Season to taste.

Long grain rice or Jasmine Rice

AMOUNT AND DIRECTIONS

No amount. Lol
Season the meat with whatever you like. Add a Tbl or 2 of water to rehydrate the onions in the soup mix. Let it sit in the fridge a few hours or overnight.
Make some meatballs and brown them the next day.

Cook the beans.

Cook the rice.

Lay a bed of rice on a plate. Make a depression. Put some meatballs in there. Cover them with beans and sausage. Make the depression a liitle deeper. Cover it all with gravy .

Can or pack gravy can be used.

Tonnerre et e'clair! Mais c'est si bon, Ouais!

Red Lily and vege57 like this post

Back to top Go down

Meatball Stew Empty Re: Meatball Stew

Post by HawkTheSlayer Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:55 pm

I working on a variation of that , right now.
I have 4 small hamburgers keeping warm on the pit.
And some pinto beans I cooked for 6 hours.

I dont think I'll need to make gravy or rice.
Just cover the burgers up with beans.

That's the short version. Meatball Stew 773625082

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:46 pm

I still don't understand what you mean by "instant roux" or "jar roux."

Here a roux is just the start of gravy and what you make from pan drippings and flour then you add stock and turn it into gravy. You get flour and fat in a jar there and then turn that into gravy?

If a recipe says to make a roux here it means to make a kind of paste then you add the stock, milk (for white or cheese sauce) etc for the gravy or sauce.
Red Lily
Red Lily

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:48 pm

Red Lily wrote:I still don't understand what you mean by "instant roux" or "jar roux."

Here a roux is just the start of gravy and what you make from pan drippings and flour then you add stock and turn it into gravy.  You get flour and fat in a jar there and then turn that into gravy?

If a recipe says to make a roux here it means to make a kind of paste then you add the stock, milk (for white or cheese sauce) etc for the gravy or sauce.
I'll have to show it to you in person!

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:49 pm

HawkTheSlayer wrote:
Red Lily wrote:I still don't understand what you mean by "instant roux" or "jar roux."

Here a roux is just the start of gravy and what you make from pan drippings and flour then you add stock and turn it into gravy.  You get flour and fat in a jar there and then turn that into gravy?

A roux here just means the consistency of the flour and fat before you add the stock to turn it into gravy. Language barrier strikes again Lol.
Red Lily
Red Lily

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:55 pm

Meatball Stew Image_10

Pre cooked , dark roux. Investigate. Makes brown gravy and gumbo.
You can make extra yourself and do the same thing. Save it in a Jar.

You have to be there, stirring constantly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:00 pm

I can make gravy just fine Lol. I wouldn't save the roux though and usually only make just enough for what I need.

Different horses ... and all that. Meatball Stew 553500953

Your meatball stew sounds yummy though! Meatball Stew 3561531328
Red Lily
Red Lily

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:00 pm

Meatball Stew 20220113
Fish balls and dry, shake roux/Brown gravy mix. My preference when I don't make my own. No oil. Instant blending in hot or cold liquid or stock
Check them out on the net.

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:10 pm

Red Lily wrote:
HawkTheSlayer wrote:

A roux here just means the consistency of the flour and fat before you add the stock to turn it into gravy.  Language barrier strikes again Lol.
It's about the color and flavor consistency which renders a nutty flavor. There is white roux where you just cook the flour enough to kill the rawness. Then you have light brown roux. Better for butter based roux becau se butter burns easily. These are great for etoufees.
Then you have the standard workhorse, dark brown roux for gravies and gumbo. The only difference is the amount used. More for a thick gravy. Less for gumbo.

Here it is in 2 minutes.

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:16 pm

HawkTheSlayer wrote:

I prefer to cook off my flour and fat/oil in a pan then add the liquid . or brown the flour a little in the pan then add the oil
vege57
vege57

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next