Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's with All this Flavorless Bacon?

4 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What's with All this Flavorless Bacon? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's with All this Flavorless Bacon?

Post by HawkTheSlayer Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:04 pm

2cent wrote:
HawkTheSlayer wrote:
2cent wrote:Hawk, I hear ya on the Oscar Mayer.  Pricey.  And like ya say, no better than the other brands.  But, I was desperate, so splurged, thinking MAYBE it'd provide some flavor.

FAIL!  

But, jsyk, I generally buy Wright's, and now that you mention it, have had Covered Wagon, as well.
Got a Dent 'n Scratch that sells those 10lb boxes, but haven't been that way in a long while.  It's the kind of place that's hit or miss when it comes to what's on the shelves.

You put SIX OUNCES of bacon on ONE sandwich??!!   What a Face  Thaz a lotta bacon.  lol

When you get around to cooking up some of your more recent buys, let me know how it tastes?

Wright's vacuum packed bacon is excellent
6 oz of raw bacon might be 2 oz of crispy bacon when I finish with it. Lol. There's about 10 or 12 slices of super thin slices in a 12 0z pack of bacon . When you cook dat in a skillet or "tree" microwave cooker, the end product is about one third to one quarter the original size. But have no fear! I save all dat bacon grease. But I don't mix package bacon grease with 10 lb box bacon grease. Package grease is far better tasting to cook with.

I come from GratonLand ! Fresh Cracklins Rule Here!
Cracklins are just fresh( unsmoked bacon sides with attached skin) bacon sides about an inch and a half or two thick and cut into about 1 inch cubes and rendered out( slow fried in a large cast iron, rounded bottom kettle)  until crispy and done.

You were mentioning "slab bacon".
My parents and grandparents were in the grocery business for 73 years. (1931-2004).

In the 60s, no one bought packaged bacon. Bacon was sliced fresh in store to the customer desired thickness from smoked slabs of real bacon sides.

Slab bacon went out of favor as people got lazy. Lol.
Unlike bacon today, it still had the skin attached.

People would freak if they bought a pack of bacon and the skin was still attached. What's with All this Flavorless Bacon? - Page 2 773625082
Dude, that's what we call pork rinds.  Cracklins is a bit different.

My dear heart grew up with all the Mennonite families gathering for pig slaughtering day.  Part of it was putting this huge cast iron pot that fit perfectly over a 55 gal drum where the fire was built.  About 10 gallons of fat would get dumped in that, and what didn't boil down got scooped out, and that is what they called "cracklins."

The part w/some skin on it is what they called pork rinds.  

But yeah, people probably would freak if they saw some skin on their bacon.  They wouldn't know what to do with it. lol

Back to top Go down

What's with All this Flavorless Bacon? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's with All this Flavorless Bacon?

Post by vege57 Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:28 pm

""But yeah, people probably would freak if they saw some skin on their bacon. They wouldn't know what to do with it. lol""

People are slowly losing touch with where their food comes from
vege57
vege57

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:28 pm

2cent wrote:
HawkTheSlayer wrote:
2cent wrote:Hawk, I hear ya on the Oscar Mayer.  Pricey.  And like ya say, no better than the other brands.  But, I was desperate, so splurged, thinking MAYBE it'd provide some flavor.

FAIL!  

But, jsyk, I generally buy Wright's, and now that you mention it, have had Covered Wagon, as well.
Got a Dent 'n Scratch that sells those 10lb boxes, but haven't been that way in a long while.  It's the kind of place that's hit or miss when it comes to what's on the shelves.

You put SIX OUNCES of bacon on ONE sandwich??!!   What a Face  Thaz a lotta bacon.  lol

When you get around to cooking up some of your more recent buys, let me know how it tastes?

6 oz of raw bacon might be 2 oz of crispy bacon when I finish with it. Lol. There's about 10 or 12 slices of super thin slices in a 12 0z pack of bacon . When you cook dat in a skillet or "tree" microwave cooker, the end product is about one third to one quarter the original size. But have no fear! I save all dat bacon grease. But I don't mix package bacon grease with 10 lb box bacon grease. Package grease is far better tasting to cook with.

Cracklins are just fresh( unsmoked bacon sides with attached skin) bacon sides about an inch and a half or two thick and cut into about 1 inch cubes and rendered out( slow fried in a large cast iron, rounded bottom kettle)  until crispy and done.

My parents and grandparents were in the grocery business for 73 years. (1931-2004).

In the 60s, no one bought packaged bacon. Bacon was sliced fresh in store to the customer desired thickness from smoked slabs of real bacon sides.

People would freak if they bought a pack of bacon and the skin was still attached. What's with All this Flavorless Bacon? - Page 2 773625082

My dear heart grew up with all the Mennonite families gathering for pig slaughtering day.  Part of it was putting this huge cast iron pot that fit perfectly over a 55 gal drum where the fire was built.  About 10 gallons of fat would get dumped in that, and what didn't boil down got scooped out, and that is what they called "cracklins."

But yeah, people probably would freak if they saw some skin on their bacon.  They wouldn't know what to do with it. lol
They wouldn't be able to stand the hard skin. Cooking pork skins requires much skill.
Cracklins are not pork rinds. Pork rinds are a separate thing . Those pork rinds with a little skin you buy in a bag at the store are sometimes called cracklinson the bag. Lol . I like them too.

But in no way is that a real cracklin!
I'll try to find a vid on cooking real cracklin.

Those pork skin pellets for making home rinds are good too. You can buy them here or online. Drop them medium hot oil and they puff up in less than a minute.
They make those by frying the skins at around 275 for a cupla hours or more. Then after cooling they drop the pellets in 400 oil and then they puff almost immediately. It's a two step process for pork rinds in the bag.

This actually holds true for real cracklin too. After they are cooked, the better cracklin cookers take them out of the oil to cool completely. Then heat the remaining lard to 350-400 and drop the cooled off produck into the hot oil to make the skins "pop" and bubble, tenderizing them without burning the rendered out fat and meat below the skins.

Here you go @2cent . It's 5 minutes and has it all down . Only difference is, we would do 60 pounds at a time.

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:41 pm

HawkTheSlayer wrote:
2cent wrote:
HawkTheSlayer wrote:

FAIL!  

They wouldn't be able to stand the hard skin. Cooking pork skins requires much skill.
Cracklins are not pork rinds. Pork rinds are a separate thing . Those pork rinds with a little skin you buy in a bag at the store are sometimes called cracklinson the bag.  Lol . I like them too.

I'll try  to find a vid on cooking real cracklin.

Those pork skin pellets for making home rinds are good too. You can buy them here or online. Drop them  medium hot oil and they puff up in less than a minute.
They make those by frying the skins at around 275 for a cupla hours or more. Then after cooling they drop the pellets in 400 oil and then they puff almost immediately.  It's a two step process for pork rinds in the bag.

This actually holds true for real cracklin too. After they are cooked, the better cracklin cookers take them out of the oil to cool completely. Then heat the remaining lard to 350-400 and drop the cooled off produck into the hot oil to make the skins "pop" and bubble, tenderizing them without burning the rendered out fat and meat below the skins.

Here you go   @2cent . It's 5 minutes and has it all down . Only difference is, we would do 60 pounds at a time.

Lol. Adding peanuts? I knew I shoulda put up a coonass video.

Here's how it's really done  @2cent  and   @vege57 .

2 minutes long.

Red Lily and vege57 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:19 pm

I have cured my own bacon a few times, I made some nice cold smoked salmon a while back,

That boy looks like hes sampled a bit of the product lol
vege57
vege57

HawkTheSlayer and vege57 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FatBack Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:48 pm

vege57 wrote:

FAIL!  

Could this be a medical issue, can you still taste your husbands flatulence ?
You are quite the asshat, aren't you?
FatBack
FatBack

vege57 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:51 pm

FatBack wrote:
vege57 wrote:

FAIL!  

Its a common symptom of covid, you lose your sense of smell and taste, Just concerned for the girl,
vege57
vege57

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:10 am

HawkTheSlayer wrote:
2cent wrote:
HawkTheSlayer wrote:

FAIL!  

Cracklins are not pork rinds. Pork rinds are a separate thing . Those pork rinds with a little skin you buy in a bag at the store are sometimes called cracklinson the bag.  Lol . I like them too.

I'll try  to find a vid on cooking real cracklin.

Those pork skin pellets for making home rinds are good too. You can buy them here or online. Drop them  medium hot oil and they puff up in less than a minute.
They make those by frying the skins at around 275 for a cupla hours or more. Then after cooling they drop the pellets in 400 oil and then they puff almost immediately.  It's a two step process for pork rinds in the bag.

Here you go   @2cent . It's 5 minutes and has it all down . Only difference is, we would do 60 pounds at a time.

Yes, I just got through saying that pork rinds and cracklins are two different things.  All I know comes second-hand from the guy who grew up around it all.  Mr. 2 was quite young at the time, but does remember there being a major process to all the work that went into the butchering, the cracklins, pork rinds, and the whole 9 yards.  

As for myself, I've never had the pleasure of partaking in either.
2cent
2cent

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FatBack Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:25 pm

vege57 wrote:
FatBack wrote:
vege57 wrote:

FAIL!  

Its a common symptom of covid, you lose your sense of smell and taste, Just concerned for the girl,
Go blow smoke up someone else's ass.
FatBack
FatBack

vege57 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:58 pm

FatBack wrote:
vege57 wrote:
FatBack wrote:
vege57 wrote:

FAIL!  

Go blow smoke up someone else's ass.

Bend over chubby I'll and ill blow a wad of something up yours, lol
vege57
vege57

vege57 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next