Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tuna Casseroles

+7
JMWinPR
2cent
Daily Bread
Red Lily
vege57
HawkTheSlayer
Calypso Jones
11 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Tuna Casseroles - Page 5 Empty Re: Tuna Casseroles

Post by tiny1 Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:15 pm

jirqoadai wrote:Tiny. your " fresh tuna steaks " might be halibut, orang roughy, or even sheephead. theyve recently done a DNA test on almost all fish for sale from every country. spain lies 60% of the time, with the US being " truthfull " 60% of the time. this translates to that youve been buying fish thats branded as what you pay for, and not what youre actualy eating
While I appreciate your opinion on this, I buy Sashimi Grade Fish.  Tuna, Salmon and Halibut.  I also buy Eel.
I was born in San Diego.  Been going out on Tuna Boats since I learned to walk.  
What you speak of, is mostly White Tuna.  Since there is no real "white" tuna, that is a give away.  Albacore is the lightest of the tuna varieties.  
Some folks try to slip you Swordfish for tuna.  Also, Mako Shark has red flesh.  I can tell the difference in texture and taste.
The real indicator, is that it is cheap.  Any less than 20 bucks a pound, and you have to suspect that you are being duped.  
I buy only REAL tuna.  26-40 bucks a pound.  And, I only buy Grade #1 & Grade #2+ red tuna, as Black fin, Blue fin and Yellow fin.  You see, I usually eat my tuna, raw.  Sometimes I make Ceviche, but prefer Sashimi.
I appreciate your input, and those who seldom deal in Fresh Fish should take heed.  I know the difference, and have complete faith in my Fish Monger.

tiny1

jirqoadai likes this post

Back to top Go down

Tuna Casseroles - Page 5 Empty Re: Tuna Casseroles

Post by vege57 Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:01 pm

tiny1 wrote:I like this one.

1 16 oz pkg egg noodles, cooked.
2 tbsp evoo.
2 - 6 oz. fresh tuna steaks
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cans condensed cream of celery soup
1/2 C whole milk
1 10 oz bag frozen peas/carrots.
1 C shredded sharp cheddar cheese
10-12 Ritz crackers, crumbled

Cook noodles, according to instructions.
Preheat oven to 375F.
In a medium sized skillet, heat olive oil over med heat. Dry the tuna  with paper towels.  Season with salt and pepper.
Place the steaks in the pan and cook until browned on both sides and internal temp is 120 F. Transfer to a small bowl.
Flake the tuna into bite size chunks.
In a large bowl, combine noodles, soup, milk, peas/carrots and tuna.
Spoon the mixture in a 2.5 quart baking dish spread into an even layer.
Top with cheese and crumbled crackers.
Place the casserole in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Serve hot.

I am with Hawk.  Gotta start with a fresh Tuna Steak to get me to sample it.

You and calypso work in the prison kitchen together ?
vege57
vege57

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5