Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tuna Casseroles

+7
JMWinPR
2cent
Daily Bread
Red Lily
vege57
HawkTheSlayer
Calypso Jones
11 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Tuna Casseroles - Page 2 Empty Re: Tuna Casseroles

Post by 2cent Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:11 pm

HawkTheSlayer wrote:Why make so much damned work?!
50 cent box of Mac  & cheese.
50 cent can of tuna.

Cook mac and cheese. Add tuna.
A little cayenne and fresh cracked black pepper on top.

Or you can buy a box of Tuna Helper for 3 times the price.

I come from "The Land of Rice and Boudin" . I don't think I've ever eaten fish and rice together unless the fish was cooked in a couvillion or fish gravy like "sauce piquant"  and served over rice.

The possibilities are endless , though.
I like tuna casserole, too, but that is just plain cruel to do to food, much less, anyone you love.

But, a little beside my point, atm.

My husband goes fishing late Sept.- early Dec., and we're able to put up a fairly good store. Mostly bass, but gets some crappie and walleye, now and then. (Put a little water in the freezer bags, and it stays fresher.)

When I saw the price of tuna skyrocket, while the quality hit the dumpster, the tuna stayed on the shelves. They could keep it. Still, I missed it.

Then it occurred to me to make "tuna" salads out of the fish my husband caught! So, when I'm fixing fish for dinner, I cook extra, and put the spare in the fridge, to flake up for a salad.

Chopped onion and celery; a bit of relish, a splash of chili sauce, a squeeze of mustard and lemon, then add enough mayo to how moist you want it.

Heck of a lot tastier than that stuff ya get out of a can.

Can't think of what to call it, though, 'cuz "Bass Salad" just doesn't sound right.

**P.S. Where the heck are you getting Mac 'N Cheese, and tuna for .50 each?

2cent
2cent

Calypso Jones likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:23 pm

2cent wrote:
50 cent can of tuna.

I come from "The Land of Rice and Boudin" . I don't think I've ever eaten fish and rice together unless the fish was cooked in a couvillion or fish gravy like "sauce piquant"  and served over rice.

I like tuna casserole, too, but that is just plain cruel to do to food, much less, anyone you love.

My husband goes fishing late Sept.- early Dec., and we're able to put up a fairly good store.  Mostly bass, but gets some crappie and walleye, now and then.  (Put a little water in the freezer bags, and it stays fresher.)

When I saw the price of tuna skyrocket, while the quality hit the dumpster, the tuna stayed on the shelves.  They could keep it.  Still, I missed it.

Then it occurred to me to make "tuna" salads out of the fish my husband caught!  So, when I'm fixing fish for dinner, I cook extra, and put the spare in the fridge, to flake up for a salad.  

Chopped onion and celery; a bit of relish, a splash of chili sauce, a squeeze of mustard and lemon, then add enough mayo to how moist you want it.  

Can't think of what to call it, though, 'cuz "Bass Salad" just doesn't sound right.  

**P.S.  Where the heck are you getting Mac 'N Cheese, and tuna for .50 each?

Store brand mac &cheese 2/$1 all da time. Bought some 4/$1, 2 weeks ago just because it was so cheap. Lol

Cheapest can tuna I've seen is about 75 cents a can. I'm not crazy about tuna less it's a fresh tuna steak.
Or taco....... lol! affraid

Red Lily and 2cent like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:11 pm

Wow, Hawk, good find. We per Arkies gots to pay at least $1.00, and see that as a 'good find.'

I'll NOT pay $1.00 for that mush in a can that's labeled as "tuna." Not. Gonna. Happen.

Wish I'd gotten a little more kudos for my idea of making out of fresh, though. Sheesh, what's it take around here? Hauling in a monstrous tuna by hand?!
2cent
2cent

HawkTheSlayer and Red Lily like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:13 pm

2cent wrote:
50 cent can of tuna.

My husband goes fishing late Sept.- early Dec., and we're able to put up a fairly good store.  Mostly bass, but gets some crappie and walleye, now and then.  (Put a little water in the freezer bags, and it stays fresher.)

When I saw the price of tuna skyrocket, while the quality hit the dumpster, the tuna stayed on the shelves.  They could keep it.  Still, I missed it.

Then it occurred to me to make "tuna" salads out of the fish my husband caught!  So, when I'm fixing fish for dinner, I cook extra, and put the spare in the fridge, to flake up for a salad.  

Call it Tuna surprise? Lol
Red Lily
Red Lily

HawkTheSlayer and 2cent like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:20 pm

2cent wrote:Wow, Hawk, good find.  We per Arkies gots to pay at least $1.00, and see that as a 'good find.'

I'll NOT pay $1.00 for that mush in a can that's labeled as "tuna."  Not. Gonna.  Happen.

Wish I'd gotten a little more kudos for my idea of making out of fresh, though.  Sheesh, what's it take around here?  Hauling in a monstrous tuna by hand?!

Lolol. I got busy. I was going to kudo you.

2cent likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:21 pm

PROPER Tuna Casserole:

8 oz. noodles
12 oz. tuna
4 oz. sliced mushrooms, drained
1 jar/2 oz. pimentos
1 1/2 cups Sour Cream
3/4 C. Milk
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 C. bread crumbs
1/4 C. Parmesan Cheese
2 TB. butter, melted

Cook up yer noodles.  Mix 'em w/all of the above. Mix the bread crumbs and cheese into the melted butter, and sprinkle atop.

Back in 350* oven, uncovered, 35-40 mins.  Sprinkle on some parsley, in'n y'ant to.

Last edited by 2cent on Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
2cent
2cent

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:24 pm

Red Lily wrote:
2cent wrote:
50 cent can of tuna.

Call it Tuna surprise?   Lol
ROFLMAO!

OOPS!  Negate that ROFLMAO comment.  I was on the wrong post.  

I wouldn't exactly call it "Bad Ass Bass," but it's closer.  lol

Last edited by 2cent on Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
2cent
2cent

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:29 pm

Y'know when my kids were little they wouldn't eat fish. "We don't like fish" wah wah wah!

So I turned the fish into a really nice pie with a crumb on top and called it "chicken pie". Well guess what? They loved it.

"What's for dinner tonight?" "Chicken pie" "Oh goody yum yum yum"

Years later I told them it was fish and they never forgave me and still to this day rant on and on and on about the 'chicken' pie. Rolling Eyes
Red Lily
Red Lily

HawkTheSlayer, Daily Bread and 2cent like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:32 pm

Red Lily wrote:Y'know when my kids were little they wouldn't eat fish.   "We don't like fish" wah wah wah!

So I turned the fish into a really nice pie with a crumb on top and called it "chicken pie".   Well guess what?   They loved it.  

"What's for dinner tonight?"   "Chicken pie"   "Oh goody yum yum yum"

Years later I told them it was fish and they never forgave me and still to this day rant on and on and on about the 'chicken' pie.   Rolling Eyes
Funny how they'll latch on ...so long as they don't know what they're eating.

I never could fool my kids, though. I cooked beef tongue, and called it steak, slicing it like ya would flank steak. Didn't fall for it, but ate it, anyway. It was either that, or go hungry.
2cent
2cent

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:36 pm

They ate most everything except fish and to hear them tell the story now you'd think I intentionally tried to poison them and they only survived by sheer luck.
Red Lily
Red Lily

HawkTheSlayer and 2cent like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next