Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHAT if everything they've been telling you about food is wrong?

+2
Sprintcyclist
Calypso Jones
6 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

WHAT if everything they've been telling you about food is wrong? - Page 2 Empty Re: WHAT if everything they've been telling you about food is wrong?

Post by HawkTheSlayer Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:34 pm

2cent wrote:
Casey Jones wrote:
2cent wrote:My post above came out as if I was bragging on myself.  Didn't mean for that.  All it was meant to purvey is that it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to immediately realize that that Food Pyramid was out to kill ya, and my mom was glad her kids were bright enough to see it.  

***QUESTION:   Why is breakfast "the most important meal of the day?"

Any of you mind answering that one?  

I'm not a nutritionist, but I can guess.

Because you've been, likely, over 14 hours without food.  And sleep is not always restful - people go through a lot with vivid dreams; they thrash, they have elevated blood pressure.  It's sleep, and it's needed, but it's not always restful.

It's energetic.  Calorie-consuming, sometimes.

So, especially if you're older, you may wake up with low-blood sugar.  Stressing the system, high glucose or low, is not good.

Now.  What the old study (with many flaws), the Iowa Breakfast Studies, tried to show, was that children who ate a substantial breakfast did better in school classes.  Now there could be other reasons - kids who ate well in the morning, likely had involved parents, and THAT leads to better school performance.  Likewise, family funds.  But there's probably a link.

I've always believed it.  And I've always stayed away from the sugary junk-food morning meal - no cereal, no sweet rolls.  Eggs and bacon.  Occasionally, in the past, cold, leftover pizza (not so much now, but it's better than a cinnamon roll).

Just, what I've read, seen and believe.
Thanks for the input.

I didn't figure there was much to it.  It wasn't until relatively recently that I started to get hungry before 11:00a.m.  Growing up, past puberty, anyway, if I ate breakfast, I was ravenously hungry by lunchtime.  If I skipped it, no lunch hour hunger.  My son was the same.

My kids didn't care for eggs 'n such, so I allowed some cereals. They mostly liked oatmeal, Chex, and I forget what all.  They certainly didn't get junk food for breakfast, and stayed fairly trim all their lives.  
Me too.
Now i need to trim a little off my belly. Sad Sad

2cent likes this post

Back to top Go down

WHAT if everything they've been telling you about food is wrong? - Page 2 Empty Re: WHAT if everything they've been telling you about food is wrong?

Post by 2cent Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:00 pm

WHAT if everything they've been telling you about food is wrong? - Page 2 2571987194 WHAT if everything they've been telling you about food is wrong? - Page 2 2571987194 WHAT if everything they've been telling you about food is wrong? - Page 2 2571987194
2cent
2cent

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:02 pm

I think the main idea of eating breakfast is to kick your metabolism into gear for the day.  

I rarely ate breakfast when I was younger but I have a light breakfast now.  Sometimes yogurt and sometimes a piece of toast but that's only because nowadays I have to take meds that shouldn't be taken on an empty stomach.

I couldn't stomach a sugary breakfast. We just don't normally do that over here except for a special occasion.
Red Lily
Red Lily

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:41 pm

2cent wrote:
Thanks for the input.

I didn't figure there was much to it.  It wasn't until relatively recently that I started to get hungry before 11:00a.m.  Growing up, past puberty, anyway, if I ate breakfast, I was ravenously hungry by lunchtime.  If I skipped it, no lunch hour hunger.  My son was the same.

My kids didn't care for eggs 'n such, so I allowed some cereals. They mostly liked oatmeal, Chex, and I forget what all.  They certainly didn't get junk food for breakfast, and stayed fairly trim all their lives.  

Kids can do that. They're hardy.

I came of age just as women moved into the workforce in mass. My mother was one - after some part-time work that didn't pay much, she stumbled into a professional-level State job (vocational rehabilitation counselor) that she really couldn't pass up. And it was well for her she didn't - my old man, like me, picked the wrong time in life and with the economy, to try career changes. He wound up with a token pension from his last employer, and really, even that was a gift. He'd only been there a few years, and his mental issues, from vascular issues to the brain, were showing. My mother's gold-plated State pension was what made their retirement life possible.

But that was far in the future. For that time, with my older brother out of the house, and my kid brother on the school bus at 0730, I got myself up, later - I walked to the high school; we had the ability to set our own class schedules. Homeroom was at 1100. No one had to be on campus before first class or after last.

So I'd roll out after everyone left, and make myself a breakfast. Or not.

I hated sandwiches and I hated to cook. And I didn't have a job, which meant I didn't have much money. That didn't leave much for food choices.

I'd maybe have a hard-boiled egg, and walk to school, and NOT have lunch, and walk back home, and eat a huge dinner. Never had issues with it.

My issues started 30 years later.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:43 pm

https://www.bcpp.org/resource/food-safety-loophole-allows-secret-toxic-chemicals-in-our-food/

For decades, food chemical manufacturers have taken advantage of a Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) loophole created by the Food Additives Amendment of 1958. This amendment to the federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act of 1938 prohibited the use of food chemicals that are not adequately tested for safety, and also created an exemption for chemicals that are “generally recognized as safe” for specific uses. The exemption was designed to account for common ingredients with established safety records like vinegar, salt, and flour, but over time, the food industry has increasingly taken advantage of this loophole to bypass FDA scrutiny on chemicals with unknown health effects—including some chemicals now known to cause serious health harm.

Over the years, the FDA has chosen not to use its authority to ensure the safe use and implementation of the GRAS program, instead allowing companies to make their own secret determinations about whether a chemical is safe for use in food. As a result, food manufacturers have taken advantage of the GRAS loophole to self-certify the safety of chemicals with known negative health effects. For example, Butylated hydroxyanisole, a California Proposition 65-listed carcinogen that also causes hormone disruption and male reproductive toxicity is a GRAS-designated chemical that is used in cereals; diced, glazed fruits; dehydrated potato flakes; dry active yeast; mixes for beverages and desserts; chewing gum; potato chips; and vegetable oil.  It also gets into food by migrating from food packaging (where it is used as an adhesive). In 1978, the Select Committee on GRAS Substances said more studies were needed, which means there was not enough scientific evidence to be sure the BHA was safe. By 1986, however, the International Agency for Research on Cancer, which has the most stringent standards in the world for assessing carcinogenicity, concluded BHA is a probable human carcinogen. The FDA did initiate its own in-depth assessment on BHA in 1993-94, but the final report avoided taking a conclusion about its probable carcinogenicity, again recommending more studies. To date the FDA has not.

little known fact that i've known for a long time...FDA allows chocolate manufacturers to have 4% animal droppings and insect parts in your chocolate bar.

That lovely red color in your maraschino cherry is a product made from the smashed up bodies of a certain insect.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochineal
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:20 pm

The orange dye in your Crush, is...COAL TAR.

The only thing that gives me comfort in that, is that it's been this way for 45 years, at least.

Only recently have we had to deal with Died Suddenly. Which of course brings us back to the Forbidden Topic.

I'm concerned that these control freaks are trying to process-poison everything, but I'm not OVERLY concerned with what they HAVE done, at least not until, say, the last ten years or so.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:04 pm

The important thing is to remember the govt is not an expert and they don't care about you. You have to read labels and avoid things in foods that are harmful.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:46 pm

This is interesting.i"ve been looking to see what are the healthiest options for sandwich meats.

note the artificial colors that FDA allows. Caramel color on meats...carcinogen.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:34 pm

Revised Food Pyramid.

meat/eggs/chicken are bad for you..limit them...but frosted cornflakes are GOOOOOOOOD for ya.

https://rumble.com/v4dhe62-flashback-jesse-watters-lambasts-revised-food-pyramid.html
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:36 pm

WEF's food pyramid

WHAT if everything they've been telling you about food is wrong? - Page 2 Th?id=OIP
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next