Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

20 Great Depression era foods WE might need soon

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

20 Great Depression era foods WE might need soon - Page 2 Empty Re: 20 Great Depression era foods WE might need soon

Post by 2cent Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:55 pm

Casey Jones wrote:No mention of Jam Sandwiches.

You know...jam one slice of bread up against the other.

I gotta admit...we didn't eat much of those.  We weren't poor like that...but my mother was a poor cook.  I guess she tried...when she went back to work in the early 1970s, for the next five years at home I had mostly convenience foods.  Partially or fully prepared and frozen...that is, either made with frozen ingredients or just heat-and-serve.

So I never really learned cookery.  

But, I share the distaste for Oreos.  We had some excellent bakeries in Cleveland...Hough Bakeries was a local chain of bake shops, made their own bread, biscuits, specialty breads, German baked goods, home-style cookies, big enough to choke a kid with.  Comes from having a big German population in Cleveland.  Before Hough Avenue went black (it was the scene of the 1967 race riots) it had been German, and other German enclaves remained.

There are so few of those local bakeries, and not all that remain are really that good.  Just as well...I can't eat like that anymore.
We had the New York Bakery. (Located in Danbury) It didn't occur to me at the time, but our family must've started getting financially better off, because, after church one early afternoon, my mother got up from her chair saying, "I'll be right back." She returned from the New York Bakery with boxes full of an assortment of the most delectable doughnuts that ever crossed my sugar-starved gums. (Yeah, right, on that last bit. lol) And the hard rolls? Baked to absolute perfection. Truly, none better.
That soon became a Sunday habit, so I do know what you mean by neighborhood bakery. Irreplaceable.

I, too, left home barely knowing how to boil water. My mother looked at cooking as a chore, so didn't exactly impart a lot of cooking knowledge. As a matter of fact, we weren't allowed in the kitchen while she was cooking. Oh, we could peel and cut 'taters, but not much else.

Not long after h.s., my b.f.'s mom gifted me w/a cookbook. It wasn't until several years later, while sitting alone in the living room, that I up and decided I wanted to learn to cook.
I'll never forget my very first recipe. Pork Chop Supper for Two: two browned pork chops baked with rice and apples w/a cinnamon glaze.
Not all of my trials were successes, but the fact that that one was is likely the catalyst to my becoming a pretty good cooker.
2cent
2cent

HawkTheSlayer and Calypso Jones like this post

Back to top Go down

20 Great Depression era foods WE might need soon - Page 2 Empty Re: 20 Great Depression era foods WE might need soon

Post by HawkTheSlayer Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:04 pm

I firat learned how to BBQ.  Then fry fish.

Then it was cooking beans, smothered poke chops, and cooking down cabbage.

After I learned how to make dark roux and cook rice , all creatures were in danger. Razz

Calypso Jones and 2cent like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:05 pm

HawkTheSlayer wrote:I firat learned how to BBQ.  Then fry fish.

After I learned how to make dark roux and cook rice , all creatures were in danger. Razz
Including the dinner guests. Very Happy
2cent
2cent

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:28 pm

HawkTheSlayer wrote:I firat learned how to BBQ.  Then fry fish.

Oh, gawd. Mystery Meat.

We had a diner on the highway outside our little village limits...it was called the Wagon Wheel. Occasionally they'd have some stuff they had to use or toss, so for a gag, they'd hang a card on their menu: TODAY'S SPECIAL - ROADKILL.

You could get chicken or pork or beef stew - the waitress might tell you, but if she knew you as a regular, she wouldn't. Try it!...
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:38 pm

2cent wrote:
Casey Jones wrote:No mention of Jam Sandwiches.

You know...jam one slice of bread up against the other.

I gotta admit...we didn't eat much of those.  We weren't poor like that...but my mother was a poor cook.  I guess she tried...when she went back to work in the early 1970s, for the next five years at home I had mostly convenience foods.  Partially or fully prepared and frozen...that is, either made with frozen ingredients or just heat-and-serve.

So I never really learned cookery.  

But, I share the distaste for Oreos.  We had some excellent bakeries in Cleveland...Hough Bakeries was a local chain of bake shops, made their own bread, biscuits, specialty breads, German baked goods, home-style cookies, big enough to choke a kid with.  Comes from having a big German population in Cleveland.  Before Hough Avenue went black (it was the scene of the 1967 race riots) it had been German, and other German enclaves remained.

There are so few of those local bakeries, and not all that remain are really that good.  Just as well...I can't eat like that anymore.
We had the New York Bakery.  (Located in Danbury)  It didn't occur to me at the time, but our family must've started getting financially better off, because, after church one early afternoon, my mother got up from her chair saying, "I'll be right back."  She returned from the New York Bakery with boxes full of an assortment of the most delectable doughnuts that ever crossed my sugar-starved gums.  (Yeah, right, on that last bit.  lol)  And the hard rolls?  Baked to absolute perfection.  Truly, none better.  
That soon became a Sunday habit, so I do know what you mean by neighborhood bakery.  Irreplaceable.  

I, too, left home barely knowing how to boil water.  My mother looked at cooking as a chore, so didn't exactly impart a lot of cooking knowledge.  As a matter of fact, we weren't allowed in the kitchen while she was cooking.  Oh, we could peel and cut 'taters, but not much else.  

Not long after h.s., my b.f.'s mom gifted me w/a cookbook.  It wasn't until several years later, while sitting alone in the living room, that I up and decided I wanted to learn to cook.
I'll never forget my very first recipe.  Pork Chop Supper for Two:  two browned pork chops baked with rice and apples w/a cinnamon glaze.
Not all of my trials were successes, but the fact that that one was is likely the catalyst to my becoming a pretty good cooker.  

Danbury.

That was my mailing address for a couple of years.

Me

c/o Sperry Rail Service, Unit 806.
46 Shelter Rock Road
Danbury, CT 06810

Mail would be delivered to our motel twice a week. Not always the same one but we had planned advances and used motels we had accounts with.

Never was actually in Connecticut.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2