Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crusader's Barndominium Construction Thread

+5
HawkTheSlayer
Casey Jones
Red Lily
Thom Paine
Crusader
9 posters

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Crusader's Barndominium Construction Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Crusader's Barndominium Construction Thread

Post by Crusader Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:27 am

I bought my external doors. Dad helped me convert the pre-hung door jambs from 2x4 to 2x6 walls. I just delivered them to site. My front door is fiber glass and should go well with shaker style interior doors. I'm thinking about painting it cherry red. My builder said they should be done in a couple of weeks. Most of the windows are installed. It was too dark for good pictures.
Crusader
Crusader

HawkTheSlayer and Red Lily like this post

Back to top Go down

Crusader's Barndominium Construction Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: Crusader's Barndominium Construction Thread

Post by Crusader Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:09 pm

I just met with my builder and gave him another $25k check. The metal skins are ordered and my exterior doors are already installed.

Dad was asking me if I thought my builder could get us a discount on lumber. I asked him about this and he told me that he doesn't get a discount. He gave me a name of a guy at the lumber yard he uses and he thinks if I use his name I can get free delivery. The lumber yard is 7 miles from my house and they typically deliver next day. I asked my builder how much he thinks lumber to finish framing my interior would cost me. He estimated about $4k. I was planning on $15k, so that is great news. His guess didn't include wall sheathing for the shop, but his estimate really helps my expectations that I'll meet my budget.
Crusader
Crusader

HawkTheSlayer and Thom Paine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Crusader Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:16 pm

My mind is overloaded with color and material options in the kitchen.  I've found a kitchen that I really like.  I won't completely copy it, but I like the brick wall, the black ceiling, wood trim along the ceiling, cabinet and door trim colors, concrete floors, ........  It checks a lot of my boxes. I'd like to use galvanized roofing material as a kick panel for people sitting at the island bar. I'd also like to use the same brick and some more galvanized metal as the fire protection behind the wood burning stove. The reddish brick would go well with my candy apple red front door and with some blue accents in furniture and custom light fixtures, I could have kind of an Americana theme going.

Crusader's Barndominium Construction Thread - Page 8 Dfdd6b673fb4f73286a3baf8c7752475
Crusader
Crusader

HawkTheSlayer, Red Lily, vege57, 2cent, Casey Jones, Thom Paine and Sprintcyclist like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:24 pm

Impressive!    I loved building (twice) and it was so exciting and satisfying watching it all come together.
Red Lily
Red Lily

HawkTheSlayer, Crusader and Thom Paine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Crusader Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:29 pm

Crusader's Barndominium Construction Thread - Page 8 20240414

Today. Sheet metal should be on site early next week.
Crusader
Crusader

HawkTheSlayer, Red Lily and Casey Jones like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:56 am

I love how the colors in the concrete and brick blend together.
2cent
2cent

Crusader likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:40 pm

Red Lily
Red Lily

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Crusader Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:40 pm

I watched most of this channel during my covid quarantine. I got a lot of good info there.
Crusader
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post by Crusader Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:06 pm

I had a bad experience last night.  A few months ago, some people bought a few acres down the street. (about 200 yards)  I dropped by and introduced myself.  Since November, they have moved in 2 mobile homes, have a dozen junk cars and they all look like greasy unwashed toothless hillbillies covered with tattoos.  Maybe introducing myself will keep them from thinking I'm stuck up and someone who looks down their nose at them.  I do plan to keep away from them if possible.  They look really rough.

The rest of the neighbors seem pretty nice and there is a new neighbor moving in around the corner and his back lot line borders my land. It looks like he is putting in a good foundation and will build a fairly nice home. I wonder if it will be a barndominium like mine and his next door neighbor.
Duane lives next door in a red barndominium. He's from California, but he is 70 and seems pretty quiet and conservative. His home doesn't show much imagination or impressive design, but it's not an eyesore.

Dan lives in a mobile home nextdoor. His stepmom sold me my land. He is a land surveyor and wants to build a barndo. I told him I would help if I could. They seem like a nice family.

Dan's brother, Graham, lives around the corner. His back lot line also borders my property.

Brad lives down the street and he owns the cattle on my back pasture. He takes care of the land for me until I need it. It's a good arrangement.
Crusader
Crusader

HawkTheSlayer, Red Lily and Sprintcyclist like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:37 pm

The hillbillies sound like trouble.

A shame that has to happen so soon into it...

You did good introducing yourself. It's a polite way of planting the flag - I'm here, neighbor, and that's not how I live or what I like to see.

Y'all have a nice day now, hear?
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Crusader likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next