Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crusader's Barndominium Construction Thread

+5
HawkTheSlayer
Casey Jones
Red Lily
Thom Paine
Crusader
9 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Crusader's Barndominium Construction Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Crusader's Barndominium Construction Thread

Post by 2cent Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:50 pm

@Crusader, will you have city water, or well water?  Apologies, if you already know all this, but the reason I ask is - at least in AR - the electric co. won't hook you up w/o a perc test.  This tests how fast your water drains, and will let you know where your septic tank needs to be set.  

I admire the common sense and smarts you're using going forward w/this project.  #1, knowing what you don't know.  

As far as hiring an architect goes, I don't see why you'd need one.  A GC whose been around and has a good rep ought to be able to handle all that for you.  You could always buy some blueprints online, or just sit down with the GC, and sketch you out a design.  

Location:  Does wind direction - as in having your windows open for a breeze - matter to you?
2cent
2cent

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Crusader's Barndominium Construction Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Crusader's Barndominium Construction Thread

Post by Crusader Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:50 pm

2cent wrote:@Crusader, will you have city water, or well water?  Apologies, if you already know all this, but the reason I ask is - at least in AR - the electric co. won't hook you up w/o a perc test.  This tests how fast your water drains, and will let you know where your septic tank needs to be set.  

I admire the common sense and smarts you're using going forward w/this project.  #1, knowing what you don't know.  

As far as hiring an architect goes, I don't see why you'd need one.  A GC whose been around and has a good rep ought to be able to handle all that for you.  You could always buy some blueprints online, or just sit down with the GC, and sketch you out a design.  

Location:  Does wind direction - as in having your windows open for a breeze - matter to you?

I will have roll up doors on the North and South sides of the shop.  I'll have the AC running most of the time in the residence.  I'm going to start out with "city water" and allow for after the fact rainwater collection, filtering, etc........  Eventually, I'd like to shut off the city water and see if I can live on rain water from the roof.  If I run out of water, I can open the valve until the next rain.

I should have the 3 foot weeds mowed in the next couple of weeks.  I spoke to a shipping container company and I can have a 40 foot container delivered for $3500 in about a month.  That gives me time to find the location and level it.

I went shopping today and should have it on my land by the weekend.  The canopy, brush hog, and post hole auger are not pictured. Cultivator will come down the road. Probably used and cheap.
Crusader's Barndominium Construction Thread - Page 2 20230610
Crusader
Crusader

HawkTheSlayer, Red Lily, 2cent and Thom Paine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:09 pm

Crusader wrote:
2cent wrote:@Crusader, will you have city water, or well water?  Apologies, if you already know all this, but the reason I ask is - at least in AR - the electric co. won't hook you up w/o a perc test.  This tests how fast your water drains, and will let you know where your septic tank needs to be set.  

I will have roll up doors on the North and South sides of the shop.  I'll have the AC running most of the time in the residence.  I'm going to start out with "city water" and allow for after the fact rainwater collection, filtering, etc........  Eventually, I'd like to shut off the city water and see if I can live on rain water from the roof.  If I run out of water, I can open the valve until the next rain.

I should have the 3 foot weeds mowed in the next couple of weeks.  I spoke to a shipping container company and I can have a 40 foot container delivered for $3500 in about a month.  That gives me time to find the location and level it.

I went shopping today and should have it on my land by the weekend.  The canopy, brush hog, and post hole auger are not pictured.  Cultivator will come down the road.  Probably used and cheap.

Are you purchasing that tractor setup in the pic to store in the container?
I'm not sure what brand of tractor that is. But I am familiar with the front end loader brand.
It looks Kubota to me . But I can't make out the front emblem.

Any hows, it looks just about right for what you'll need. A 5 foot Bush Hog will be plenty.
How many HP on the tractor?

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:52 pm

Lol.
I want to see that cutter! Bush Hog Signs on the fence.

I'll tell you, I have not bought a Bush Hog cutter in the last 20 years.
Because that's the last time I bought one! A 7 footer and still using it.

Best on the market ever, since I was in high school. Used to be thick decks. Not sure about anything today.

Keep the top paint clean and sweep off after use , and under a shed , out of the rain. Last forever, with proper gear oil in the box.

My brother don't believe in that . Use stuff , dont bring it back like you found it, buy a new one.

Thin deck now for me. Lots of see threw holes from the bottom when you're down there sharpening blades.

Need to get some 1/4 plate welded on top and some fill weld on the lift points.

If you don't go with BH brand, I recommend a Woods brand cutter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crusader Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:37 pm

HawkTheSlayer wrote:
Crusader wrote:

I went shopping today and should have it on my land by the weekend.  The canopy, brush hog, and post hole auger are not pictured.  Cultivator will come down the road.  Probably used and cheap.

I'm not sure what brand of tractor that is. But I am familiar with the front end loader brand.

Any hows, it looks just about right for what you'll need. A 5 foot Bush Hog will be plenty.

It's a Bad Boy 4025.  25 hp.  Bad Boy tractors are new but they are rebranded Branson's.  I don't have pictures of the implements or the canopy to be installed.   I think this is it.
Crusader's Barndominium Construction Thread - Page 2 2000000003
Crusader
Crusader

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Crusader Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:50 pm

I'm not sure if it will fit in the container with the canopy. I plan to put an awning from the top edge of the container. The tractor and implements can sit on gravel and out of the rain. I wanted to put a roof between 2 20 ft containers as a pass thru parking spot, but I couldn't justify the cost.
Crusader
Crusader

HawkTheSlayer and Sprintcyclist like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:02 pm

Crusader wrote:
HawkTheSlayer wrote:
Crusader wrote:

It's a Bad Boy 4025.  25 hp.  Bad Boy tractors are new but they are rebranded Branson's.  I don't have pictures of the implements or the canopy to be installed.   I think this is it.
Crusader's Barndominium Construction Thread - Page 2 2000000003

It's great!

Looking at everthing, 25 hp can do lots of things especially if it's 4-wheel drive like in the pic.
You want manual 4 wheel drive on demand. A shift you engage. No matter the H P. Almost all these tractors have them now.
I'm going by the pic showing 4 wheel drive tires.
Many times I high centered with a cutter in a jagged situation . Got stuck on high ground.
Put that mother in 4WD and get out.

If you don't need 4WD don't pay for it . But it comes standard these days.

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:23 pm

Crusader wrote:I'm not sure if it will fit in the container with the canopy.  I plan to put an awning from the top edge of the container.  The tractor and implements can sit on gravel and out of the rain.  I wanted to put a roof between 2 20 ft containers as a pass thru parking spot, but I couldn't justify the cost.

Nothing to do with the shop fitting . But looking at the cutter.
There's a whole bunch a plates it looks like you can remove. I dont understand why they're on the left.
But I can in a way.

Cutters turn counterclockwise , so all the excess material exits on right.

So when you get hard, low gear cutting , just remember to cut the tract counterclockwise ..
That will throw excess grass free and to the outside of the next pass.

Crusader likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:25 pm

Crusader wrote:I'm not sure if it will fit in the container with the canopy.  I plan to put an awning from the top edge of the container.  The tractor and implements can sit on gravel and out of the rain.  I wanted to put a roof between 2 20 ft containers as a pass thru parking spot, but I couldn't justify the cost.

The safety bar rolls down.
At the pins.

It will save your life! Or kill you!
But it is impractical here.

Been rolled down at the pins here since the tractor was new.

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:42 pm

Man, I so excited for you Tex!
What a great, satisfying , journey ahead!

Red Lily and Thom Paine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next