Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roofers - a rant, but not a very good one

+4
Crusader
Red Lily
jirqoadai
2cent
8 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Roofers - a rant, but not a very good one - Page 4 Empty Re: Roofers - a rant, but not a very good one

Post by 2cent Thu May 04, 2023 8:52 am

Calypso Jones wrote:I wouldn't think so.  He is in florida.  Maybe that has something to do with it.  I don't know.
Yikes, then. Shingle or metal?
2cent
2cent

Back to top Go down

Roofers - a rant, but not a very good one - Page 4 Empty Re: Roofers - a rant, but not a very good one

Post by Thom Paine Thu May 04, 2023 11:47 am

2cent wrote:
Thom Paine wrote:
2cent wrote:Jeepers, what an independent lot roofers are.  We called two, left messages, and waited better than a week for them to call back.  Called again - one being the son of an old acquaintance, so called him as well, and still the roofer kid didn't call back.  Neither of them.

Maybe I better go back to the beginning?  We're not desperate for a new roof, but wind caused a few shingles to disappear, and it is high time we updated.  We decided to go w/a metal roof this time, and that's what the 2 roofers we called specialize in.  

Okay, so we gave up on them, and Mr. 2 went to Meeks for recommendations, where he ran into a roofer who was in the #1 slot on their list. After talking a bit, and the guy pointing out what shingles they use, (@ $105/sq.), (yes, he talked my husband into going w/shingles), they parted ways, and we waited over a week, again, for that guy to call back.  
They finally show up, were kind enough to sweep off the roof while up there, and we wait for the wife to call, then email the estimate.  Over $11,000!  For a 22 sq. ft. roof!  Not only did they charge for 24 sq. ft., they charged $150/sq.  Plus, they added all kinds of crap we didn't need.  I suppose they figured they were dealing w/a couple of hicks still sopping wet behind the ears.  
Sent that guy on his way.

Then a good friend suggested my husband call this other guy we've all known for ages.  He came over the very next day, (yesterday), w/his kid who does the actual roofing, and are going to come back asap w/color samples for us to choose a color.

Splendid!  These guys are covered up with work, so are going way out of their way to get a roof on our house.  Yeah, you can bet there's a bonus already waiting on them.  Oh, and the bid?  Somewhere around $5 - $6,000.  (Haven't gotten a specific bid yet.)  IAC, MUCH closer to what it ought to be.  

I realize that these roofers are busier than one-armed paper hangers, but what's with businessmen who can't even be bothered w/calling prospective customers back?  Must be nice to be so independent and secure.  No doubt it buys you all the rude you can be.  

Ahhh.  Thank you.  We're much better n-o-w.  lol

Exercise caution with that $6000. estimate.  
One should consider tossing the lowest bid faster than tossing the highest.  

What appears to be a $27.00 per square price is extremely low; maybe dangerously low.  

As a guideline only,   price the different types and qualities of roof panels on the internet; it will give you some awareness of qualities and material costs...  the material And install costs, for a quality metal roof, is higher for a reason.  Different means and methods, equipment, and expertise.
Rick and his sons are people who we would trust with our lives.  We've known them for near 40 years. My husband used to work for him, and vice~verse.  And not only that, we're friends. The only reason Mr. 2 didn't call him right off is 'cuz he's getting up there in age, and we didn't want to take advantage.  Well, come to find out, he's more than happy to do it.  
For $6500.  Flat fee.  

And, fwiw, we've been in the building trade all our lives, so do know a bit of what we speak.

No affront meant 2. I've been building over 50 years; unaware of your experience.
Very Happy

Thom Paine

HawkTheSlayer, Red Lily and 2cent like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Thu May 04, 2023 12:14 pm

2cent wrote:
Calypso Jones wrote:I wouldn't think so.  He is in florida.  Maybe that has something to do with it.  I don't know.
Yikes, then.  Shingle or metal?
\
shingle. Metal would have bancrupted him.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Thu May 04, 2023 2:24 pm

Thom Paine wrote:
2cent wrote:
Thom Paine wrote:
2cent wrote:Jeepers, what an independent lot roofers are.  We called two, left messages, and waited better than a week for them to call back.  Called again - one being the son of an old acquaintance, so called him as well, and still the roofer kid didn't call back.  Neither of them.

Maybe I better go back to the beginning?  We're not desperate for a new roof, but wind caused a few shingles to disappear, and it is high time we updated.  We decided to go w/a metal roof this time, and that's what the 2 roofers we called specialize in.  

Okay, so we gave up on them, and Mr. 2 went to Meeks for recommendations, where he ran into a roofer who was in the #1 slot on their list. After talking a bit, and the guy pointing out what shingles they use, (@ $105/sq.), (yes, he talked my husband into going w/shingles), they parted ways, and we waited over a week, again, for that guy to call back.  
They finally show up, were kind enough to sweep off the roof while up there, and we wait for the wife to call, then email the estimate.  Over $11,000!  For a 22 sq. ft. roof!  Not only did they charge for 24 sq. ft., they charged $150/sq.  Plus, they added all kinds of crap we didn't need.  I suppose they figured they were dealing w/a couple of hicks still sopping wet behind the ears.  
Sent that guy on his way.

Then a good friend suggested my husband call this other guy we've all known for ages.  He came over the very next day, (yesterday), w/his kid who does the actual roofing, and are going to come back asap w/color samples for us to choose a color.

Splendid!  These guys are covered up with work, so are going way out of their way to get a roof on our house.  Yeah, you can bet there's a bonus already waiting on them.  Oh, and the bid?  Somewhere around $5 - $6,000.  (Haven't gotten a specific bid yet.)  IAC, MUCH closer to what it ought to be.  

I realize that these roofers are busier than one-armed paper hangers, but what's with businessmen who can't even be bothered w/calling prospective customers back?  Must be nice to be so independent and secure.  No doubt it buys you all the rude you can be.  

Ahhh.  Thank you.  We're much better n-o-w.  lol

Exercise caution with that $6000. estimate.  
One should consider tossing the lowest bid faster than tossing the highest.  

What appears to be a $27.00 per square price is extremely low; maybe dangerously low.  

As a guideline only,   price the different types and qualities of roof panels on the internet; it will give you some awareness of qualities and material costs...  the material And install costs, for a quality metal roof, is higher for a reason.  Different means and methods, equipment, and expertise.
Rick and his sons are people who we would trust with our lives.  We've known them for near 40 years. My husband used to work for him, and vice~verse.  And not only that, we're friends. The only reason Mr. 2 didn't call him right off is 'cuz he's getting up there in age, and we didn't want to take advantage.  Well, come to find out, he's more than happy to do it.  
For $6500.  Flat fee.  

And, fwiw, we've been in the building trade all our lives, so do know a bit of what we speak.

No affront meant 2.  I've been building over 50 years; unaware of your experience.
Very Happy
None taken. Was merely attempting to clarify, but I guess my post came out gruffer than I meant? In which case, come on by, and I'll buy ya a beer. Roofers - a rant, but not a very good one - Page 4 293021872
2cent
2cent

HawkTheSlayer and Thom Paine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Thu May 04, 2023 2:29 pm

Calypso Jones wrote:
2cent wrote:
Yikes, then.  Shingle or metal?
\
shingle.    Metal would have bancrupted him.
Whoa. I forgot how pricey Florida can be in some depts. Around here, shingles and metal are on about par w/one another. IAC, I'm sure glad he didn't have to go without. There is that.
2cent
2cent

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Fri May 05, 2023 5:20 pm

FWIW, folks, we chose dark red. It matches our front door. Our attic is heavily insulated, and they're leaving the shingles on for even a wee extra insulation, so I don't think the color will matter much, in the end.

I didn't think this'd be something I'd get all hep about. I mean, we have re-shingled our roof before. I don't think they even make a greeting card for that one.

But, @Red Lily is right, I'm getting kinda excited about this 'new look' we'll have.
2cent
2cent

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4