Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nearly 6 Million Housholds Had Power Turned Off During The Pandemic

+5
Crusader
Lummy
Calypso Jones
jirqoadai
HawkTheSlayer
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Nearly 6 Million Housholds Had Power Turned Off During The Pandemic - Page 2 Empty Re: Nearly 6 Million Housholds Had Power Turned Off During The Pandemic

Post by Casey Jones Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:01 pm

HawkTheSlayer wrote:It's downright criminal the rates the Louisiana Public Service Commission is approving for these energy companies here.

Customers have to pay for all the infrastructure damage from every hurricane in addition to high fuel adjustment and record high rates from "Electric charge"( company profit).

When I moved here 4.5 years ago, EC charge was 5.5cents/kWh. My total cost for electricity was 9.9cents/KWh including fuel adjustment, hurricane recovery fee, and service charges.

This month my total cost was 18.8cents/KWh.

EC=9.8 cents.
Fuel adjustment =4.0cents(down from a high of 6.5 cents)
The rest in fees and hurricane recovery charges.

Can you cut the cord? Put a generator, or series of generators, in...use them only as needed. Power by propane, or diesel. There are small diesel generators out there; Yanmar makes some.

Use minimal power. Heat with oil or propane - or firewood.

We're all going to have to cut back on our dependency on technology. I've given up my stupid Smartphone and frankly, I'm close to being ready to give up ALL phones. I could probably live without the Internet.

If an icebox made more economic sense than a refrigerator, I could do that. I can't live without power in an apartment building, but who says I have to be in an apartment? Squatting in a ghost town is sounding more and more attractive.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Calypso Jones likes this post

Back to top Go down

Nearly 6 Million Housholds Had Power Turned Off During The Pandemic - Page 2 Empty Re: Nearly 6 Million Housholds Had Power Turned Off During The Pandemic

Post by Crusader Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:17 pm

Casey Jones wrote:
HawkTheSlayer wrote:It's downright criminal the rates the Louisiana Public Service Commission is approving for these energy companies here.

Customers have to pay for all the infrastructure damage from every hurricane in addition to high fuel adjustment and record high rates from "Electric charge"( company profit).

When I moved here 4.5 years ago, EC charge was 5.5cents/kWh. My total cost for electricity was 9.9cents/KWh including fuel adjustment, hurricane recovery fee, and service charges.

EC=9.8 cents.

Can you cut the cord?  Put a generator, or series of generators, in...use them only as needed.  Power by propane, or diesel.  There are small diesel generators out there; Yanmar makes some.

Use minimal power.  Heat with oil or propane - or firewood.

We're all going to have to cut back on our dependency on technology.  I've given up my stupid Smartphone and frankly, I'm close to being ready to give up ALL phones.  I could probably live without the Internet.

If an icebox made more economic sense than a refrigerator, I could do that.  I can't live without power in an apartment building, but who says I have to be in an apartment?  Squatting in a ghost town is sounding more and more attractive.

I don't know about up North, but solar power is very doable on an RV or trailer. I also keep an emergency radio on my night stand. It provides radio, weather radio, USB charging for phones, and a flashlight. It can be charged by USB, solar, or hand crank. I grab it when a tornado is nearby and have the radio on when I'm in bed.

I thought about getting a solar panel for my Jeep for camping. This panel has 2 outputs, so I can charge the Jeep batteries and also charge a separate camping battery in the bed for a small refrigerator.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/cascadia-4x4-jeep-gladiator-vss-complete-hood-mounted-solar-system-80-watt-chf117cv.html?T5_Var4=JG9483&dialogtech=ppc&T5_Var2=shopping&msclkid=740ba6944def1b6af87ac54a872bce71&gclsrc=ds
Crusader
Crusader

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:55 pm

Casey Jones wrote:

EC=9.8 cents.

Can you cut the cord?  Put a generator, or series of generators, in...use them only as needed.  Power by propane, or diesel.  There are small diesel generators out there; Yanmar makes some.

Use minimal power.  Heat with oil or propane - or firewood.

We're all going to have to cut back on our dependency on technology.  I've given up my stupid Smartphone and frankly, I'm close to being ready to give up ALL phones.  I could probably live without the Internet.

If an icebox made more economic sense than a refrigerator, I could do that.  I can't live without power in an apartment building, but who says I have to be in an apartment?  Squatting in a ghost town is sounding more and more attractive.

I'm heating mostly propane for two years and it's paying off. Especially  this year.  I'm paying less and more comfortable at 65-67 degrees. I'd be in the poor house if I had to try to maintain those temps with electric. Even if this fairly mild climate. I have to set the thermostat at 60 instead of 65 this year when heating electric and it still costs over 50% more.

Wood is the ideal for me but I don't have a wood burner small enough for this place. I'd have to fab a new one up. And modify so much inside .

I'm engaged in solar discovery at the moment . I went to Baton Rouge and Lafayette this week getting prices.

I also bought a metal detector to find all the silver and gold buried out here! Lolol. Just a cheap one but it has a discriminate mode.

While I was at Harbor Freight , I also bought a 100 watt panel and controller setup.
Yeah , those great panels that outperform all others for $100. Just something to play with.

Only thing is, it's $189, now.  Lol
Just the panel is $100.

All the YouTube's show results with microcrystalline cells.

They now come with Amorphous cells which outperform MC on cloudy days and lower light situations.

I think I can live without grid electric.  I have a large and small generator, large and small inverter.
I can even dry clothes outside here most of the year. I don't want to wash clothes with a washboard. But I did it before on a primitive, stationary, houseboat. Washing machine today, only 6 amps(720 watts) . I could use the generator or inverter.

But I'm Not ready to give up hot water, yet. Lol

Years ago I had one of those portable, 3 gallon , on-demand hot water heaters you hang in a tree at the camp. Awesome thing.
Worked on a 1lb propane cylinder. Last forever!

There are prolly much better ones today, as most houses now have on demand hot water instead of water heaters.

Toilets are mechanical.  So no worries there.

Calypso Jones likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:42 pm

Eons ago when Walmart first came to town , I saw something I just had to have. Lol. A DC TV!

It was small. I guess 12-13 inches and black and white. Had a VHS player, too!

I would put dat on the passenger seat of my truck, and watch tv going down the road. I even had a12-cup DC coffee maker! Lol. Make coffee and watch tv in the truck!

I loved that tv.

Used to go in the woods and everyone at the camp loved it too.

They would bring XXX-RATED movies from the house.

I had a small inverter power Pac I used to run it on more times than a vehicle power point.

Somehing happened to mine. I dont remember.

One night I was here at the open tractor shed cooking and watching tv on a power pack/ jump starter my ass hole brother let me use.

Tv was fused at the plug.

I went to adjust the antenna for better reception .
The positive jump starter clamp didn't have any insulation left on the clamps(as most things they don't take care of. Just buy new shit) .

The antenna contacted the positive clamp and blew the tv up in reverse. Fuse was irrelevant.

That was one of the saddest days of my life!

I paid $350 for that thing back in the 80s! At Wal-Mart!

I bought a great 33 inch TV a cupla years ago for $99.

Daily Bread and vege57 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RV Sun May 14, 2023 8:52 am

...and yet the 'news' media was silent about it! Sounds a lot like the lab leak!
RV
RV

https://www.oann.com/

HawkTheSlayer and Calypso Jones like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Sun May 14, 2023 11:53 am

I thought many here would be happy about this.
Many here hate most other americans, I can't imagine why some of the hateful christian americans here are concerned.

Sprintcyclist

Back to top Go down

Post by Lummy Wed May 17, 2023 7:01 am

Jew economics.
Lummy
Lummy

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:10 am

Lummy wrote:Jew economics.

Lummy ya fucken cock holster .whats your point ?
vege57
vege57

Daily Bread likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lummy Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:58 am

Are you jewish?
Lummy
Lummy

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:46 pm

Lummy wrote:Are you jewish?

Im circumcised does that count ?
vege57
vege57

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2