Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Star news producer vanishes after FBI raids his Arlington home

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Star news producer vanishes after FBI raids his Arlington home Empty Star news producer vanishes after FBI raids his Arlington home

Post by Red Lily Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:14 pm

Documentary producer and investigative journalist James Gordon Meek hasn’t been seen since the FBI raided his apartment in Arlington, Virginia, just outside Washington DC, on 27 April of this year.

The 52-year-old’s neighbour John Antonelli told Rolling Stone magazine that he witnessed the raid from the street as he was heading out on a walk. He said he spotted 10 heavily armed people among the group of law enforcement officers, a green armoured tactical vehicle, a black utility vehicle with tinted windows and several Arlington police cars, among other vehicles.

Only the police cruisers were marked, Mr Antonelli noted. The heavily armed individuals had no markings revealing what agency they were working for. The raid took around 10 minutes.

“They didn’t stick around. They took off pretty quickly and headed west on Columbia Pike towards Fairfax County,” Mr Antonelli told Rolling Stone. “Most people seeing that green vehicle would think it’s some kind of tank. But I knew it was the Lenco BearCat. That vehicle is designed to be jumped out of so they can do a raid in that kind of time. It can return fire if they’re being fired upon.”

The magazine reported that Mr Meek was targeted by the FBI at his home at the Siena Park apartments, where he had lived for more than 10 years.

While Mr Meek hasn’t been charged, observers think that this could be among the initial raids, if not the first, to be conducted on a reporter by the Biden administration.

Full story at the link ... https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/james-gordon-meek-fbi-raid-b2205994.html

Red Lily
Red Lily

2cent likes this post

Back to top Go down

Star news producer vanishes after FBI raids his Arlington home Empty Re: Star news producer vanishes after FBI raids his Arlington home

Post by 2cent Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:54 am

Very intriguing, and I'd love to read the rest, but no way am I giving out my name and email addy.  Can you fake your name?

EDIT:  Found another source called "Deadline."  (New York Post also reported on this, so I'd say the story's credible.  Not that I'd doubt you, Red.)
Anywho...
A report on an FBI search last spring at the home of then-ABC News producer and reporter James Gordon Meek has generated a response from his attorney and lingering questions over the nature of the investigation.

According to the network, Meek, a military and national security investigative reporter who produced Hulu’s 3212 Unredacted last year, “resigned very abruptly and hasn’t worked for us for months.”

According to a report in our sister publication Rolling Stone, Meek’s exit came after an April 27 raid of his apartment in Arlington, VA. Meek has not been charged, but a magistrate judge signed off on the warrant the day before the raid. Documents in the case remain sealed, Rolling Stone reported. Citing sources familiar with the matter, the publication reported that the search had to do with classified information found on his computer.
~snip~

“Mr. Meek is unaware of what allegations anonymous sources are making about his possession of classified documents,” Meek’s attorney, Eugene Gorokhov, said in a statement. “If such documents exist, as claimed, this would be within the scope of Mr. Meek’s long career as an investigative journalist covering government wrongdoing.”

Gorokhov also said that it was “highly inappropriate, and illegal, for individuals in the government to leak information about an ongoing investigation.” He called on the Justice Department to investigate the leak.
https://deadline.com/2022/10/abc-news-producer-fbi-raid-james-gordon-meek-1235149633/

Very interesting.  So obviously, considering his attorney is speaking for Mr. Meek, at least somebody knows where his is.  Or, is at least is in touch w/him.
Also interesting is the number of sources all suddenly reporting on Mr. Meeks disappearance - all on the same day - 6 months after the fact.
Why now?  Star news producer vanishes after FBI raids his Arlington home 809917594

Last edited by 2cent on Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
2cent
2cent

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Star news producer vanishes after FBI raids his Arlington home Empty Re: Star news producer vanishes after FBI raids his Arlington home

Post by Red Lily Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:00 pm

I was wondering why they're all of a sudden covering it 6 months after the fact too. Star news producer vanishes after FBI raids his Arlington home 553500953

His co-author on a forthcoming book, Operation Pineapple Express: The Incredible Story of a Group of Americans Who Undertook One Last Mission and Honored a Promise in Afghanistan, also hasn’t heard from Mr Meek.

“He contacted me in the spring, and was really distraught, and told me that he had some serious personal issues going on and that he needed to withdraw from the project,” Lt Col. Scott Mann, a retired Green Beret, told Rolling Stone. “As a guy who’s a combat veteran who has seen that kind of strain — I don’t know what it was — I honored it. And he went on his way, and I continued on the project.”

Mr Meek’s name appears to have been scrubbed from promotional materials surrounding the book.

As one former coworker told the magazine, “He fell off the face of the Earth.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/james-gordon-meek-abc-missing-journalist-b2206860.html

It all seems a bit odd.
Red Lily
Red Lily

2cent likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:18 pm

are you saying that he may be in custody somewhere?? That is totally nazi if so.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:52 pm

I'm thinking more along the lines of he's afraid and hiding out. But why?
Red Lily
Red Lily

Calypso Jones likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:11 pm

Red Lily wrote:I was wondering why they're all of a sudden covering it 6 months after the fact too.   Star news producer vanishes after FBI raids his Arlington home 553500953

His co-author on a forthcoming book, Operation Pineapple Express: The Incredible Story of a Group of Americans Who Undertook One Last Mission and Honored a Promise in Afghanistan, also hasn’t heard from Mr Meek.

“He contacted me in the spring, and was really distraught, and told me that he had some serious personal issues going on and that he needed to withdraw from the project,”  Lt Col. Scott Mann, a retired Green Beret, told Rolling Stone. “As a guy who’s a combat veteran who has seen that kind of strain — I don’t know what it was — I honored it. And he went on his way, and I continued on the project.”

Mr Meek’s name appears to have been scrubbed from promotional materials surrounding the book.

As one former coworker told the magazine, “He fell off the face of the Earth.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/james-gordon-meek-abc-missing-journalist-b2206860.html

It all seems a bit odd.
Yes, it does. And add to it that, the abc article I linked to sounded very much like the lawyer was in touch w/Meek.
"“Mr. Meek is unaware of what allegations anonymous sources are making about his possession of classified documents,” Meek’s attorney, Eugene Gorokhov, said in a statement."

If Meek's atty. can state that Meek was unaware of just what the allegations are referring to, that strongly suggests that he's been in contact w/Meek.
Now you latest link from The Independent sounds the opposite.

Very odd, indeed. Maybe Meek told his lawyer that, 'if you don't hear from me by X date, get the news out.' Or, got the news out, himself, once he started feeling fearful of life? Star news producer vanishes after FBI raids his Arlington home 553500953
2cent
2cent

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:11 pm

Urrrr.

Last edited by 2cent on Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
2cent
2cent

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:16 pm

Red Lily wrote:I'm thinking more along the lines of he's afraid and hiding out.  But why?
Same here.  The why?  He doesn't want to end up like a Jan. 6 protester? After all, he's been reporting on the corruption of the very DOJ depts. who are investigating him. Would YOU let them take you into custody?
2cent
2cent

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:34 pm

2cent wrote:
Red Lily wrote:I'm thinking more along the lines of he's afraid and hiding out.  But why?
Same here.  The why?  He doesn't want to end up like a Jan. 6 protester?  After all, he's been reporting on the corruption of the very DOJ depts. who are investigating him.  Would YOU let them take you into custody?

That's where my mind is too. His name has been 'scrubbed' from the book. He's afraid he is going to really just disappear. Eyes should be on the others who still have their name attached to the project.
Red Lily
Red Lily

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:54 pm

Red Lily wrote:
2cent wrote:
Same here.  The why?  He doesn't want to end up like a Jan. 6 protester?  After all, he's been reporting on the corruption of the very DOJ depts. who are investigating him.  Would YOU let them take you into custody?

That's where my mind is too.  His name has been 'scrubbed' from the book.  He's afraid he is going to really just disappear.  Eyes should be on the others who still have their name attached to the project.
@Red Lily, did it sound to you like the Green Beret guy was miffed, and kicking Meek to curb?  It did, me.  Then again, it might he's helping out Meek, on the sly.  

This is all so very intriguing. Let's just hope he doesn't show up on the shore of some beach w/a bullet to the back of the head in his attempt to commit suicide during a robbery attempt.
2cent
2cent

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum