Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hybrid cars

+4
Casey Jones
Crusader
Lummy
Sprintcyclist
8 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Hybrid cars - Page 2 Empty Re: Hybrid cars

Post by vege57 Thu May 19, 2022 9:50 pm

Casey Jones wrote:An impact in stopping, sure.

Not in recharging the battery.  Because the engine, running, does that.  And IIRC, those things don't work without the engine running.  Maybe new ones do...but wasn't that the breakthrough of one of the GM battery-cars?  It would run by battery for short hops, but then start the engine on a longer trip.  Priuses didn't do that.

So, I would suggest (don't know for sure) that the electric braking doesn't contribute much to overall efficiency.  Only to stopping ability.

""Not in recharging the battery.  Because the engine, running, does that.  ""

If you are going down a hill and using engine braking it will put charge into the battery ,
vege57
vege57

vege57 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Thu May 19, 2022 10:07 pm

Casey Jones wrote:An impact in stopping, sure.

Not in recharging the battery.  Because the engine, running, does that.  And IIRC, those things don't work without the engine running.  Maybe new ones do...but wasn't that the breakthrough of one of the GM battery-cars?  It would run by battery for short hops, but then start the engine on a longer trip.  Priuses didn't do that.

So, I would suggest (don't know for sure) that the electric braking doesn't contribute much to overall efficiency.  Only to stopping ability.

Thanks, I did not realise some of the recharging comes from the engine, some from regenerative braking

......... Overall, regenerative braking can capture about half of the energy that would otherwise have been wasted, and reuse it within the car's motor. It is estimated that regenerative braking can reduce fuel consumption by between 10 and 25 percent. .........

https://news.mbprinceton.com/article/how-does-regenerative-braking-work#:~:text=Overall%2C%20regenerative%20braking%20can%20capture,between%2010%20and%2025%20percent.

I am gentle on the brakes and use engine braking a lot. (Use the gears in an auto).
Kept a mind on the braking I used last night when driving, it was still quite a bit.

I guess, if you only drive low kms, not a lot of $ to be saved anyway.

A mate of mine bought a lovely Lexus about 3 years ago. 2nd hand, about $30K, V6.
He is regretting it now due to fuel use.
My old 4 cyl camry will be much better. Cost me $7K about 6 years ago

Sprintcyclist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Fri May 20, 2022 1:50 am

............ This stuff IS explained in the manual to some extent.

Below 10mph the friction brakes are used, blended during the transition.
Above 10mph, ONLY regen braking is used unless you apply enough pressure to bury the charging indicator. Once you do that the system continues to use max regen braking and blends friction braking as needed.

The MG units are never "used to slow the car down consuming energy" All braking force is from charging. That's how it works - generating electricity creates drag. The computers blend regen and friction braking as needed. .........................

https://www.rav4world.com/threads/regenerative-vs-regular-braking.298745/

Sprintcyclist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Sat May 21, 2022 4:07 am

Am getting a better appreciation of Hybrids.
These are my estimates

They are about as good as a non-hybrid on the freeway. Around Suburbia they MUCH better than a non-hybrid.
Around Suburbia they are about as good as they are on the freeway, which is amazing.
My camry on the freeway is great. I would not bother about getting a diesel or electric vehicle if all I did was freeway driving.
If you are even 40% in suburbia, a hybrid will make a big difference.

They are really complex but well proven by taxis for over 15 years.
They are linked with CVT transmissions, which I dislike. But with regenerative braking and 'motor/generator' sets, a CVT is very much most suited. Again, proven by Taxis.

Range is about the same, as there is a petrol motor there.
You don't have to plug them in to recharge them. It recharges as you drive.
It is easier to live with than an electric or PHEV.
Just drive them, have them serviced, fill them up with petrol about 60% as often as you would otherwise

Sprintcyclist

Back to top Go down

Post by Lummy Thu May 26, 2022 9:44 am

Sprintcyclist wrote:
Am getting a better appreciation of Hybrids.
These are my estimates

They are about as good as a non-hybrid on the freeway. Around Suburbia they MUCH better than a non-hybrid.
Around Suburbia they are about as good as they are on the freeway, which is amazing.
My camry on the freeway is great. I would not bother about getting a diesel or electric vehicle if all I did was freeway driving.
If you are even 40% in suburbia, a hybrid will make a big difference.

They are really complex but well proven by taxis for over 15 years.
They are linked with CVT transmissions, which I dislike. But with regenerative braking and 'motor/generator' sets, a CVT is very much most suited. Again, proven by Taxis.

Range is about the same, as there is a petrol motor there.
You don't have to plug them in to recharge them. It recharges as you drive.
It is easier to live with than an electric or PHEV.
Just drive them, have them serviced, fill them up with petrol about 60%  as often as you would otherwise

Post the data, thanks.
Lummy
Lummy

Back to top Go down

Post by jirqoadai Thu May 26, 2022 11:09 am

i think everyone should individualy drive a charcoal bus. and make sure you drive by the bus stops real slow like.
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Thu May 26, 2022 10:02 pm

Neighbor of mine had a visitor...he usually doesn't use his carport space, so his visitor did.

A Prius. Bumper sticker on the back, said:

"Cool Prius!"

--Said nobody, ever.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

2cent likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Thu May 26, 2022 11:02 pm

Casey Jones wrote:Neighbor of mine had a visitor...he usually doesn't use his carport space, so his visitor did.

A Prius.  Bumper sticker on the back, said:

"Cool Prius!"

--Said nobody, ever.

You've lost me there Casey lol
vege57
vege57

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Fri May 27, 2022 8:31 am

Thanks, it is an interesting topic.
I looked at hybrid Toyota RAVs, about $40K, 2nd hand.
Think I will wait ...........

Sprintcyclist

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Fri May 27, 2022 10:20 pm

vege57 wrote:
Casey Jones wrote:Neighbor of mine had a visitor...he usually doesn't use his carport space, so his visitor did.

A Prius.  Bumper sticker on the back, said:

"Cool Prius!"

--Said nobody, ever.

You've lost me there Casey lol

That's what the bumper-sticker said.

First, that was a meme of sorts, of some years ago. Take something un-hip or unpopular..."I like bagpipe music, said nobody, ever."

Then, put it to the Prius. The Prius had the bad timing of coming out when gas was cheap - in 1999 - and it remained a badge of the eco-fanatics for 22 years. Worrying about gas prices, back then, was silly. Even I, when I was commuting 100km to work...I wanted a fuel-efficient car, but I didn't want one that was all full of gee-whiz stuff that would break. And we didn't know the Prius would turn out to be bulletproof. In years past, Toyota has launched some lemons - their first minivan, with a flat front, didn't hold up well AT ALL.

What I used for my 62-mile commute, was a Geo Metro (Suzuki Cultus, to you). Three cylinders, 1400 pounds, and 45 miles a gallon.

But, to the point: The Prius was as un-hip a car as you can imagine, until VERY recently. Now, it's just about impossible to buy one; but that's a very new thing and the situation is completely artificial. Get the Chinese puppet out of the White House, and we can go back to refining oil, at a reasonable cost.

So...the creator of that bumper sticker was poking gentle fun at Prius owners.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next