Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Medicating dogs and cats

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Medicating dogs and cats Empty Medicating dogs and cats

Post by Calypso Jones Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:30 am

I have a friend who visited early this am. She used to work as a vet tech. She told me that a dog can take virtually any medication/supplement that a human can take.

Now i've forgotten. You can't give a cat ....is it Aspirin?? or tylenol??
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Medicating dogs and cats Empty Re: Medicating dogs and cats

Post by Jen Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:11 pm

Tylenol is harmful to cats.
The thing is........while any human medication might be okay for dogs........ human adult dosage might not be. So there's that. Aspirin is okay for cats - if the dosage is right. Otherwise, aspirin can harm a cat.

Some essential oils that we might put into diffusers are also poisonous to cats. These oils stay in the cat liver and cause them health problems ... slowly killing them. I stopped using the diffuser and have now forgotten which ones are harmful.
Jen
Jen

Red Lily and Calypso Jones like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:18 pm

Cats/dogs metabolize drugs at different rates too. I'd be getting some pet pills instead of playing Russian roulette.
Red Lily
Red Lily

Abby08 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:48 pm

Red Lily wrote:Cats/dogs metabolize drugs at different rates too.   I'd be getting some pet pills instead of playing Russian roulette.
Always wise. My vet did tell me that if my diabetic cat started acting loopy to rub Karo syrup inside his mouth. I had to do that once ... then I rushed him to the vet... and when I got there he was acting fine. Vet said "classic" and didn't charge me for looking over the cat.
Jen
Jen

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:10 pm

Lucky you still have him/her. My previous cat died from diabetes but it all happened so fast. One day he seemed fine and the next day ... not. Sad
Red Lily
Red Lily

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:51 pm

Red Lily wrote:Cats/dogs metabolize drugs at different rates too.   I'd be getting some pet pills instead of playing Russian roulette.

Or buy cheap pets, cheaper just to buy a new one rather than fix the old one
vege57
vege57

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:56 pm

Red Lily wrote:Lucky you still have him/her.  My previous cat died from diabetes but it all happened so fast.   One day he seemed fine and the next day   ...   not.  Sad
Bob died a few years ago. But he lived to be 17 years old. The last 7 years were with diabetes and I gave him 2 insulin shots a day. He didn't mind the shots and reminded me when it was time for them. He was a great cat. We got him in a feed store in Eagle River, Alaska. Here he is rocking his Christmas garb...

Medicating dogs and cats Bob_ca10

Jen
Jen

Red Lily, Abby08 and OneDumbBlonde like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:04 pm

Belle seems to have lost a lot of her hearing....she's a boxer, fit, active. BUT...she's now 10 years old. She and i seem to have a thing.....it's like she reads my hand movements. She checks on my whereabouts when i take her out in the morning. She tells me actually when she's ready to go out and she isn't shy about it either. This means i have to take extra special care and keep my eye on her though to protect her from whatever.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Abby08 Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:33 pm

Calypso Jones wrote:I have a friend who visited early this am.   She used to work as a vet tech.     She told me that a dog can take virtually any medication/supplement that a human can take.

Now i've forgotten.  You can't give a cat ....is it Aspirin??  or tylenol??

Both.
Abby08
Abby08

Back to top Go down

Post by Abby08 Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:34 pm

Jen wrote:
Red Lily wrote:Lucky you still have him/her.  My previous cat died from diabetes but it all happened so fast.   One day he seemed fine and the next day   ...   not.  Sad
Bob died a few years ago.  But he lived to be 17 years old. The last 7 years were with diabetes and I gave him 2 insulin shots a day.  He didn't mind the shots and reminded me when it was time for them.  He was a great cat.  We got him in a feed store in Eagle River, Alaska. Here he is rocking his Christmas garb...

Medicating dogs and cats Bob_ca10

He looks really happy.......LOL
Abby08
Abby08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next