Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On This Day in History II

+10
Lone Gunman
Calypso Jones
Lummy
Sprintcyclist
Sappho
vege57
2cent
Daily Bread
Red Lily
HawkTheSlayer
14 posters

Page 35 of 39 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next

Go down

On This Day in History II - Page 35 Empty Re: On This Day in History II

Post by Red Lily Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:33 am

June 26

Elvis Presley performed his last concert on June 26, 1977, at the Market Square Arena in Indianapolis, Indiana, US.

Presley was at the time suffering from ill health brought on by his weight and by his heavy use of pharmaceutical medication. He died less than a month after his last concert, on August 16, 1977.
Red Lily
Red Lily

HawkTheSlayer, Daily Bread and 2cent like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:34 pm

July 1

The First Day's Battlefield is composed of two major areas: the upper ridge area, including McPherson and Oak Ridges, punctuated by Oak Hill, and the lower valley area just north of Gettysburg.

The first day of the battle of Gettysburg involved nearly 50,000 soldiers and was one of the bloodiest days of the Civil War,  with 16,000 men killed, wounded, missing, or captured. If the battle of Gettysburg ended after the first day, it would still rank in the top twenty bloodiest battles of the Civil War, with more casualties than Cold Harbor and almost as many as Fredericksburg.

On This Day in History II - Page 35 1200px-Thure_de_Thulstrup_-_L._Prang_and_Co._-_Battle_of_Gettysburg_-_Restoration_by_Adam_Cuerden

On This Day in History II - Page 35 Flower-3-smiley-emoticon-emoji
Red Lily
Red Lily

HawkTheSlayer, Daily Bread and jirqoadai like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Daily Bread Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:55 pm

On July 5, 1996, Dolly the sheep—the first mammal to have been successfully cloned from an adult cell—is born at the Roslin Institute in Scotland.

Originally code-named “6LL3,” the cloned lamb was named after singer and actress Dolly Parton. The name was reportedly suggested by one of the stockmen who assisted with her birth, after he learned that the animal was cloned from a mammary cell. The cells had been taken from the udder of a six-year-old ewe and cultured in a lab using microscopic needles, in a method first used in human fertility treatments in the 1970s. After producing a number of normal eggs, scientists implanted them into surrogate ewes; 148 days later one of them gave birth to Dolly.
Daily Bread
Daily Bread

https://gettr.com/i/dailybread

HawkTheSlayer and Red Lily like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:39 pm

Daily Bread wrote:On July 5, 1996, Dolly the sheep—the first mammal to have been successfully cloned from an adult cell—is born at the Roslin Institute in Scotland.

Originally code-named “6LL3,” the cloned lamb was named after singer and actress Dolly Parton. The name was reportedly suggested by one of the stockmen who assisted with her birth, after he learned that the animal was cloned from a mammary cell. The cells had been taken from the udder of a six-year-old ewe and cultured in a lab using microscopic needles, in a method first used in human fertility treatments in the 1970s. After producing a number of normal eggs, scientists implanted them into surrogate ewes; 148 days later one of them gave birth to Dolly.

That sure brings back some old mammaries. On This Day in History II - Page 35 773625082

Red Lily, Daily Bread and JMWinPR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:43 pm

Daily Bread wrote:On July 5, 1996, Dolly the sheep—the first mammal to have been successfully cloned from an adult cell—is born at the Roslin Institute in Scotland.

And Dolly died of age-related issues - at age SIX. Half the average age of a sheep.

The takeaway here is, there was some serious genetic errors in replication, that led to premature aging.

Also, interesting, was the cloned ewe was age six. So perhaps the life-length of the cells was NOT reset from growing into a new animal. Dolly was perhaps born a genetic age six, and died at "twelve" - as would be expected.

This is what comes of idiots playing with fire. That, and all the Pfizer Died-Suddenly cases.

Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Daily Bread likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jirqoadai Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:19 pm

Red Lily wrote:July 1

The First Day's Battlefield is composed of two major areas: the upper ridge area, including McPherson and Oak Ridges, punctuated by Oak Hill, and the lower valley area just north of Gettysburg.

The first day of the battle of Gettysburg involved nearly 50,000 soldiers and was one of the bloodiest days of the Civil War,  with 16,000 men killed, wounded, missing, or captured. If the battle of Gettysburg ended after the first day, it would still rank in the top twenty bloodiest battles of the Civil War, with more casualties than Cold Harbor and almost as many as Fredericksburg.

On This Day in History II - Page 35 1200px-Thure_de_Thulstrup_-_L._Prang_and_Co._-_Battle_of_Gettysburg_-_Restoration_by_Adam_Cuerden

On This Day in History II - Page 35 Flower-3-smiley-emoticon-emoji
Iversons NC brigade lost over 80% by sauntering up a hill towards dismounted union cav hiding behind a stone wall. for years the exhumed mass graves were called iversons pits.
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

HawkTheSlayer, Red Lily and Daily Bread like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Daily Bread Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:49 pm

Many years I took the wife and daughter to Gettysburg . The wife wouldn't walk up Little Round Top but so my daughter ,who was around 14 at the time , went up to the Union defensive position and I showed my daughter a 5 lb piece of granite with a chunk taken out of it . After telling her that this was an area under heavy Confederate attack and the chip taken out lf the stone was prolly made by a bullet that was fired at the Union guys holding off the attack  she asked me to get the stone back to the car . I picked it up and ran across the field thinking every Federal Park Ranger was after us , got to the car and the little Sicilian locked the door on me . Shes yelling that I can't take artifacts off the battlefield and we were going to get arrested if I didn't put it back . I told her that her little angelic daughter wanted it and if she didn't open the door that ,if arrested , she and my daughter was going with me .
The stone is now part of my ponds waterfall .
Daily Bread
Daily Bread

https://gettr.com/i/dailybread

HawkTheSlayer, Red Lily and JMWinPR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jirqoadai Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:24 am

the historical sinifigance of the round tops was not the idea of turning the union flank ( that would always be immpossible due to taking a battalion of sharp shooters and operating it along the flanks perifial ) but the signifigance was the defensive nature demanded it nesseccitated in order to attack that flank. thus you have Berdans sharp shooters picking apart Oates attack of the 10th maine vs Plum Runs natural feature of being a recently dug ditch with square 5' banks. Kershaw with his single brigade was able due to this invaluable feature, defeat Sickles entire Corps attack upon Hoods left flank.
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

Daily Bread likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jirqoadai Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:50 pm

1887 - Joseph Jefferson Jackson
           2nd best baseballer of all time
            Shoeless Joe - Birthday
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

HawkTheSlayer, Red Lily and Daily Bread like this post