Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On This Day in History II

+10
Lone Gunman
Calypso Jones
Lummy
Sprintcyclist
Sappho
vege57
2cent
Daily Bread
Red Lily
HawkTheSlayer
14 posters

Page 15 of 39 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 39  Next

Go down

On This Day in History II - Page 15 Empty Re: On This Day in History II

Post by Lone Gunman Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:50 am

238 BCE
The temple of the goddess of flowers – Flora was dedicated near the Circus Maximus. This resulted in a new, three-day, and later six-day festival ludi Florales. The festival included games and casual plays. There were mime and dance performances. Later there was a story made up that Flora was a prostitute who left her entire fortune to the Roman people, prOvided that the percentage of it would be used for annual play on her birthday.

32 CE
Emperor Marcus Salvius Otho was born. He came from a well-known Etruscan family. He was a friend of Nero. Friendship ended in 58 CE, when his wife Poppaea Sabina, became a mistress and later, > Nero s wife. After Nero’s death, he took part in the events of the Year of Four Emperors. Eventually, he lost and kill[sic] himself with a dagger, for which his rival – Vitelius arranged Otho a ceremonial funeral.

Emperor Constantius II enters Rome for the first time to celebrate his victory over Magnus Magnentius.

The Battle of Cerignola is fought. It is noted as the first battle in history won by small arms fire using gunpowder.

Maryland becomes the seventh state to ratify the Constitution of the United States.

Mutiny on the Bounty: Lieutenant William Bligh and 18 sailors are set adrift and the rebel crew returns to Tahiti briefly and then sets sail for Pitcairn Island.

Chinese and Irish laborers for the Central Pacific Railroad working on the First Transcontinental Railroad lay 10 miles of track in one day, a feat which has never been matched.

Benito Mussolini and his mistress Clara Petacci are executed by a firing squad consisting of members of the Italian resistance movement.

Thor Heyerdahl and five crew mates set out from Peru on the Kon-Tiki to prove that Peruvian natives could have settled Polynesia.

Vietnam War: U.S. President Richard M. Nixon formally authorizes American combat troops to fight communist sanctuaries in Cambodia.
Lone Gunman
Lone Gunman

HawkTheSlayer, Red Lily, Daily Bread and jirqoadai like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Daily Bread Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:55 pm

Chinese and Irish laborers for the Central Pacific Railroad working on the First Transcontinental Railroad lay 10 miles of track in one day, a feat which has never been matched.

The Irish did all the work while the Chinese hung out drinking Jamesons - I was there .
Daily Bread
Daily Bread

https://gettr.com/i/dailybread

HawkTheSlayer, Red Lily and Lone Gunman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:16 pm

Daily Bread wrote:1869

The Irish did all the work while the Chinese hung out drinking Jamesons - I was there .

I just finished watching Hell on Wheels about the Irish working the Union Pacific and the Chinese with the Central Pacific.  Great series, 5 seasons, which you'd probably love DB.  Try it.
Red Lily
Red Lily

HawkTheSlayer, Daily Bread and Lone Gunman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jirqoadai Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:36 pm

the Orange & Alexandria RR was built by Erie. as was most of the 10th VA BTN during our great war.

Last edited by jirqoadai on Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

Lone Gunman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Daily Bread Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:58 pm

Red Lily wrote:

I just finished watching Hell on Wheels about the Irish working the Union Pacific and the Chinese with the Central Pacific.  Great series, 5 seasons, which you'd probably love DB.  Try it.

DVD or TV series Lily ?
Daily Bread
Daily Bread

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Daily Bread Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:01 pm

Red Lily wrote:

I just checked and Fubu and Vudu stream it . If I have time this week end Ill checker er out . Thanks
Daily Bread
Daily Bread

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:03 pm

Daily Bread wrote:
Red Lily wrote:

DVD or TV series Lily ?

It's a tv series from a few years back.

I see you're on the ball DB! I binge watched it all Lolol.
Red Lily
Red Lily

HawkTheSlayer, Daily Bread and Lone Gunman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Daily Bread Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:14 pm

Red Lily wrote:
Daily Bread wrote:
Red Lily wrote:

DVD or TV series Lily ?

I see you're on the ball DB!  I binge watched it all Lolol.

I hope its not as addictive as Yellowstone . I memorized the scripts to that one lol
Daily Bread
Daily Bread

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone Gunman Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:13 am

Daily Bread wrote:
Red Lily wrote:
Daily Bread wrote:
Red Lily wrote:

DVD or TV series Lily ?

I see you're on the ball DB!  I binge watched it all Lolol.

I hope its not as addictive as Yellowstone . I memorized the scripts to that one lol

both of those are on my 'to watch' list along with SO many others. Laughing
Lone Gunman
Lone Gunman

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone Gunman Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:19 am

220 BCE
Pacuvius was born, Roman playwright, poet, nephew of Ennius. He also used to paint. He spent most of his life in Rome. He wrote mainly satires and tragedies, from which 13 titles and few fragments have survived to our times. In his works he referred to the Greek tragedians, particularly to Euripides and Sophocles. Cicero considered him one of the greatest Roman tragedians.

Islamic conquest of Hispania: Moorish troops led by Tariq ibn-Ziyad land at Gibraltar to begin their invasion of the Iberian Peninsula (Al-Andalus).

Joan of Arc arrives to relieve the Siege of Orleans.

Francis Drake leads a raid in the Bay of Cádiz, sinking at least 23 ships of the Spanish fleet.

James Cook arrives at and names Botany Bay, Australia.

American Revolutionary War: British and French ships clash in the Battle of Fort Royal off the coast of Martinique.

American Civil War: Maryland’s House of Delegates votes not to secede from the Union.

American Civil War: New Orleans, Louisiana falls to Union forces under Admiral David Farragut.

World War II – Fuehrerbunker: Adolf Hitler marries his longtime partner Eva Braun in a Berlin bunker and designates Admiral Karl Dönitz as his successor. Both Hitler and Braun will commit suicide the next day.

World War II: The German Army in Italy unconditionally surrenders to the Allies.

The first U.S. experimental 3D-TV broadcast showed an episode of Space Patrol on Los Angeles ABC affiliate KECA-TV.

Watergate Scandal: President Richard Nixon announces the release of edited transcripts of White House tape recordings related to the scandal.

Los Angeles riots: Riots in Los Angeles, California, following the acquittal of police officers charged with excessive force in the beating of Rodney King. Over the next three days 53 people are killed and hundreds of buildings are destroyed.
Lone Gunman
Lone Gunman

Red Lily and jirqoadai like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 39 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 39  Next