Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Don't throw your Keurig in the trash...

+7
EvilCat Breath
Crusader
Daily Bread
Casey Jones
Sprintcyclist
Calypso Jones
Elizabeth Theus
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Don't throw your Keurig in the trash... - Page 2 Empty Re: Don't throw your Keurig in the trash...

Post by Casey Jones Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:53 am

EvilCat Breath wrote:Ours is years old and works great.  Just get the right kind of coffee.

I bought their own brand of coffee.

I can't explain it. What I can do, is not buy another.

When they start making them repairable, I'll reconsider.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Back to top Go down

Don't throw your Keurig in the trash... - Page 2 Empty Re: Don't throw your Keurig in the trash...

Post by Casey Jones Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:01 am

Crusader wrote:I like hot chocolate from the Keurig.

Off topic...but I'm big into repurposing. Back 19 years ago, when Ames, the department store, was liquidating, I bought a new Regal coffee percolator...made of plastic, except for the base...for, I think, $1. It was obviously aimed at older users - it didn't have any controls or a removable cord on it. You just plugged it in, and it worked. No sight-level glass; no strength controls (STRONG<-->MILD) and no glass bubble top. It was all PVC plastic, light and rugged.

I bought it to easily reheat leftover coffee and boil water fast, for instant soup, ramen, etc. And it did all that fine.

Then, retired, I stopped needing it for those. It was still kicking around. I found...on my trip...it makes good instant coffee.

I'm serious. One thing I HATE about instant coffee is, the sludge at the bottom of your cup. So...I put about five spoonfuls of instant in the basket, fill it up with a quart of water, and plug it in...and the percolation action gets it thoroughly mixed.

Another good use for it is those hotel coffee packs. Whenever I was in a motel room, I'd steal the coffee packs. Some were good; but some brewed out weak.

But put them (two at a time) in the percolator basket, and let it run through (to automatic shutoff) and the coffee would be...B-Quality. Not great, but better than the other way.

And a LOT more convenient.

And as easy as a Keurig. And only a few minutes longer.

You can buy those four-cup-serving coffee packs on Amazon.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Daily Bread likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:31 pm

Some things are worth repeating lol
vege57
vege57

Daily Bread and vege57 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:15 pm

Casey Jones wrote:

Off topic...but I'm big into repurposing.  Back 19 years ago, when Ames, the department store, was liquidating, I bought a new Regal coffee percolator...made of plastic, except for the base...for, I think, $1.  It was obviously aimed at older users - it didn't have any controls or a removable cord on it.  You just plugged it in, and it worked.  No sight-level glass; no strength controls (STRONG<-->MILD) and no glass bubble top.  It was all PVC plastic, light and rugged.

I bought it to easily reheat leftover coffee and boil water fast, for instant soup, ramen, etc.  And it did all that fine.

Then, retired, I stopped needing it for those.  It was still kicking around.  I found...on my trip...it makes good instant coffee.

I'm serious.  One thing I HATE about instant coffee is, the sludge at the bottom of your cup.  So...I put about five spoonfuls of instant in the basket, fill it up with a quart of water, and plug it in...and the percolation action gets it thoroughly mixed.

Another good use for it is those hotel coffee packs.  Whenever I was in a motel room, I'd steal the coffee packs.  Some were good; but some brewed out weak.

But put them (two at a time) in the percolator basket, and let it run through (to automatic shutoff) and the coffee would be...B-Quality.  Not great, but better than the other way.

And as easy as a Keurig.  And only a few minutes longer.

Regal Poly-perks are the King of coffee makers . I still have 2 very old ones I never use. The larger one I purchased in 1980. Works great and the coffee is awesome!

Daily Bread likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:28 pm

HawkTheSlayer wrote:
Casey Jones wrote:

Off topic...but I'm big into repurposing.  Back 19 years ago, when Ames, the department store, was liquidating, I bought a new Regal coffee percolator...made of plastic, except for the base...for, I think, $1.  It was obviously aimed at older users - it didn't have any controls or a removable cord on it.  You just plugged it in, and it worked.  No sight-level glass; no strength controls (STRONG<-->MILD) and no glass bubble top.  It was all PVC plastic, light and rugged.

I bought it to easily reheat leftover coffee and boil water fast, for instant soup, ramen, etc.  And it did all that fine.

Then, retired, I stopped needing it for those.  It was still kicking around.  I found...on my trip...it makes good instant coffee.

I'm serious.  One thing I HATE about instant coffee is, the sludge at the bottom of your cup.  So...I put about five spoonfuls of instant in the basket, fill it up with a quart of water, and plug it in...and the percolation action gets it thoroughly mixed.

Another good use for it is those hotel coffee packs.  Whenever I was in a motel room, I'd steal the coffee packs.  Some were good; but some brewed out weak.

But put them (two at a time) in the percolator basket, and let it run through (to automatic shutoff) and the coffee would be...B-Quality.  Not great, but better than the other way.

And as easy as a Keurig.  And only a few minutes longer.

Regal Poly-perks are the King of coffee makers . I still have 2 very old ones I never use. The larger one I purchased in 1980. Works great and the coffee is awesome!

I was going to have a chat to J , I bet he has a pallet load of old classics in his shed that could do with a spit and shine
vege57
vege57

HawkTheSlayer and vege57 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:50 pm

sludge in the bottom of a cup of instant? you do stir it dont you? LOLOL
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

2cent and Casey Jones like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:33 am

Calypso Jones wrote:sludge in the bottom of a cup of instant?  you do stir it dont you?  LOLOL

Sometimes with hard water, it doesn't work so well.

Hey, the Regal percolator does fine. You have to heat water anyway; it does it as fast or faster, and then the instant coffee's thoroughly mixed.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Calypso Jones likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:27 am

I have the soft water.   Distilled water makes good tea.  I get plenty of ridicule for my preference of instant but all i have to do is throw the pot into the sink. People think the items with all the bells and whistles are super...but they're just a lot of extra work and problems it seems to me.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:47 am

Calypso Jones wrote:sludge in the bottom of a cup of instant?  you do stir it dont you?  LOLOL
Was wondering the same thing.  Never happened here.  Heat a cup of water in the nuker, add the coffee; voila!  Coffee, w/no sludge.  And we have extraordinarily hard water.  

Gotta admit, though, the cup I had the other day - after going months w/o - tasted kinda harsh. I'm thinking the coffee's old.  Don't throw your Keurig in the trash... - Page 2 553500953
2cent
2cent

Calypso Jones likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:54 am

Instant coffee is great to season food. Regular grinds too. Some seasonings and rubs contain coffee grinds along with salt, pepper, etc.

Calypso Jones and 2cent like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next