Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Woodworking

+6
jirqoadai
vege57
JMWinPR
Crusader
Daily Bread
Sprintcyclist
10 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Woodworking - Page 8 Empty Re: Woodworking

Post by Casey Jones Thu May 11, 2023 10:46 pm

Woodworking...is something that draw old men. I never felt interested until the last few years...when I've learned to appreciate the work involved in these elaborate pieces - either decorative, useful or both.

Trouble is, you have to learn as a YOUNG man. I focused my energies, as far as being handy, to mechanic's tools. And I know a lot about engines - but I'm all thumbs, so that was a no-go also. And THAT is just as well, because what they pay mechanics, now...is criminal. We had several trained and certified auto mechanics who gave it up to work on the railroad - doubling their pay. I mean, as TRAINEES on the railroad, they were making twice what they were as ASE certified mechanics.

So I'm now old, and under normal circumstances, I could put my feet up and daydream all day. But these times are not normal and I suspect my pension will be just a memory, in a few months more of Corn Pop.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:37 am

Bought a Japanese saw the other day. Had read up about them for a while, they are expensive and I have 2 normal saws.

One come up on a sale !  $20
Made in the US too - great.
It's very good.

Woodworking - Page 8 70690_1_

Sprintcyclist

Back to top Go down

Post by Lummy Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:06 pm

Link?
Lummy
Lummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:04 am

Tx

https://www.tradetools.com/pony-jorgensen-25cm-10-double-edged-pull-saw-70690

Sprintcyclist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:10 am

What a bargain this is

Woodworking - Page 8 Rimhp_002

https://www.tradetools.com/tradetools-25mm-mini-hand-plane-75mm-long-rimhp-rimhp#Reviews

It's really small. $8, I already have one, it works perfectly well, after sharpening it. Will probably buy another one.
For putting a 2mm aris on softwood, it is perfect.

Sprintcyclist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:44 am

Doing some artistic woodworking now

Using some shrub prunings to make a hat stand.
Each single pruning is about 25 mm in Diameter and divides up to 6 or so smaller Diameter branches, each one can hold a hat.

Have joined one pruning to a leg of a small stand I made a while ago that sits on my workbench.

Sprintcyclist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:41 am

Finished a box for storing wood offcuts in.
Did dado joinery and glue. No metal in there.
I like this sort of woodworking.

Woodworking - Page 8 B02ba444-a597-43c2-88d8-a88cac204036_rabbet-dado-groove-newest_B

Sprintcyclist

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:13 pm

Sprintcyclist wrote:Finished a box for storing wood offcuts in.
Did dado joinery and glue. No metal in there.
I like this sort of woodworking.

Woodworking - Page 8 B02ba444-a597-43c2-88d8-a88cac204036_rabbet-dado-groove-newest_B

The Amish have it down to an art. Even in construction...they'll use pegs rather than nails, working with gravity and bracing walls and roofs against each other, preferring it to nails.

I don't think the Amish ever established a European or other presence outside of the USA...they eschew modern machinery and ways, to a greater or lesser extent. It's a decentralized faith; each church sets its own rules...either continuing the rules that members had in previous sects, or becoming more or less lenient.

For example, some of the old-order Amish will only farm with plows and horses. Others will use gas machinery that does work that horses or non-powered equipment cannot do.

Some will only build in traditional ways - other sects allow outside, non-Amish artisans to come in and do specific tasks.

Construction can go any number of ways - I've seen pole-barns with sheet-metal sides, put up FOR Amish. The Amish decide the size; and modify blueprints to fit; but the contractor would bring in braces and cut lumber, and would use nail guns and power screwdrivers to put much of the cladding on.

My own medical clinic is in the heart of what I call Mennonite country - the Amish and Mennonites are of the same roots, the Amish being more strict about traditional ways. There are other offshoots on the same philosophy - and I suspect the group in Plains, Montana, are of that offshoot. The receptionist, Dora, a woman of about 28...is in traditional plain dress, but modified to make the sort of activity she'd do in the office, easier. But she works all the time on computers, smartphones, AI programs to auto-dial patients.

Probably drives to work, too, since I don't see a horse out there. That's another area where the Amish/Mennonites show wide variations, in what they'll tolerate. Some forbid anything to do with autos; some can ride but not own or drive; some can only drive trucks or utility vehicles (such as a stake truck; not the fancy SUVs). So...who knows.

But in Ohio, where I lived my childhood and many years as an adult...the Amish are all over the counties south of Cleveland, and their skill in woodworking is legendary.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Sprintcyclist likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:42 pm

Bought a few cheap small planes a while ago.
At that price ($25 and $12) I give it a whirl.
All new planes need 'tuning up'. I did that and they work quite well. Surprisingly well, I'm pretty good at sharpening my Japanese knives though.
Tool steel hardness as about as hard as Japanese kitchen knives. Need special sharpening equipment.

Recently I resharpened and used my planes more, was very impressed by them.
They give a flat smooth polished surface. No need to sand after. Plane it and varnish it

Just bought a #4 Spear and Jackson plane online. From the US. American made stuff is good. Very Happy

Sprintcyclist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:49 am

Oh, the new plane arrived from the US. Very nice, classic American feel.
Very robust, controls are for big fingers to use, good dense steel.
Took the top plate off to grease all the threads, on the chipper plate is engraved 'Regrind to 25 degrees'. I so like this sort of design.
It's made to be used and sharpened, so here is the factory specs so you can sharpen it properly.

Saw how it is designed to be used, set and adjusted while in use, nice smooth actions. Blade and base were quite flat, sharpness was oh hum. Even out the box it planed some pine quite well.
Once the base, frog and blade is flattened and sharpened it'll be as keen as a Samurai sword.
It'll slide through wood leaving a highly polished finish.
This is good.

Sprintcyclist

Daily Bread likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum