Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Woodworking

+6
jirqoadai
vege57
JMWinPR
Crusader
Daily Bread
Sprintcyclist
10 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Woodworking - Page 2 Empty Re: Woodworking

Post by Daily Bread Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:41 pm

You'll always run into the leveling problem as you probably will want to change the work area spot until you find a comfortable area with enough space around you to work . if you can try to make those center legs adjustable and not permanent at least until you find an ideal work area . I made mine in an L shape and use my table saw on the short side of the L but I need more space behind it to maneuver long stock as its being cut .
Daily Bread
Daily Bread

https://gettr.com/i/dailybread

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:20 am

Daily Bread wrote:You'll always run into the leveling problem as you probably will want to change the work area spot until you find a comfortable area with enough space around you to work . if you can try to make those center legs adjustable and not permanent at least until you find an ideal work area . I made mine in an L shape and use my table saw on the short side of the L but I need more space behind it to maneuver long stock as its being cut .

An L shape is a terrific idea.
Thought to NOT mount the vice on mine yet. Saw one idea, they mounted the vice onto some spare wood.
When they wanted to use the vise they clamped the 'Vice wood' to the bench using clamps.
For the time being, I'll try that. I rarely use a vise really and clamps work well for almost all jobs anyway.
It'll leave the bench clear.

Sprintcyclist

Daily Bread likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:40 pm

A hard part is 'marrying' the plans with what timber is available and how to transport it here.
Bunnings (local big hardware) cut timber to length and I only have a sedan.
I took ALL my measurements of the frame needed to bunnings got 4 lengths of 3.6M and 4.8M structural timber and got them to cut it ALL to my lengths required. I had a big list and checked every one after he cut it.
Idea being it'ld fit in my car and when I got home I'ld only have to oil and 'assemble' it all. IF my measurements were correct.
Phew, they were. Got 20 pieces of wood all cut to the right length.

Working with wood is very therapeutic

Sprintcyclist

Daily Bread and Thom Paine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:21 am

Finished it. It's really nice. Put Linseed oil on it. Might add a few more screws later on, but it is all done.
Added a shelf that was not on the plan, enables me to store LOTS more 'good stuff' .............

I'm very happy with it. Everything went pretty well, I learned a lot.
All the tools worked well. Used some very nice flat headed screws.
Sharpened my forstener bit. Blunt bits overheat, lose their tempering and that is the end of them.

It's sort of too good for a workbench. Turns the ugliest thing into the nicest thing.
Had steak on pumpkin mash with a few of my homebrew beers for dinner to celebrate.

Sprintcyclist

Red Lily, Daily Bread and Crusader like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Crusader Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:26 am

We need pictures.

I have a bunch of new 20V Dewalt tools in preparation for building a home. I have a drill, impact driver, circular saw, oscillating saw, saws all, jig saw, angle grinder, 1/4 sheet palm sander, blue tooth speaker, and work light. I may buy a framing 20V nail gun and some scaffolding after construction begins. I'll need to get some temporary lights to hang in the barndominium shell while i build.

Once I build my shop I'll have access to the larger tools and my dad will teach me how to get the most out of them. I will share lots of home projects. I'm planning on butcher block and concrete counter tops floating shelves, furniture, custom light fixtures, barn doors, epoxy resin art, etc...

Once I start my home, I will immerse myself into it, as I will live mostly alone and have nothing else to do and nobody to nag me and waste my time for me. My son wants a garage space for rebuilding a truck. I may have some similar projects myself. I'd like to learn to weld and build an off road camping trailer to pull behind my Jeep eventually. My son is already proficient at repairing axles and brakes and is quickly gaining experience on diesel engines and drivetrains.
Crusader
Crusader

Red Lily and Daily Bread like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Daily Bread Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:26 am

Congrats Sprint . 50 years from now you'll still be doing projects on it . Working with wood is better than therapeutic - its almost as good as sex !
Daily Bread
Daily Bread

Sprintcyclist likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Daily Bread Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:33 am

Crusader wrote:We need pictures.

I have a bunch of new 20V Dewalt tools in preparation for building a home.  I have a drill, impact driver, circular saw, oscillating saw, saws all, jig saw, angle grinder, 1/4 sheet palm sander,  blue tooth speaker, and work light.  I may buy a framing 20V nail gun and some scaffolding after construction begins.  I'll need to get some temporary lights to hang in the barndominium shell while i build.

Once I build my shop I'll have access to the larger tools and my dad will teach me how to get the most out of them.  I will share lots of home projects.   I'm planning on butcher block and concrete counter tops  floating shelves,  furniture,  custom light fixtures,  barn doors,  epoxy resin art, etc...

Once I start my home, I will immerse myself into it, as I will live mostly alone and have nothing else to do and nobody to nag me and waste my time for me.  My son wants a garage space for rebuilding a truck.  I may have some similar projects myself.  I'd like to learn to weld and build an off road camping trailer to pull behind my Jeep eventually.  My son is already proficient at repairing axles and brakes and is quickly gaining experience on diesel engines and drivetrains.
There's no better feeling than building something out of what others see as garbage . Having all the tools to do it is a plus too . My tools that I see as a necessity are my Saws all , my Router , and my air tank with my nail guns . I don't know how I made my projects without my brad and framing nailer .
Daily Bread
Daily Bread

Red Lily and Crusader like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:32 pm

Daily Bread wrote:Congrats Sprint . 50 years from now you'll still be doing projects on it . Working with wood is better than therapeutic - its almost as good as sex !

That'll be great.
I'll be 110 years old then !!

Sprintcyclist

Back to top Go down

Post by Crusader Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:16 pm

My dad uses this to build wooden frames.  I helped him build utility drawers with it.  We used it on my chicken coop.  They come out super solid and are very easy.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kreg-R3-Jig-Pocket-Hole-System/14690163?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222000000000&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=10352200394&wl4=pla-1103028060075&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&wl10=Walmart&wl11=Online&wl12=14690163_0&wl14=craig%20jig&veh=sem&msclkid=6f03b64feac517c7d3a6d7840ad3bbf4&gclid=6f03b64feac517c7d3a6d7840ad3bbf4&gclsrc=3p.ds
Crusader
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:59 pm

Woodworking - Page 2 20211210
Woodworking - Page 2 20211211

Sprintcyclist

Crusader likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content