Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Revelation

5 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Revelation  Empty Revelation

Post by Calypso Jones Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:13 pm

Revelation 1
New Living Translation  

Prologue

1 This is a revelation from[a] Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants the events that must soon take place. He sent an angel to present this revelation to his servant John,

2 who faithfully reported everything he saw. This is his report of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ.

3 [b]God blesses the one who reads the words of this prophecy to the church, and he blesses all who listen to its message and obey what it says, for the time is near.

John’s Greeting to the Seven Churches

4 This letter is from John to the seven churches in the province of Asia.[c]

Grace and peace to you from the one who is, who always was, and who is still to come; from the sevenfold Spirit[d] before his throne;

5 and from Jesus Christ. He is the faithful witness to these things, the first to rise from the dead, and the ruler of all the kings of the world.

All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.

6 He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

7 Look! He comes with the clouds of heaven.
   And everyone will see him—
   even those who pierced him.
And all the nations of the world
   will mourn for him.
Yes! Amen!

8 “I am the Alpha and the Omega—the beginning and the end,”[e] says the Lord God. “I am the one who is, who always was, and who is still to come—the Almighty One.”

Vision of the Son of Man

9 I, John, am your brother and your partner in suffering and in God’s Kingdom and in the patient endurance to which Jesus calls us. I was exiled to the island of Patmos for preaching the word of God and for my testimony about Jesus.

10 It was the Lord’s Day, and I was worshiping in the Spirit.[f] Suddenly, I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet blast.

11 It said, “Write in a book[g] everything you see, and send it to the seven churches in the cities of Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea.”

12 When I turned to see who was speaking to me, I saw seven gold lampstands.

13 And standing in the middle of the lampstands was someone like the Son of Man.[h] He was wearing a long robe with a gold sash across his chest.

14 His head and his hair were white like wool, as white as snow. And his eyes were like flames of fire.

15 His feet were like polished bronze refined in a furnace, and his voice thundered like mighty ocean waves.

16 He held seven stars in his right hand, and a sharp two-edged sword came from his mouth. And his face was like the sun in all its brilliance.

17 When I saw him, I fell at his feet as if I were dead. But he laid his right hand on me and said, “Don’t be afraid! I am the First and the Last.

18 I am the living one. I died, but look—I am alive forever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and the grave.[i]

19 “Write down what you have seen—both the things that are now happening and the things that will happen.[j]

20 This is the meaning of the mystery of the seven stars you saw in my right hand and the seven gold lampstands: The seven stars are the angels[k] of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches.

Footnotes
1:1a Or of.
1:1b Or suddenly, or quickly.
1:4a Asia was a Roman province in what is now western Turkey.
1:4b Greek the seven spirits.
1:8 Greek I am the Alpha and the Omega, referring to the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet.
1:10 Or in spirit.
1:11 Or on a scroll.
1:13 Or like a son of man. See Dan 7:13. “Son of Man” is a title Jesus used for himself.
1:18 Greek and Hades.
1:19 Or what you have seen and what they mean—the things that have already begun to happen.
1:20 Or the messengers.

Last edited by Calypso Jones on Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

JMWinPR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Revelation  Empty Re: Revelation

Post by Calypso Jones Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:34 pm

Revelation is the ONLY book of the bible where the reader/listener receives a blessing for reading/listening to the words of this book.

https://www.christiantruthcenter.com/book-of-revelation/

Many Christians avoid this book because many say that 'it scares them'. I can see that. The intention was to give Christ's followers hope.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

JMWinPR and RV like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:14 pm

Prologue

1 This is a revelation from[a] Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants the events that must soon take place. He sent an angel to present this revelation to his servant John,

2 who faithfully reported everything he saw. This is his report of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ.

3 [b]God blesses the one who reads the words of this prophecy to the church, and he blesses all who listen to its message and obey what it says, for the time is near.

A little about John.

He was very young when he and his brother James (sons of Zebedee) met Jesus on the shores of Galilee.    John and his brother were fishermen like their father Zebedee.

https://amazingbibletimeline.com/blog/john-exiled-to-patmos/

John was the only disciple present at Jesus' crucifixion.   It was to John's hands  that Jesus' placed the care of his mother.   Jesus had 4 brothers..one was named James not to be confused with the James brother of John.  It took a while for Jesus' brothers to believe that he was the son of God.    Jesus also had at least 2 sisters, unnamed in the bible.

John was also one of the three of Jesus' inner circle in his circle of 12 disciples.  Peter, James, John.   John was also the only disciple that died of old age. All the others had been martyred.    Revelation was written down approximately 95AD on the island of Patmos where John was sent for preaching the gospel by the roman emperor Domitian.  It was a prison island.

Let's do it. The first few chapters are pretty easy. That is Christ talking to each of the seven churches and they are examples of churches of today.

I like to start with the basics. Revelation was penned by John the Apostle, youngest of the apostles, one of the sons of Zebedee. He was the brother of James. He adored Jesus. It was to John that Jesus gave the care of His (Jesus) mother. John was old and exiled on Patmos (by Rome, probably emperor Domitian), a greek island in the Aegean sea. He was exiled there because he would not stop preaching the gospel. He was the last surviving of the original disciples. John was the only apostle to die of old age. His brother James was the first apostle to be martyrd. The Book of Revelation was written in 90AD. It is said that John was sent to Patmos AFTER he was dunked in boiling oil and was not injured. Banishment to a prison island was common in those days.

John was born about 6AD.  Jesus was born between 4 and 6AD.   John died in extreme old age.  in his 90's.

Last edited by Calypso Jones on Mon May 16, 2022 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:31 pm

A friend writes this.

'Trump is a brief reprieve in the march toward Globalism, but he is in God's plan. I can't figure out how the US fits either.......... but if we don't fit............it means we're gone. What could happen to make us gone enough not to be in the final plan? Or do we just not see yet how we fit in?

It is real, though. It's all there for us to see if only we could see.......'

This friend's source:

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Bible-Stephen-Miller/dp/1597893749/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3GHDU8I4UNCS0&keywords=the+complete+guide+to+the+bible&qid=1551157845&s=gateway&sprefix=The+complete+guide+to+%2Caps%2C173&sr=8-3
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:41 pm

Note the blessing for reading or hearing this book and also note that the lampstands and the stars are explained.

Revelation 1:20

20 This is the meaning of the mystery of the seven stars you saw in my right hand and the seven gold lampstands: The seven stars are the angels[k] of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches.

Angel is actually it appears to be the leader or leaders or pastor of that particular church.

Last edited by Calypso Jones on Mon May 16, 2022 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:10 pm

Last nite I read over chapter one again with all the notes at the bottom. One part said not to get so caught up in understanding it all because even John didn't. He was shown things that he would have no good descriptions for. And there are still things in the book of Revelation that we will not understand until it happens.

This book is supposed to give us hope and assurance with a glimpse of what is going to happen in the future. God repeats in the bible. I think he knows we need that for it to sink in.

Many say John's visions and writings were for his time. that's true...but it is also for the future. God gives a small taste in current time of what is going to happen in the distant future. For example, the many examples of Jesus before the real Jesus came along....we saw that especially in the old Testament. Also, the many tastes of the anti-Christ...each getting worse.....before we see the 'real' antichrist.

That is my opinion from reading the Bible.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:21 pm

Wilson writes:

One of the best courses is from Dr. Bill Creasy, his lectures are available though his web site and on Amazon Audible. He was a prof at UCLA, English dept, specialized in ancient literature, and taught the "Bible class" for decades. Now he is retired from UCLA and teaches the Bible full time.

I've taken his entire course, from Genesis to Revelation, and it is hands down the best Bible course I have ever seen. Not only does he know Koine Greek and Hebrew, but he has been to all the places mentioned in the Bible and brings a perspective that you only get from being there.

I will paraphrase him on Revelation: Revelation is easy to understand - if you have read and know the other 65 books of the Bible. I don't completely agree with that statement, but there is a lot of truth to it.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:37 pm

John’s Greeting to the Seven Churches

4 This letter is from John to the seven churches in the province of Asia.[c]

Grace and peace to you from the one who is, who always was, and who is still to come; from the sevenfold Spirit[d] before his throne;

5 and from Jesus Christ. He is the faithful witness to these things, the first to rise from the dead, and the ruler of all the kings of the world.

All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.

6 He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

7 Look! He comes with the clouds of heaven.
  And everyone will see him—
  even those who pierced him.
And all the nations of the world
  will mourn for him.
Yes! Amen!

8 “I am the Alpha and the Omega—the beginning and the end,”[e] says the Lord God. “I am the one who is, who always was, and who is still to come—the Almighty One.”

Of course this is Christ's greeting to these churches Through John.

Last edited by Calypso Jones on Mon May 16, 2022 2:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:06 pm

Calypso Jones wrote:Starting with Verse 9 and i will back up...in Chapter 1 in the Book of Revelation.

John identifies himself and his location and what he was doing at the time of this revelation from Christ.

What was he up to ?
vege57
vege57

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:57 am

So this is no revelation, it is just an endless regurgitation of what someone else told Calypso

Sprintcyclist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next