Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It Begins. Woke Minnesota Restaurant Adds 15% “Equity Charge” to All Bills – Accuses Its Customers of Being Racist Tippers

+4
Chris
Calypso Jones
vege57
Elizabeth Theus
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

It Begins. Woke Minnesota Restaurant Adds 15% “Equity Charge” to All Bills – Accuses Its Customers of Being Racist Tippers Empty It Begins. Woke Minnesota Restaurant Adds 15% “Equity Charge” to All Bills – Accuses Its Customers of Being Racist Tippers

Post by Elizabeth Theus Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:16 pm

Broders’ Pasta Bar in Minnesota announced it is adding a 15% “equity charge” to all bills because its customers are racist tippers.

Here is their announcement.

WHAT IS THE BENEFITS & EQUITY CHARGE?

Historically, restaurants have relied on customer tipping to supplement the wages of its customer-facing service staff. It is part of a traditional restaurant economic model and many states have allowed reduced minimum wages for service staff in the form of a tip credit. Studies have also shown that there is inequity and built-in bias in the way consumers give tips. In general, Black or Brown servers receive less tips than Caucasian servers. There is gender bias as well. In restaurants, immigrants and people of color work mostly in the kitchens and have no access to gratuities to supplement their hourly wage.

Because Minnesota state law does not allow a tip credit and does not allow restaurants to pool tips, only the direct-facing service employee can decide if there should be sharing of tips among other service workers. Increased menu prices constitute higher tips which, along with increased minimum wages, adds to the disparity between the front customer-facing service staff and back of house kitchen staff.

In the wake of racial injustice protests and the closures due to Covid, now is the time for Broders’ to reimagine its economics and provide fair pay across the company. Minnesota does not allow restaurants to impose an automatic gratuity and pool tips. What we can do is impose a Benefits & Equity Charge on our sales that is not a gratuity. Our Benefits & Equity Charge is applied entirely to employee compensation. This supplement helps us to set a $16 minimum hourly wage for customer facing employees, $18 minimum hourly wage for kitchen employees (more with increased responsibility) above all government standards, to provide benefits of paid time off & health insurance, and to distribute 5% of daily revenue to all employees based on hours worked. Altogether this allows everyone in our company to earn a real living wage.

The 15% Benefits & Equity Charge is not a gratuity. This means any small gratuities left on top are completely discretionary, but if you choose to tip it will be distributed to only the customer-facing service staff.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/06/begins-woke-minnesota-restaurant-adds-15-equity-charge-bills-accuses-customers-racist-tippers/?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=the-gateway-pundit&utm_campaign=dailyam&utm_content=daily
Elizabeth Theus
Elizabeth Theus

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

It Begins. Woke Minnesota Restaurant Adds 15% “Equity Charge” to All Bills – Accuses Its Customers of Being Racist Tippers Empty Re: It Begins. Woke Minnesota Restaurant Adds 15% “Equity Charge” to All Bills – Accuses Its Customers of Being Racist Tippers

Post by Elizabeth Theus Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:17 pm

I suspect this restaurant owner has effectively cut his own throat with this stupidity. Insult your customers, FORCE a gratuity, yeah.......that's incentive to bring in customers.
Elizabeth Theus
Elizabeth Theus

Daily Bread, Calypso Jones and Lummy like this post

Back to top Go down

It Begins. Woke Minnesota Restaurant Adds 15% “Equity Charge” to All Bills – Accuses Its Customers of Being Racist Tippers Empty Re: It Begins. Woke Minnesota Restaurant Adds 15% “Equity Charge” to All Bills – Accuses Its Customers of Being Racist Tippers

Post by vege57 Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:12 pm

They make some valid points, Mine would be, pay your staff a livable wage
vege57
vege57

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:18 pm

People like this won't be passing the cost on to me. And even if he does add this on to his customers bills...it's unlikely he'll be giving it to his help.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Elizabeth Theus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:26 pm

I tip colorblind, so my response would be to leave and never return. If enough people do that they can reverse or go out of business.
Chris
Chris

HawkTheSlayer, Daily Bread, Calypso Jones and Elizabeth Theus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:32 pm

That's what we all need to be doing. These jackasses back down with a little pushback.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Elizabeth Theus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:04 pm

It's a good thing these people advertise their stupidity. I wouldn't be eating there.
Red Lily
Red Lily

HawkTheSlayer, Calypso Jones, Lummy and Elizabeth Theus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Daily Bread Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:16 pm

I'm like Chris and tip 20% and your color is irrelevant . Gender makes absolutely no difference either and that's including 3rd genders. If the food and atmosphere sucks , I just don't return .
If the waitress has ample TaTas I do give an extra 5% .
Daily Bread
Daily Bread

https://gettr.com/i/dailybread

HawkTheSlayer, Red Lily, Lummy, Elizabeth Theus and Chris like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Elizabeth Theus Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:22 pm

Daily Bread wrote:I'm like Chris and tip 20% and your color is irrelevant . Gender makes absolutely no difference either and that's including 3rd genders. If the food and atmosphere sucks , I just don't return .
If the waitress has ample TaTas I do give an extra 5% .

I agree.  Except....I don't give extra for ample TaTas.   Recently, a couple of friends and I went out to eat at Bob Evans.  Poor gal was working nearly the entire floor all by herself.  We had trouble getting all the things we needed to go with the meal...BUT, the poor gal was doing the best she could.  The entire bill was $50+ dollars, my friends picked up the tab, but I left her the tip--$40.  Restaurants around here are having a hard time getting employees.

Last edited by Elizabeth Theus on Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Elizabeth Theus
Elizabeth Theus

HawkTheSlayer, Red Lily and Daily Bread like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:24 pm

We dont tip in New Zealand, The minimum wage here is 20 bucks an hour
vege57
vege57

HawkTheSlayer, Red Lily and Lummy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next