Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Religion professors argue evangelical Christians are white racists who ‘may end up killing us all’

3 posters

Go down

Religion professors argue evangelical Christians are white racists who ‘may end up killing us all’ Empty Religion professors argue evangelical Christians are white racists who ‘may end up killing us all’

Post by Elizabeth Theus Thu May 27, 2021 1:05 pm

‘If evangelicals don’t change, they pose an existential crisis to us all … their racism, their sexism, their homophobia, their lack of belief in science, lack of belief and common sense may end up killing us all’

Racism and the lost cause of the Confederacy is alive and thriving among today’s white evangelical Christians, argued three religion professors featured on a recent panel hosted by the University of Virginia titled “White Evangelical Racism: The Politics of Morality in America.”

“I think that a strong and compelling argument can be made that it’s not just this lost cause narrative that still animates white evangelical Christianity wherever it exists, whether it’s on the West Coast, in the south,” said Larycia Hawkins, assistant professor of politics and religious studies at UVA.

“I lived in Chicago for 10 years and I came away telling my friends, upon reflection… the Midwest is Confederate. In fact, America is Confederate,” Hawkins said during the event.

“So deeply does white evangelicalism WASP religion penetrate the ethos and mythos of the United States. The lost cause is alive and well, not just in the folks who stormed the capital, not just in the folks who showed up in Charlottesville in the summer of 2016,” she said.

The panel also featured Anthea Butler, associate professor of religious and Africana studies at the University of Pennsylvania and author of the new book “White Evangelical Racism: The Politics of Morality in America.”

Butler, during the panel, argued that evangelicals who say they “don’t see color” promote “colorblind racism” since those who are evangelical are expected to act “white” and vote in ways that uphold white supremacy.

“When people say to you, ‘I don’t see color, I see what Jesus sees in you,’ that really actually means that they just see white,” she said.

“And that people who are in evangelicalism, like I was in previously, are considered to be white if they behave in certain kinds of ways. And if you don’t behave in those kinds of ways, or if you don’t accede to white evangelical cultural norms, that means that you are not acceptable,” Butler said, noting later in the webinar that “evangelicals are willing to die for whiteness.”

Butler said it’s not about theology, it’s about a position evangelical Christians have taken “that is taking us all over the brink.”

“And because they are being selfish and because they don’t care, their racism, their sexism, their homophobia, their lack of belief in science, lack of belief and common sense may end up killing us all,” Butler said.

continued:
https://www.thecollegefix.com/religion-professors-argue-evangelical-christians-are-white-racists-who-may-end-up-killing-us-all/
Elizabeth Theus
Elizabeth Theus

Back to top Go down

Religion professors argue evangelical Christians are white racists who ‘may end up killing us all’ Empty Re: Religion professors argue evangelical Christians are white racists who ‘may end up killing us all’

Post by Elizabeth Theus Thu May 27, 2021 1:07 pm

Seriously? How many times have we heard of some Christian nutcase lopping off anybody's head? If Christians were going to do this....don't ya' think it would have happened by now, with all the many, many places where Christians have been tortured and murdered? What a load of......................CRAP!
Elizabeth Theus
Elizabeth Theus

MisterVeritis likes this post

Back to top Go down

Religion professors argue evangelical Christians are white racists who ‘may end up killing us all’ Empty Re: Religion professors argue evangelical Christians are white racists who ‘may end up killing us all’

Post by Calypso Jones Thu May 27, 2021 1:56 pm

well...i'm glad they're talking about evangelicals and not fundamentals. LOLOL
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Elizabeth Theus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MisterVeritis Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:09 pm

Anyone who adds racism to their comments is a kook. Note their names. When the war comes seek them out.

MisterVeritis

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:22 pm

It's ironic to call these 'professors' religious. They're any thing BUT.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Elizabeth Theus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down