Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP w/the Win10 laptop?

4 posters

Go down

HELP w/the Win10 laptop? Empty HELP w/the Win10 laptop?

Post by 2cent Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:54 pm

I did a scan on my laptop the other day.  The feedback is how wonderful all is running. However, according Malwarebytes I only have 4 free days left, and really ought to purchase $X amount.

They be full of the bull, correct?  I have run into problems here recently.  Slowness, and suddenly the Brave icon was gone from the desktop, and in it's place was a Windows folder w/the Brave icon tucked inside.  I could get to Brave from there, but it meant going thru Windows, and ah din' lock dat, so made a another shortcut.  

What would y'all suggest I do w/the Malwarebytes idea?

More background:  I have lost TWO email addies in the last 4-5 years.  Cannot access them.  I'd really prefer that didn't happen again.  

How do you back up your email?
2cent
2cent

Back to top Go down

HELP w/the Win10 laptop? Empty Re: HELP w/the Win10 laptop?

Post by Red Lily Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:10 pm

Malwarebytes has a totally free version doesn't it? Did you download that one or a trial version by mistake?

Not sure why you can't access your email. What message do you get?
Red Lily
Red Lily

vege57 and 2cent like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:31 am

Red Lily wrote:Malwarebytes has a totally free version doesn't it?  Did you download that one or a trial version by mistake?

Not sure why you can't access your email.  What message do you get?
Error messages such as, "We can't trust this to be really you.  Send us an alternate addy where we can reach you.  Then, THAT replies w/a similar error message.

I'm missing a big part of my life - letters to, and from, a dear friend who has since died.

Yes, downloaded the free version of Malwarebytes. It auto scans once a week. I don't see the need for more, but... HELP w/the Win10 laptop? 553500953
2cent
2cent

Back to top Go down

Post by hurricanehook Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:50 pm

Have you tried a system restore from a previous date before the problem with your email?
hurricanehook
hurricanehook

Location : U.S.A. the greatest country ever, in the history of the world

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:15 am

hurricanehook wrote:Have you tried a system restore from a previous date before the problem with your email?

No.  How do I?

P.S.  Just tried to sign into hotmail and got the error message, <paraphrasing>  'Microsoft has detected too many sing in something or other.  Please try again later.'>  (All for your own protection, don'tcha know.'  
angryfire

EDIT:  c&p

Microsoft
<my first name>@hotmail.com
Sign in
Something went wrong and we can't sign you in right now. Please try again later.
The Microsoft account login server has detected too many repeated authentication attempts. Please wait a moment and try again.
2cent
2cent

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:26 am

2cent wrote:
Red Lily wrote:Malwarebytes has a totally free version doesn't it?  Did you download that one or a trial version by mistake?

Not sure why you can't access your email.  What message do you get?
Error messages such as, "We can't trust this to be really you.  Send us an alternate addy where we can reach you.  Then, THAT replies w/a similar error message.

I'm missing a big part of my life - letters to, and from, a dear friend who has since died.

Yes, downloaded the free version of Malwarebytes.  It auto scans once a week.  I don't see the need for more, but...  HELP w/the Win10 laptop? 553500953

Here's what I'd do.

I've had GRATE luck with Linux Mint. Fact is, the computer I'm typing this on...it's a pawn shop purchase, loaded with Windoze. Don't know what version because I've never booted it up.

I'd loaded Mint alongside in a dual-boot configuration - I can start from either OS; I get a BIOS screen when turning the computer on, listing my boot alternatives.

I've never run Windows on it - but at the pawn shop, it was operating, displaying the desktop, to anyone who wanted to see it. I could go in and get system operation, find out how much memory was on the computer, so I know Windows is properly on it.

I've kept it because there's a few peripherals - a DVD player and a scanner - that don't have Linux drivers that work on this machine. BUT...I've also found that I can go into the Windows partition...actually I'm using it for file storage, since there's plenty of room there. And I can look at files that are there, including system files.

What I'm leading up to, is if you put Linux alongside Windows, you may well be able to easily rescue those files.

Alternately, you could have an independent computer shop (not Best Buy) try to save the files, and/or install Linux alongside. Or even just move those files to a flash drive - flash drives can be unimaginably huge these days. They have ways of getting in - booting from a bootable flash drive, and moving the files to external media.

It's tedious and it might cost a few bucks if you opt for a pro's help; but you don't have to lose those files.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by hurricanehook Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:30 am

2cent wrote:
hurricanehook wrote:Have you tried a system restore from a previous date before the problem with your email?

No.  How do I?

P.S.  Just tried to sign into hotmail and got the error message, <paraphrasing>  'Microsoft has detected too many sing in something or other.  Please try again later.'>  (All for your own protection, don'tcha know.'  
angryfire

Microsoft
Sign in
Something went wrong and we can't sign you in right now. Please try again later.
The Microsoft account login server has detected too many repeated authentication attempts. Please wait a moment and try again.
first don't keep trying to log in..for now. Will get back to you in a few minutes.
hurricanehook
hurricanehook

Back to top Go down

Post by hurricanehook Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:42 am

hurricanehook wrote:
2cent wrote:

No.  How do I?

angryfire

Microsoft
Sign in
first don't keep trying to log in..for now. Will get back to you in a few minutes.
o.k. go to system settings. are you with me?
hurricanehook
hurricanehook

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:19 am

hurricanehook wrote:
hurricanehook wrote:
2cent wrote:

No.  How do I?

angryfire

Microsoft
Sign in
o.k. go to system settings. are you with me?

Oh drat, @hurricanehook, I just now saw this. Wish I'd seen it last night. Here, you're trying to help, and I was off trying to fix what you likely could've, and probably better.
Anywho, sorry for my rudeness.
2cent
2cent

hurricanehook likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by hurricanehook Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:46 am

Glad you got your laptop running again!
hurricanehook
hurricanehook

Red Lily and 2cent like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down