Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nuclear Toxicity at Trinity Site near Alamogordo, NM.

5 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Nuclear Toxicity at Trinity Site near Alamogordo, NM. Empty Nuclear Toxicity at Trinity Site near Alamogordo, NM.

Post by Lummy Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:26 pm

Nuclear Toxicity at Trinity Site.

Radiation at Trinity Site

In deciding whether to visit ground zero at Trinity Site, the following information may prove helpful to you.

Radiation levels in the fenced, ground zero area are low. On an average the levels are only 10 times greater than the region's natural background radiation. A one-hour visit to the inner fenced area will result in a whole body exposure of one-half to one milliroentgen.

To put this in perspective, a U.S. adult receives an average exposure of 90 milliroentgens every year from natural and medical sources. For instance, the Department of Energy says we receive between 35 and 50 milliroentgens every year from the sun and from 20 to 35 milliroentgens every year from our food. Living in a brick house adds 50 milliroentgens of exposure every year compared to living in a frame house. Finally, flying coast to coast in a jet airliner gives an exposure of between three and five milliroentgens on each trip.

Although radiation levels are low, some feel any extra exposure should be avoided. The decision is yours. It should be noted that small children and pregnant women are potentially more at risk than the rest of the population and are generally considered groups who should only receive exposure in conjunction with medical diagnosis and treatment. Again, the choice is yours:

At ground zero, Trinitite, the green, glassy substance found in the area, is still radioactive and must not be picked up.
Typical radiation exposures for Americans
Per The National Council on Radiation Protection
On hour at ground zero = ½ mrem
Cosmic rays from space = 40 mrem at sea level per year
Radioactive minerals in rocks and soil = 55 mrems per year
Radioactivity from air, water, and food = anywhere from 20 to 400 mrem per year
About 22 mrem per chest X-ray and 900 mrem for whole-mouth dental X-rays
Smoking one pack of cigarettes a day for one year = 40 mrem
Miscellaneous such as watch dials and smoke detectors = 2 mrem per year
https://atomicarchive.com/history/trinity/radiation.html
Lummy
Lummy

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Nuclear Toxicity at Trinity Site near Alamogordo, NM. Empty Re: Nuclear Toxicity at Trinity Site near Alamogordo, NM.

Post by jirqoadai Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:36 pm

i would absolutely LOVE to go. IF youve already bought tickets, i dont know. the core of Trinity contained 6kg of PU-239. they wont say how much U-235 surrounded it. id have to hypothisize it was at the very least 120kg amount of U-235. prolly more. they say only 1.2kg of plutonium was split. and they say 4.8kg of plutonium dust was left to lay between the testing site and santafe. so should this be the case, 20x4.8kg=96kg of U-235 was also left to wiff around in the sand. both of those elements extrude extremely high counts of neutrons. they say a reading of 500 is lethal. i got hit with 124 three days ago. im fine with the 124. i doubt now if prothstate cancer will catch me. 500? gamma rays reading 500? you sure thats safe? whats with the 40 is harmful idea?
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

Lummy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Nuclear Toxicity at Trinity Site near Alamogordo, NM. Empty Re: Nuclear Toxicity at Trinity Site near Alamogordo, NM.

Post by jirqoadai Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:41 pm

and smoke detectors read 8 constant.
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

Back to top Go down

Post by Lummy Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:52 pm

Are you in or not?
Lummy
Lummy

Back to top Go down

Post by jirqoadai Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:57 pm

you swing by my way and pick me up, as i dont think you wish to aproach the site from the NE anyway? and, you gonna pick up any green glass? ( i hope not ). and, if either of our geiger counters hits 500, we leave immediately? if you answered yes, no, yes, im in.
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

Back to top Go down

Post by Lummy Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:52 pm

jirqoadai wrote:you swing by my way and pick me up, as i dont think you wish to aproach the site from the NE anyway? and, you gonna pick up any green glass? ( i hope not ). and, if either of our geiger counters hits 500, we leave immediately? if you answered yes, no, yes, im in.

I think you need a valid ID too. Can't pick you up. Here's this; it should help:https://www.spacehalloffame.org/trinity-site-tour-registration/
https://www.spacehalloffame.org/trinity-site-tour-registration/
https://www.spacehalloffame.org/trinity-site-tour/

Last edited by Lummy on Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lummy
Lummy

Back to top Go down

Post by jirqoadai Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:58 pm

park your vehicle and go in mine? its a two day to three day drive from my place. im not gonna attempt to drive there alone.
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

Back to top Go down

Post by Lummy Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:13 pm

jirqoadai wrote:park your vehicle and go in mine? its a two day to three day drive from my place. im not gonna attempt to drive there alone.

The problem is I'm coming from the opposite direction. Can you leave your car with anyone who lives nearby or make another arrangement with the tour? Would you like me to do that?

Anyone else want to go?
Lummy
Lummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lummy Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:16 pm

jirqoadai wrote:park your vehicle and go in mine? its a two day to three day drive from my place. im not gonna attempt to drive there alone.

We'll figure something out.
Lummy
Lummy

Back to top Go down

Post by jirqoadai Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:22 pm

im not driving out there myself Lummy. lessn i can drive someone or go with, im a no show. its like an 18 hour drive with no stopping from here just to el paso. not gonna happen by my lonesome.
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next