Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Used cooking oil into aviation fuel.

+5
Thom Paine
Crusader
Red Lily
HawkTheSlayer
Lummy
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Used cooking oil into aviation fuel. Empty Used cooking oil into aviation fuel.

Post by Lummy Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:55 pm

Used cooking oil to achieve carbon neutrality.

The aviation industry has set itself the ambitious target of reducing its carbon emissions to zero by 2050. A raw material that was previously considered kitchen waste could provide it with a realistic chance of achieving this goal.
"It's no longer waste."

Tsuboi Yasuyuki, the manager of an izakaya in Tokyo, says his restaurant typically runs through several 18-liter drums of cooking oil every month. He usually pays a disposal service to collect the used oil. But recently, he has started receiving inquiries from firms interested in taking it for free. Some are even offering to pay for it.

"We used to consider it waste," says Tsuboi. "Now, people are asking to take it off our hands, which is very strange."

The reason for the sudden demand is that used cooking oil can now be used to produce sustainable aviation fuel, or SAF. About a third of the 400,000 tons collected in Japan in the past year was used for fuel for planes and other vehicles.

SAF is the aviation industry's term for fuel derived from non-fossil sources. Used cooking oil is the main substance used for production, but research is underway to identify other viable waste sources.
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/backstories/2166/
Lummy
Lummy

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Used cooking oil into aviation fuel. Empty Re: Used cooking oil into aviation fuel.

Post by HawkTheSlayer Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:08 pm

Lummy wrote:Used cooking oil to achieve carbon neutrality.

The aviation industry has set itself the ambitious target of reducing its carbon emissions to zero by 2050. A raw material that was previously considered kitchen waste could provide it with a realistic chance of achieving this goal.
"It's no longer waste."

Tsuboi Yasuyuki, the manager of an izakaya in Tokyo, says his restaurant typically runs through several 18-liter drums of cooking oil every month. He usually pays a disposal service to collect the used oil. But recently, he has started receiving inquiries from firms interested in taking it for free. Some are even offering to pay for it.

"We used to consider it waste," says Tsuboi. "Now, people are asking to take it off our hands, which is very strange."

The reason for the sudden demand is that used cooking oil can now be used to produce sustainable aviation fuel, or SAF. About a third of the 400,000 tons collected in Japan in the past year was used for fuel for planes and other vehicles.

SAF is the aviation industry's term for fuel derived from non-fossil sources. Used cooking oil is the main substance used for production, but research is underway to identify other viable waste sources.
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/backstories/2166/

Turning used cooking oil into bio-diesel, kerosene, aviation fuel, can be done cheaply without the need for catalyst cracking from crude.

Folks just dont understand, jet fuel is just a form of diesel. They think it's like nitrous or high grade stuff.

Problem is somebody is going to make a huge profit off of it. And it's not just the refineries.

Almost every refinery in the U.S. now has a bio-diesel unit built or under construction. Problem there is, there is just not enough raw input.

Keep in mind, these units are built with government subsidies and product is supported by subsidies.
AND...they receive extra carbon credits for producing it.

Most of these units are relatively small compared to other refining units..

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Used cooking oil into aviation fuel. Empty Re: Used cooking oil into aviation fuel.

Post by HawkTheSlayer Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:27 pm

But achieving carbon neutrality by recycling cooking oil will never happen. Used cooking oil into aviation fuel. 773625082

I'm going to have to start frying everything to save the planet!
And I wasn't hardly frying anything for months. Sad

Deep fat fryer, here I come! Lol
@Red Lily

Red Lily and Thom Paine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:43 pm

HawkTheSlayer wrote:But achieving carbon neutrality by recycling cooking oil will never happen. Used cooking oil into aviation fuel. 773625082

@Red Lily

I'm sure your BP will thank you! Used cooking oil into aviation fuel. 2928424190
Red Lily
Red Lily

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:46 pm

Red Lily wrote:
HawkTheSlayer wrote:But achieving carbon neutrality by recycling cooking oil will never happen. Used cooking oil into aviation fuel. 773625082

@Red Lily

I'm sure your BP will thank you!    Used cooking oil into aviation fuel. 2928424190

Lol.
Yeah, well cooking oil is the last/least thing raising my blood pressure these days. I love you

Red Lily, Thom Paine and RV like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Crusader Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:37 pm

I knew a guy who used restaurant grease to make his diesel fuel. He used to put it in his VW Beetle and would get 53 mpg. It sounded pretty simple to make. He ran it through 2 different filters to filter out the impurities. Next he would add 1/4 of the volume of store bought diesel and a smaller amount of premium gasoline for the detergents. His fuel cost about 1/4 of the current price of diesel fuel to make with used restaurant grease.

His name was Don and if you closed your eyes and listened to him, he sounds just like Larry the Cable Guy.
Crusader
Crusader

HawkTheSlayer, 2cent, Thom Paine and Lummy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Thom Paine Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:17 pm

@Red Lily

No doubt, it's your calling.
A Man's gotta' do
What a man's gotta' do.

Now, The world is relying on you to save the planet.

I applaud your sacrifice. Laughing

Thom Paine

HawkTheSlayer, Red Lily and Crusader like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lummy Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:27 am

It would probably smell like french fries.
Lummy
Lummy

HawkTheSlayer and Thom Paine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Crusader Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:41 am

Lummy wrote:It would probably smell like french fries.

His VW exhaust filtered the smell out but his F250 did smell like French fries.
Crusader
Crusader

HawkTheSlayer and Thom Paine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:50 am

Soul food cooking oil smells like chicken.

2cent and Thom Paine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next