Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Frozen Cave Lion Is So Well Preserved You Can Still See Its Whiskers

3 posters

Go down

This Frozen Cave Lion Is So Well Preserved You Can Still See Its Whiskers Empty This Frozen Cave Lion Is So Well Preserved You Can Still See Its Whiskers

Post by Red Lily Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:47 pm

A nearly 28,000-year-old cave lion cub, discovered frozen in the Siberian permafrost, is so well preserved, you can still make out each and every one of her whiskers.

Researchers in Sweden suggest that the cub, nicknamed Sparta, is among the best preserved Ice Age animals ever uncovered. Her teeth, skin, and soft tissue have all been mummified by the ice. Even her organs remain intact.

Sparta is one of a number of cave lion cubs (Panthera spelaea) that have been found buried in the permafrost of Yakutia, which lies in the northeast corner of Russia. She was discovered in 2018 by local resident Boris Berezhnev, who was looking for ancient mammoth tusks among the tundra.

In recent years, residents in Siberia have pulled woolly rhinos, wolves, brown bears, horses, reindeer, and bison out of the permafrost, and some of these carcasses date as far back as 40,000 years.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/techandscience/this-frozen-cave-lion-is-so-well-preserved-you-can-still-see-its-whiskers/ar-AA1623Jg?rc=1&ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=debd3d1ac79a4372867ffc66875e1fda

This Frozen Cave Lion Is So Well Preserved You Can Still See Its Whiskers 108411691.3

WOW!
Red Lily
Red Lily

HawkTheSlayer, vege57, 2cent and Lummy like this post

Back to top Go down

This Frozen Cave Lion Is So Well Preserved You Can Still See Its Whiskers Empty Re: This Frozen Cave Lion Is So Well Preserved You Can Still See Its Whiskers

Post by Calypso Jones Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:57 pm

poor little thing..>they found another kit a short distance away but the carbon dating comes up different...as it usually does.  It is not dependable.  IN order for this cub to be this well preserved......it would have to have died very quickly in some catastrophic manner...mudslide, avalanche.

This little thing was found in August 2021...i don't know why they have to drag these things out again periodically as if they're new. Just say....more on....this and that.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

This Frozen Cave Lion Is So Well Preserved You Can Still See Its Whiskers Empty Re: This Frozen Cave Lion Is So Well Preserved You Can Still See Its Whiskers

Post by 2cent Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:10 pm

THAT, is absolutely fascinating. Magical, in it's way, even.

Hard as it's "fast freeze" may be to believe for some, the Ice Age is said to have hit hard and fast. I can well imagine Siberia being affected in such a way as to freeze some animals right in their paths - - or close to it. Enough to preserve animals in the condition that Sparta and Boris were, at any rate.

This isn't the first time I've heard of such incredible findings. Nor, for that matter, the desire to clone them. Which, I imagine, is the reason for bringing up the subject of "Ice-Age" findings every chance they get: the hope to make the notion more acceptable every time to do.

I understand the desire. I'm just not sure I so much go along with it.
2cent
2cent

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down