Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Fifty-Cent Toy That Changed The World

5 posters

Go down

A Fifty-Cent Toy That Changed The World Empty A Fifty-Cent Toy That Changed The World

Post by HawkTheSlayer Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:04 pm

How I miss Paul Harvey!
I used to listen as far back as a young lad in art class after school in the early 70s. And then as a teenager in the the late 70s in the same class in high school.

The teacher was a very well known artist and CSJ/SSJ nun.

She loved Paul Harvey and always had the radio on .
Kinda rubbed off on me.

Last edited by HawkTheSlayer on Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Red Lily, 2cent and Thom Paine like this post

Back to top Go down

A Fifty-Cent Toy That Changed The World Empty Re: A Fifty-Cent Toy That Changed The World

Post by HawkTheSlayer Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:23 pm

You know, 50 cents back in 1878 was a lot of money!

Red Lily and Thom Paine like this post

Back to top Go down

A Fifty-Cent Toy That Changed The World Empty Re: A Fifty-Cent Toy That Changed The World

Post by Red Lily Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:08 pm

I'm glad you decided you were a teenager rather than a young lady! I was a bit worried. Laughing
Red Lily
Red Lily

HawkTheSlayer and Thom Paine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:49 pm

Well...it's a nice story but methinks a bit sanitized. First, the Wright Bros were not overly successful in their earlier lives...they were BICYCLE MECHANICS. Honest work, surely; and needed work, with the "safety bicycle" the then-new mode of affordable personal transport (replacing the dangerous, awkward Penny-Farthing bicycle). But, not overly creative work.

While the Wrights were dabbling in gliders and (to their credit) building a homemade wind tunnel to test wing lift, Samuel Langley and others in Europe were playing with the same ideas. IIRC, the Wrights, like Thomas Edison with his incandescent light...all of them had long legal fights over patent rights. Whether they were the first or not, they had plenty of competition...others with the same ideas.

Nor were the Wrights able to prosper on their new ideas, long. IIRC, one of the brothers died on a train trip...in his sleep; the other was distraught and retreated into a hermit's existence. The Wright company was sold to competitors...trying to remember the name of it; but the Wrights were a brief flame in early aviation history.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Thom Paine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jirqoadai Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:21 am

Curtis bought wright
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

Casey Jones and Thom Paine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:08 am

Curtiss.

Double S.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:10 am

I see, my information is wrong.

Wilbur died of food poisoning. While in Boston...got home, slow death.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by JMWinPR Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:42 am

He was great in many areas, but he got suckered on a couple of occasion
Louise Ciccone and Natalie Hershlag both come to mind. Ms Ciccone (Madonna) won some award shortly after a clip about her as did Ms. Heshlag (Natalie Portman) in Black Swan.
Madonna while talented, always catered to the LCD. Portman only in Leon the Professional

JMWinPR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down