Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What happens when lightning strikes a car?

+2
RV
Lummy
6 posters

Go down

What happens when lightning strikes a car? Empty What happens when lightning strikes a car?

Post by Lummy Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:03 am

Lightening strikes an auto:

A convertible would be dangerous:

Lummy
Lummy

HawkTheSlayer and 2cent like this post

Back to top Go down

What happens when lightning strikes a car? Empty Re: What happens when lightning strikes a car?

Post by RV Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:52 pm

Theoretically, nothing, as long as all four tires are touching the ground AND you aren't touching any metal surfaces in the car. Have I ever been in a car struck by lightening? No. Would I ever want to be in a car struck by lightening? No. Would I bet my or anyone else's life on it? No.
RV
RV

https://www.oann.com/

Back to top Go down

What happens when lightning strikes a car? Empty Re: What happens when lightning strikes a car?

Post by 2cent Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:39 pm

A buddy of Mr. 2's got hit by lightning.  Fried out all the electrical components, fattened one tire, and completely blew another one clean off the car.  I forget what all else happened, but what a mess!
Oh, btw, he wasn't in it.

What was that bit in the 1st vid going on about having the exterior of the car specially made to conduct electricity? Or was he trying to say that ALL cars are made that way? What happens when lightning strikes a car? 809917594
If it's the former, then he cheated. Boo.
2cent
2cent

Back to top Go down

Post by Crusader Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:03 pm

I have a fiberglass roof on my Jeep. I wonder how that would hold up.
Crusader
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:07 pm

2cent wrote:A buddy of Mr. 2's got hit by lightning.  Fried out all the electrical components, fattened one tire, and completely blew another one clean off the car.  I forget what all else happened, but what a mess!
Oh, btw, he wasn't in it.  

What was that bit in the 1st vid going on about having the exterior of the car specially made to conduct electricity?  Or was he trying to say that ALL cars are made that way?  What happens when lightning strikes a car? 809917594
If it's the former, then he cheated.  Boo.

""A typical lightning flash is about 300 million Volts and about 30,000 Amps. "

They only put 800k through the car
vege57
vege57

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:59 pm

Crusader wrote:I have a fiberglass roof on my Jeep.  I wonder how that would hold up.

prolly explode if it had any faults in it that allowed water into it
vege57
vege57

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey Jones Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:40 pm

Crusader wrote:I have a fiberglass roof on my Jeep.  I wonder how that would hold up.

Not well.

The bolt would have to pass through the fiberglass to the inner roll bar (I'm assuming they still have those) or windshield frame. That would explode the top.

Your head would be inches from the roll cage. Would you be okay? I don't know.

For what it's worth, Jeeps have had fiberglass tops since 1976; and before that, Blazers and Broncos had fiberglass tops all through the 1970s. I don't recall any mass casualty events involving open-body SUVs with fiberglass roof pieces on them.

So...you're probably good to go...but you have a bit more exposure, shall we say.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Crusader likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down