Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier  Empty Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Post by Daily Bread Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:42 pm

An interesting guestion was brought up at my Civil War Forum and I figured maybe it would be of some interest to some here .
Would you approve of DNA testing remains of soldiers that we have designated " Unknown "?
This came up because of remains found on the Gettysburg site that are presumably Confederate war dead .
I'm all for it but I believe the remains should be left on the battlefield that their fellow soldiers buried them on unless the family had other reasons to bring them home or in the case of a recent battle .
Daily Bread
Daily Bread

https://gettr.com/i/dailybread

HawkTheSlayer, Red Lily, JMWinPR and Thom Paine like this post

Back to top Go down

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier  Empty Re: Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Post by HawkTheSlayer Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:05 pm

I'm not sure about any of it.

I think the dead should be respected and laid to rest perpetually.

I guess in certain cases of "need", it should be allowed.

I'm not for the wholesale exumation of unknown, civil war remains.
Reeks of a government scam to obtain massive amounts of DNA.

Daily Bread, Casey Jones, JMWinPR and Thom Paine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jirqoadai Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:31 pm

sorry. many wounded were pronounced killed. and also some wounded died later. a few 8 years later. as for repect, i have an ancestor named Charles Swope. he was from a 90day PA reg. he was shot by one of Kershaws Miss Brig in his face.......by buck n ball. lived to sire 4 more children. meanwhile, i had written permission by three property owners  on whos land i was on, detecting old oxbows of Rock Creek. ranger smiff came by and took my rod. he couldve arrested me, but instead gave me a court ticket, which i declined to apear at. if they are :conflag2: let them be. anything else, loot them.
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

Daily Bread likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Daily Bread Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:33 pm

Oops

Last edited by Daily Bread on Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daily Bread
Daily Bread

Back to top Go down

Post by Daily Bread Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:57 pm

HawkTheSlayer wrote:I'm not sure about any of it.

I think the dead should be respected and laid to rest perpetually.

I guess in certain cases of "need", it should be allowed.

I'm not for the wholesale exumation of unknown, civil war remains.
Reeks of a government scam to obtain massive amounts of DNA.
I'm kinda in the middle on this . Most of those kids left their families and were never heard from again .The Civil War , in particular , was before education , reading and being able to write was uncommon and most soldiers could only communicate when they were home on leave and that wasn't a common practice in the time . When killed in battle they were buried and IDs were not common so the families never knew what ,where or why they were gone . I'm sure the families assumed death but most never knew the where and when . Those close to them are all gone now so I guess most family survivors today wouldn't be too effected either way and that's why I say leave them on a protected battle field and if a name plaque can be applied to them than do it . They fought for a cause and win or lose they are our history and deserve recognition .
Daily Bread
Daily Bread

Red Lily and JMWinPR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Daily Bread Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:02 pm

jirqoadai wrote:sorry. many wounded were pronounced killed. and also some wounded died later. a few 8 years later. as for repect, i have an ancestor named Charles Swope. he was from a 90day PA reg. he was shot by one of Kershaws Miss Brig in his face.......by buck n ball. lived to sire 4 more children. meanwhile, i had written permission by three property owners  on whos land i was on, detecting old oxbows of Rock Creek. ranger smiff came by and took my rod. he couldve arrested me, but instead gave me a court ticket, which i declined to apear at. if they are :conflag2: let them be. anything else, loot them.
Understood and agree about erroneous listings (with many done on purpose to start a new identity in civilian life ) but I'm speaking of mainly bodies found buried on old battlefields and possibly the tombs of unknown soldiers .
Daily Bread
Daily Bread

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:36 pm

Daily Bread wrote:
jirqoadai wrote:sorry. many wounded were pronounced killed. and also some wounded died later. a few 8 years later. as for repect, i have an ancestor named Charles Swope. he was from a 90day PA reg. he was shot by one of Kershaws Miss Brig in his face.......by buck n ball. lived to sire 4 more children. meanwhile, i had written permission by three property owners  on whos land i was on, detecting old oxbows of Rock Creek. ranger smiff came by and took my rod. he couldve arrested me, but instead gave me a court ticket, which i declined to apear at. if they are :conflag2: let them be. anything else, loot them.
Understood and agree about erroneous listings (with many done on purpose to start a new identity in civilian life ) but I'm speaking of mainly bodies found buried on old battlefields and possibly the tombs of unknown soldiers .  
Well I understand s little better now

Back to top Go down

Post by jirqoadai Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:50 pm

Daily Bread wrote:
all respect for union motherfuckers went out the window when they denied two chest compressions for US Senator William Barksdale, alowing him to die of shock while breathing through his shot out lung. they simply stared at him soraying his white shirt until he died. no mercy is deserved to the cretans.
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

Back to top Go down

Post by jirqoadai Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:51 pm

jirqoadai wrote:
Daily Bread wrote:
all respect for union motherfuckers went out the window when they denied two chest compressions for US Senator William Barksdale, alowing him to die of shock while breathing through his shot out lung. they simply stared at him spraying his white shirt until he died. no mercy is deserved to the cretans.
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:51 pm

jirqoadai wrote:
Daily Bread wrote:
all respect for union motherfuckers went out the window when they denied two chest compressions for US Senator William Barksdale, alowing him to die of shock while breathing through his shot out lung. they simply stared at him soraying his white shirt until he died. no mercy is deserved to the cretans.

From what I understand he was shot twice in the leg and once in the chest then moved from the field to a farmhouse. Nothing would have saved him least of all "two" chest compressions.

They stared at him until he died? Were you there?
Red Lily
Red Lily

HawkTheSlayer and JMWinPR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next