Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Don't Fry Pork!

4 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Don't Fry Pork! Empty Don't Fry Pork!

Post by HawkTheSlayer Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:46 pm

I have to admit, everything about this meal looks excellent. And not too much work!

Red Lily, JMWinPR, Thom Paine and Sprintcyclist like this post

Back to top Go down

Don't Fry Pork! Empty Re: Don't Fry Pork!

Post by vege57 Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:38 pm

HawkTheSlayer wrote:I have to admit, everything about this meal looks excellent. And not too much work!

Jesus on a farkin cracker, I felt my arteries hardening just watching it lol,

I enjoy mashed spuds with red onions, But I tend to put the finely diced onion in just before I serve it , I like the textural element and the little bit of raw onion bite that it presents , also a little grated cheese
vege57
vege57

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:59 pm

vege57 wrote:
HawkTheSlayer wrote:I have to admit, everything about this meal looks excellent. And not too much work!

I enjoy mashed spuds with red onions, But I tend to put the finely diced onion in just before I serve it , I like the textural element and  the little bit of raw onion bite that it presents , also a little grated cheese

Yes, raw finely diced onion is really nice.
Raw VERY finely grated ginger on steamed veges lifts them beautifully.

Had that chef not put 1/2 a handful of salt in everything and used LOTS of herbs it'ld be a totally different meal.
I generally add 0 salt. If people want to add it to their individual meal, well and good.

Sprintcyclist

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:09 pm

vege57 wrote:

I enjoy mashed spuds with red onions, But I tend to put the finely diced onion in just before I serve it , I like the textural element and  the little bit of raw onion bite that it presents , also a little grated cheese

I like shallots/green onions in my mashed tatas as they aren't as pungent as raw onions. Some garlic and a good handful of cheese makes it even better.
Red Lily
Red Lily

vege57 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:10 pm

Sprintcyclist wrote:
vege57 wrote:

Yes, raw finely diced onion is really nice.
Raw VERY finely grated ginger on steamed veges lifts them beautifully.

Had that chef not put 1/2 a handful of salt in everything and used LOTS of herbs it'ld be a totally different meal.
I generally add 0 salt. If people want to add it to their individual meal, well and good.

They do like to throw a ton of salt on things, I like salt but Ii try and introduce it via other mediums that add to depth of flavour , soy sauce and such like ,I do a lot of oven cooked chips, I put a little salt and fresh garlic when I preboil them, rough them up with some olive oil , and sprinkle a bit of dry rub over them , then toss them in the oven , my kids tell me they are the best chips/roast spuds they have ever eaten, crispy on the outside moist in the middle
vege57
vege57

Red Lily and Sprintcyclist like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:15 pm

Red Lily wrote:
vege57 wrote:

I like shallots/green onions in my mashed tatas as they aren't as pungent as raw onions.  Some garlic and a good handful of cheese makes it even better.

Sounds yum,

I find red onions to be a little more subtle than the white, and I put them in with the cheese whilst the potatoes are still hot and leave them for a couple of minutes , just to take off a bit of the rawness,
vege57
vege57

HawkTheSlayer, Red Lily and Sprintcyclist like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:38 am

vege57 wrote:
Red Lily wrote:
vege57 wrote:

............ Jesus on a farkin cracker, I felt my arteries hardening just watching it lol,

I like shallots/green onions in my mashed tatas as they aren't as pungent as raw onions.  Some garlic and a good handful of cheese makes it even better.

Sounds yum,

I find red onions to be a little more subtle than the white, and I put them in with the cheese whilst the potatoes are still hot and leave them for a couple of minutes , just to take off a bit of the rawness,

I just buy red onions now. Rather than buy both sorts.
Some things need red onions, white ones won't do. Any recipie that uses onions, red ones are quite ok.
red onion raw in salads is good. Fine shaves of them.

The French were really good with salads when we were there. Their salads are a meal

Sprintcyclist

vege57 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:44 am

Sprintcyclist wrote:
vege57 wrote:
Red Lily wrote:
vege57 wrote:

............  Jesus on a farkin cracker, I felt my arteries hardening just watching it lol,

Sounds yum,

I just buy red onions now. Rather than buy both sorts.
Some things need red onions, white ones won't do. Any recipie that uses onions, red ones are quite ok.
red onion raw in salads is good. Fine shaves of them.

The French were really good with salads when we were there. Their salads are a meal

I use red onions in salads and dishes when I'm not cooking them to caramelization , But I prefer whites when roasting them whole
vege57
vege57

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprintcyclist Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:59 am

Yes, that would be right.
Red ones roasted would be bland.

Sprintcyclist

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:04 am

Sprintcyclist wrote:Yes, that would be right.
Red ones roasted would be bland.

They appear more sugar in them and I don't find the combination of red with black caramelization to be aesthetically appealing , Probably taste the same
vege57
vege57

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next