Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Home Construction Ideas and Alternative Materials ...

+2
2cent
Lummy
6 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

New Home Construction Ideas and Alternative Materials ... - Page 2 Empty Re: New Home Construction Ideas and Alternative Materials ...

Post by Lummy Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:08 pm

Seems to me you could have as many of these generating power as you want. As long as there's a strong enough breeze to turn them, you've got power in cumulative abundance.

Lummy
Lummy

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

New Home Construction Ideas and Alternative Materials ... - Page 2 Empty Re: New Home Construction Ideas and Alternative Materials ...

Post by Crusader Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:20 pm

Lummy wrote:Seems to me you could have as many of these generating power as you want. As long as there's a strong enough breeze to turn them, you've got power in cumulative abundance.

I like the Vertical Axis Wind Turbines. Because the wind direction doesn't matter, changing wind directions don't affect them as much. You don't need to put them up on a tower as high. Just above your roof line is fine. That makes maintenance easier. They aren't as fragile and are typically built for larger output because you don't have to mount them as high on a pole. They are heavier. I'm considering putting one at the back end of my house at the ridge. I will have roof access and it won't interfere with my solar. You would need to study the wind at your location first to find out if it's worth the trouble. You can get annual wind data from nearby weather stations and then take your trees and land topography into account. Net metering is a huge plus for any RE installation if you are not off the grid.
Crusader
Crusader

HawkTheSlayer and Thom Paine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lummy Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:33 pm

Current models appear to run in price from about $200 for 300 watts on up to as much as you want to pay. Assuming much as you want to pay does not equate to the best you can get, do you have any d'ruthers?
Lummy
Lummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crusader Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:58 am

Lummy wrote:Current models appear to run in price from about $200 for 300 watts on up to as much as you want to pay. Assuming much as you want to pay does not equate to the best you can get, do you have any d'ruthers?

I couldn't comment on specific brands.  Only some of the advantages or disadvantages of the different types of wind generators.

Mueller Buildings has an on line design tool for metal buildings.  I can't do a final design until I know the layout and orientation of the land, but this is what I am looking at if my house faces East with full Southern exposure for solar panels.

New Home Construction Ideas and Alternative Materials ... - Page 2 Screen12
New Home Construction Ideas and Alternative Materials ... - Page 2 Screen13

The front 40x30 would be living quarters and the rear 40x30 would be garage/shop. I want to put a second story loft over about half of the downstairs and it will include a game room and office/spare bedroom. I'm considering putting the stairs in the shop. The game loft will overlook the living room and be directly over the kitchen part of the great room and downstairs bedrooms.

The entire building will be closed cell spray foam insulated with zoned air conditioning. Probably a minisplit system. I will supplement Winter heat with a wood burning stove. Cooling is much more important in Texas, except when power goes out in the Winter. I would frame in a 15x20 section of the long covered patio for a daybed porch swing and hot tub. The patio door entrance is in the living room.

I chose the colors because I know I won't get tired of them and the lighter colors will help keep out heat on the roof. Solar panels will cover a good portion of the South facing roof to provide shade on the roof. I can easily add rainwater collection in the future.
Crusader
Crusader

HawkTheSlayer, Red Lily and Lummy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lummy Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:43 am

Just wondering ... why not wrap the overhang around to include that one end ... or for aesthetic reasons, both ends?
Lummy
Lummy

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:14 pm

Crusader wrote:
Lummy wrote:Current models appear to run in price from about $200 for 300 watts on up to as much as you want to pay. Assuming much as you want to pay does not equate to the best you can get, do you have any d'ruthers?

I couldn't comment on specific brands.  Only some of the advantages or disadvantages of the different types of wind generators.

Mueller Buildings has an on line design tool for metal buildings.  I can't do a final design until I know the layout and orientation of the land, but this is what I am looking at if my house faces East with full Southern exposure for solar panels.

The front 40x30 would be living quarters and the rear 40x30 would be garage/shop.  I want to put a second story loft over about half of the downstairs and it will include a game room and office/spare bedroom.  I'm considering putting the stairs in the shop.  The game loft will overlook the living room and be directly over the kitchen part of the great room and downstairs bedrooms.  

The entire building will be closed cell spray foam insulated with zoned air conditioning.  Probably a minisplit system.  I will supplement Winter heat with a wood burning stove.  Cooling is much more important in Texas, except when power goes out in the Winter.  I would frame in a 15x20 section of the long covered patio for a daybed porch swing and hot tub.  The patio door entrance is in the living room.

I chose the colors because I know I won't get tired of them and the lighter colors will help keep out heat on the roof.  Solar panels will cover a good portion of the South facing roof to provide shade on the roof.  I can easily add rainwater collection in the future.

Need an upper deck for the wimmin to sun on.

Thom Paine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Crusader Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:50 pm

HawkTheSlayer wrote:
Crusader wrote:

The front 40x30 would be living quarters and the rear 40x30 would be garage/shop.  I want to put a second story loft over about half of the downstairs and it will include a game room and office/spare bedroom.  I'm considering putting the stairs in the shop.  The game loft will overlook the living room and be directly over the kitchen part of the great room and downstairs bedrooms.  

The entire building will be closed cell spray foam insulated with zoned air conditioning.  Probably a minisplit system.  I will supplement Winter heat with a wood burning stove.  Cooling is much more important in Texas, except when power goes out in the Winter.  I would frame in a 15x20 section of the long covered patio for a daybed porch swing and hot tub.  The patio door entrance is in the living room.

I chose the colors because I know I won't get tired of them and the lighter colors will help keep out heat on the roof.  Solar panels will cover a good portion of the South facing roof to provide shade on the roof.  I can easily add rainwater collection in the future.

Need an upper deck for the wimmin to sun on.

Sun decks are for amateurs. I want a hot tub on the side covered patio.
Crusader
Crusader

HawkTheSlayer and Thom Paine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Crusader Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:01 pm

Lummy wrote:Just wondering ... why not wrap the overhang around to include that one end ... or for aesthetic reasons, both ends?

Mostly money, but I was planning on screening in the first 20 ft of the side patio by the glass door for a hot tub and either a daybed porch swing or a picnic table. I'm thinking about raised cedar planters on both sides of the front porch. As is, I'll have over 1000 sf of covered porch space. The side porch is 15x60 and the front porch is 15x10.
Crusader
Crusader

Thom Paine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jirqoadai Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:00 am

Tex. i know youre gonna be in TEXAS and in your part it would be rare, but a five foot wet snowstorm will collapse your building. a more peeked roof will enable you to shovel it off easier.
jirqoadai
jirqoadai

Back to top Go down

Post by Crusader Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:02 am

jirqoadai wrote:Tex. i know youre gonna be in TEXAS and in your part it would be rare, but a five foot wet snowstorm will collapse your building. a more peeked roof will enable you to shovel it off easier.

The record snowfall here was 12 1/2 inches in 2012.  That's a 5/12 pitch and as high as Mueller will go.  I'm looking for a 6/12 to match my latitude for a proper solar angle and to give me more ceiling room for my loft. A continuous arch would be better for snow loading.
New Home Construction Ideas and Alternative Materials ... - Page 2 1-18-960x550_c
Crusader
Crusader

jirqoadai likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next