Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fishing the Ozarks

+2
jirqoadai
2cent
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Fishing the Ozarks - Page 2 Empty Re: Fishing the Ozarks

Post by Casey Jones Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:52 pm

2cent wrote:
Nice to hear somebody who 'gets' it.  But not just a little - a lot.  The lakes are over-crowded, noisy, and over-fished.  What's so difficult about that for some people to understand is unfathomable.  

FWIW, usually by now, the guys would've caught somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-60 fish - that were keepers - each.  And plenty that weren't.  (Keepers, that is.)
This, and last, year doesn't comes close to touching that.

Were they stocked, past years?

Because of Wu Flu (and the allure of an indefinite paid vacation) state fish & game employees may not have been stocking the waters. So...fewer fish in there; and more fishermen.

It's been over 40 years since I went boating; but I've seen Lake Chautauqua from the shore, many times, from around 2000 to 2009. That was the lake where, as a 17-year-old with a first job, I was commuting across the lake in a rowboat with an outboard motor. The chaotic water traffic of our Post-9-11 economic bubble, was unbelievable. I can't see how that could even now be pleasurable.
Casey Jones
Casey Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:56 pm

2cent wrote:
vege57 wrote:
2cent wrote:Some good news.  Finally, a good day of fishing.  10 bass went home w/the buddy for his S-in-L, and Mr. 2 kept the ...get this ...25" walleye!

Gee, just try to take a guess at what's for dinner. Very Happy

That's why the call it fishing not catching, The fish don't always play the game lol

A lot of boat noise may have unsettled the fish, changed their routine a little
Nice to hear somebody who 'gets' it.  But not just a little - a lot.  The lakes are over-crowded, noisy, and over-fished.  What's so difficult about that for some people to understand is unfathomable.  

FWIW, usually by now, the guys would've caught somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-60 'keepers' - each - and plenty that weren't.
This and last year don't come close to touching that.

We only have one decent fishable lake in Auckland, its a volcanic crater and not very big, most fishing is oceanic or the respective harbours feeding off them , I can get to either the Tasman sea or the Pacific ocean from where I live in 30 minutes non peak
vege57
vege57

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:57 am

Casey Jones wrote:
2cent wrote:

FWIW, usually by now, the guys would've caught somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-60 fish - that were keepers - each.  And plenty that weren't.  (Keepers, that is.)
This, and last, year doesn't comes close to touching that.

Were they stocked, past years?

Because of Wu Flu (and the allure of an indefinite paid vacation) state fish & game employees may not have been stocking the waters.  So...fewer fish in there; and more fishermen.

It's been over 40 years since I went boating; but I've seen Lake Chautauqua from the shore, many times, from around 2000 to 2009.   That was the lake where, as a 17-year-old with a first job, I was commuting across the lake in a rowboat with an outboard motor.  The chaotic water traffic of our Post-9-11 economic bubble, was unbelievable.  I can't see how that could even now be pleasurable.
Ages ago, there was simply the White River. It attracted trout fishermen. The area was quiet, green, and very inviting to adventurers who wanted to get away from it all.
In 1958 Table Rock Dam was completed along the White River, and thus, Table Rock Lake, and Lake Taneycomo came to be. Then, another dam along the White River formed Bull Shoals Lake; the one I live on. (Table Rock & Taneycomo are in MO, Bull Shoals crosses the MO/AR border.) They're what's known as "finger lakes." IAC, the trout fishing is what started the Branson, MO, Country Music Jr. capital of the U.S.
Lake Taneycomo is fed off the bottom waters from Table Rock - hence, trout fishing attraction. Local folks don't much fish that. Tourists are more prone, and perhaps pro's. I'm not all that acquainted w/it, except that it used to be a nice spot to visit in downtown Branson on a lazy day, bringing your stale bread to feed the geese. There's now a mall along its shores. Sad

Oh, to answer your question, no, the lakes are not stocked. One year, the Corp made the mistake of stocking Stripers in Bull Shoals. The fishermen went berserk, read to kill, and that was the last of that ineptitude of magnitude.

*Btw, @Casey Jones, you might find, The Shepard of the Hills, an interesting read. It tells all about the background of one of the families that lived here back in the day; a touching history that's played out in, well, an open air play, to this day.

2cent
2cent

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2