Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Doc Martin BBC series? could be NPR or PBS...who cares

4 posters

:: Media :: All Others

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Doc Martin  BBC series?   could be NPR or PBS...who cares Empty Doc Martin BBC series? could be NPR or PBS...who cares

Post by Calypso Jones Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:08 pm

But i do like the show.  I've seen season 1 - 6 on Roku and to see 7 8 9 i have to do the seven day free trial and of course i have to join or not after that date and i say..hell with 'em.  I'm thinking of buying it.  Can get it at Ebay for a reasonable price.

Any comments?

I'll tell you about it.   So this very good surgeon Doctor Martin Ellingham suddenly develops hemaphobia and decides to work in a small (fictional) town of Port Wenn or Port When..i forget.  He has no bedside manner.   That is because his parents were worthless self absorbed, cruel, bastards who should not  have had children in the first place.   Port Wenn also is the home of his aunt Joan who loved him as a child and then Martin's mother decided that Martin could have no warm family relationship with Joan because she was an ADULTERER..something that martin's parents were more than guilty of.  As a result martin grew up as a cold, matter of fact, socially incapable child into an adult.  Almost like Aspergers but not a mental condition..more an emotional/psychological condition IN MY OPINION.     he meets a woman upon his introduction to Port Wenn and it didn't go well but over the course of the next five seasons...they marry.  VERY difficult marriage.   Martin doesn't understand the complexities of married life and Louisa expects more from Martin that she doesn't realize he is incapable of providing.   WE, as viewers, see that Louisa has her own problems, her own assumptions and as often as not, she makes her own problems.  TO compound the problems, they have a little boy, James Henry Out of wedlock....sweet little thing.

In spite of all this and perhaps because of martin's upbringing, he is a fantastic doctor.  very dedicated but suffers no fools or foolishness lightly.   Makes him odd.  

So here we are and Louisa had been hit by a car chasing down Martin for his behavior at a school race (louisa is the head mistress.   I'd say that martin is probably 10 years old than Louisa and she's not 36, her character i mean.   Martin catches a deadly aneurism in her brain when the hospital did a brain scan upon her admittance into hospital after the accident.   HOWEVER, she was headed to Spain to stay with her mom so that she could think about her future relationship with Martin..of course she is taking James Henry Ellingham, her little son.  not yet 6 months old.     The pressure in the plane cabin would have caused the 'leak' to be a problem and kill her before she got to Spain...so Martin is chasing her down before she gets on plane and to get her into surgery.  Of course he is successful. And he tells her that he is not good at this marriage thing but he'd like to learn how to be...cause he loves her.

There are other fascinating, eccentric, hilarious citizens of port wenn and we get to meet his horrid father and mother.  Claire Bloom plays his awful mother.    He has another aunt, Aunt Ruth Ellingham...psychiatrist and author... who inherits Joan's country home and farm.  This aunt is also kind and loving to Martin so no problems there.

by the way. The Character Ruth Ellingham is played by Dame Eileen Atkins who coincidentally played the old goat woman in Cold Mountain.

Last edited by Calypso Jones on Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Doc Martin  BBC series?   could be NPR or PBS...who cares Empty Re: Doc Martin BBC series? could be NPR or PBS...who cares

Post by HawkTheSlayer Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:49 pm

I had a friend who was in the movies. Well just one movie.
...Dirty Doc and The Booty Bandits Doc Martin  BBC series?   could be NPR or PBS...who cares 773625082

Back to top Go down

Doc Martin  BBC series?   could be NPR or PBS...who cares Empty Re: Doc Martin BBC series? could be NPR or PBS...who cares

Post by Calypso Jones Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:51 pm

Differnt movie.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:57 pm

Calypso Jones wrote:Differnt movie.
I've watched a few episodes over the years. Pretty boring but I've seen one or two decent ones.
I watched the first season of Downton Abbey. It was pretty good.

I like British comedy but British drama is pretty boring.

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:33 pm

well this is funny.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:11 pm

Calypso Jones wrote:well this is funny.
Funny, ha-ha I hope.

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:11 pm

yes.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:13 pm

I've never really been able to get into Brit humor.   Irish yes. Irish humor can be pretty raunchy though so probably not for everyone.
Red Lily
Red Lily

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:19 pm

I like some of it. Absolutely Fabulous. I really enjoyed. THis is not too bad. Two films i rather like or Enchanted April and Sense and Sensibility. I wouldn't have 15 years ago.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:21 pm

Doc Martin is a good program . It was interesting learning his storyline, history, background from CJ.
He never struck me as odd on the show.

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next