Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prepper food and Storage Information

4 posters

Go down

Prepper food and Storage Information Empty Prepper food and Storage Information

Post by Calypso Jones Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:24 pm

Well..it wouldn't be wise for people to make it known that they have a food store. But i think i'm detecting in certain foods a popensity for those foods to become rancid in a short period of time. And i don't believe that is an accident.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Prepper food and Storage Information Empty Re: Prepper food and Storage Information

Post by Lummy Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:48 pm

Shocked

You should tell the company immediately and ask how to proceed. Could just be a "bad batch" or something, in which case they'll get right on that. Don't let it slide.
Lummy
Lummy

Back to top Go down

Prepper food and Storage Information Empty Re: Prepper food and Storage Information

Post by Calypso Jones Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:55 pm

My stores are fine. My daughters...some have seemed to expand.

I'm primarily talking about store bought products that seem to have a MUCH shorter shelf life than when previously purchased.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:43 pm

Lots of dry goods , Rice, flour. dried salted proteins , nuts ,seeds, these can be put into large airtight containers and purged with an inert gas to stop any oxidisation or infiltration of pests, they will last for years
vege57
vege57

HawkTheSlayer, Red Lily and Lummy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lummy Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:21 pm

Calypso Jones wrote:My stores are fine.  My daughters...some have seemed to expand.

I'm primarily talking about store bought products that seem to have a MUCH shorter shelf life than when previously purchased.  

If there's buildup of gas in the can or jar, it could be a sign of contamination or of botulism. The latter is poison.
Lummy
Lummy

Back to top Go down

Post by vege57 Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:26 pm

Lummy wrote:
Calypso Jones wrote:My stores are fine.  My daughters...some have seemed to expand.

If there's buildup of gas in the can or jar, it could be a sign of contamination or of botulism. The latter is poison.

Botulism is not a massive prob as the toxin is easily destroyed with heat, 85c will do it
vege57
vege57

Back to top Go down

Post by Lummy Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:26 pm

Botulism is one example. I'm sure there are others ... Given CJ's post, it would be a concern to me, but I'm not very tough.
Lummy
Lummy

Back to top Go down

Post by USC Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:49 am

Bought a crap ton of eggs 2 months ago. Fancy eggs.

Girl there said they would keep for at least 3 months unrefrigeratred.

I'm down to the last 25 or so but lots have gone bad. Not hydrogen sulfide bad, but black yoke bad.

It did not stink.

I have made plans to try pickling some eggs with horseradish. Will try horseradish pickles too.

USC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down