Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murphy's Laws explain unfathomable truths

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Murphy's Laws explain unfathomable truths Empty Murphy's Laws explain unfathomable truths

Post by Calypso Jones Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:46 am

https://www.thoughtco.com/murphys-laws-explain-unfathomable-truths-2832861
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

HawkTheSlayer and Red Lily like this post

Back to top Go down

Murphy's Laws explain unfathomable truths Empty Re: Murphy's Laws explain unfathomable truths

Post by HawkTheSlayer Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:56 am

Number 2 and 3. That's me.

I work better under pressure.

Red Lily, Daily Bread and 2cent like this post

Back to top Go down

Murphy's Laws explain unfathomable truths Empty Re: Murphy's Laws explain unfathomable truths

Post by Red Lily Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:41 pm

When a fact is difficult to contest, people accept it at face value. When you present a fact that can be easily verified or refuted, however, people want to be sure. Why? Because humans tend to take overwhelming information for granted. They don't have the resources or the presence of mind to work out the veracity of a tall claim.

There's been a lot of this going around. The problem is that too people, although they have the resources to confirm a fact, prefer to run with a lie.
Red Lily
Red Lily

HawkTheSlayer, Calypso Jones and 2cent like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayer Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:02 pm

It's like the old adage , "A lie need be only told once for it to be believed. Whereas the truth must be told time and time again for it to be believed".

Cue the MSM and the ignorant masses.

Red Lily, Calypso Jones and Casey Jones like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:07 pm

I think those who are wont to tell lies routinely are the ones who believe and perpetuate them.
Red Lily
Red Lily

HawkTheSlayer and Calypso Jones like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:06 pm

HawkTheSlayer wrote:Number 2 and 3. That's  me.

I work better under pressure.
I think the author completely misunderstood "working under pressure."  
For convenience's sake, here's how (s)he put it:
Don't we all know how true this is? When you try to force things to work in your favor, they are apt to get worse. If you're parenting a teenager, you have already worked this out. The more pressure you apply, the less likely you are to be successful.

It's not about trying to force something to work; it's about accomplishing something within a time constraint, or having a multitude of tasks at hand.

Fwiw, it's when I work best, too.  Helps a person to focus, and I bet many people fall under that category.

Which pretty well tells ya that I'm not one to accept much of anything at face value.  lol

Last edited by 2cent on Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
2cent
2cent

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:24 pm

Red Lily wrote:When a fact is difficult to contest, people accept it at face value. When you present a fact that can be easily verified or refuted, however, people want to be sure. Why? Because humans tend to take overwhelming information for granted. They don't have the resources or the presence of mind to work out the veracity of a tall claim.

There's been a lot of this going around.  The problem is that too people, although they have the resources to confirm a fact, prefer to run with a lie.
Another one where I disagree w/the author. IOW, agree with you.
W
Like ya say, millions of people fall for easily verifiable "facts" every day. If that weren't the case, MSM would be out of business.

People tend to believe what they WANT to believe. Much of it due to plain brain laziness.

2cent
2cent

HawkTheSlayer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:08 pm

That working under pressure thing. THis is how i thought of it...or at least it came to my mind. And this has happend to me more than once. The more pressure i'm under and wanting to get it right, NEEDING IT TO BE RIGHT, because otherwise i'll look stupid or incompetent or i'd feel that way.

The harder i work on it in order to GET IT RIGHT, the more mistakes i make.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

2cent likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:26 pm

Calypso Jones wrote:That working under pressure thing.    THis is how i thought of it...or at least it came to my mind.   And this has happend to me more than once.   The more pressure i'm under and wanting to get it right, NEEDING IT TO BE RIGHT,  because otherwise i'll look stupid or incompetent or i'd feel that way.

I see what you're saying. Kinda like throwing your first dinner party bent on impressing the guests, (especially M-in-L), w/o having much of a clue on how to cook.
That's exactly when Murphy's Law will drop in to make his presence VERY well known. lol

2cent
2cent

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:25 pm

2cent wrote:
Calypso Jones wrote:That working under pressure thing.    THis is how i thought of it...or at least it came to my mind.   And this has happend to me more than once.   The more pressure i'm under and wanting to get it right, NEEDING IT TO BE RIGHT,  because otherwise i'll look stupid or incompetent or i'd feel that way.

I see what you're saying. Kinda like throwing your first dinner party bent on impressing the guests, (especially M-in-L), w/o having much of a clue on how to cook.  
That's exactly when Murphy's Law will drop in to make his presence VERY well known.  lol

yes and for every mistake you catch in time, your solution is worse. LOLOL
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next