Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Depression Era feed/ flour sack dresses

+2
Calypso Jones
Daily Bread
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Depression Era feed/ flour sack dresses  Empty Depression Era feed/ flour sack dresses

Post by Daily Bread Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:24 pm

Depression Era flour sack Dresses
Depression Era feed/ flour sack dresses  Oip17

The first mass-produced flour sacks were made of rough fabric that rural families repurposed as rags and towels. But once the bags became available in tighter weaves, frugal homemakers altered them into everything from underwear to curtains, and even dresses. As the flour sacks also held commodities such as sugar and animal feed, these homespun outfits became known as feedsack dresses.

For many families, disposable income was scarce, and the durable fabric from food sacks offered a rare opportunity for new clothing. To hide any sign of poverty, home sewers soaked off labels, dyed the fabric, and added embellishments. Eventually, distributors noticed the second life their bags were getting and saw an opportunity to make their products stand out. By 1925, Gingham Girl Flour offered bags in a variety of colors with labels that were easy to wash off, and the Textile Bag Manufacturers Association published a how-to book on sewing dresses from flour sacks. As even more households made use of feedsack dresses during the extra-frugal years of the Great Depression, other brands followed suit. One flour sack manufacturer even started offering “Tint-Sax” in a variety of pastel colors. Floral flour sacks were all the rage.Demand for inexpensive textiles remained high throughout World War II, and wartime rations put strict limitations on ready-made women’s clothing. Because cotton was restricted to military and industrial use, cloth from flour bags was among the only material available for homemade clothes. Suddenly, sewing with sacks became a mainstream, patriotic act, and women would buy, sell, and swap bags with neighbors. Department stores such as Macy’s even began stocking fashions made from sacks. In the 1950s, bags came in even more fabrics and styles, including denim and Disney prints, and trade groups held sewing contests to keep up interest — one second-place dress from 1959 is even part of the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History collection. By the 1960s, however, interest in feedsack dresses started to wane, and manufacturers increasingly packed flour and sugar in paper bags instead.
Depression Era feed/ flour sack dresses  Hus19k10
Daily Bread
Daily Bread

https://gettr.com/i/dailybread

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Depression Era feed/ flour sack dresses  Empty Re: Depression Era feed/ flour sack dresses

Post by Calypso Jones Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:11 pm

I think hilliary wears a version of that.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Depression Era feed/ flour sack dresses  Empty Re: Depression Era feed/ flour sack dresses

Post by Red Lily Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:11 pm

There's always someone industrious enough to know how to cash in on a trend or necessity.

With the earlier ones I can see them being made into curtains and clothing but underwear? That sounds kinda ouchy!

Red Lily
Red Lily

Daily Bread likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Daily Bread Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:45 pm

Calypso Jones wrote:I think hilliary wears a version of that.
Hillary was never much of a " trendsetter"
Depression Era feed/ flour sack dresses  2016-010
Daily Bread
Daily Bread

Calypso Jones and Thom Paine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:47 pm

When I was a child, I wore many feed sack dresses made by my mother and grandmother. Both were excellent seamstresses and my clothes were beautiful.

Jen
Jen

Daily Bread and Calypso Jones like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Daily Bread Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:49 pm

Red Lily wrote:There's always someone industrious enough to know how to cash in on a trend or necessity.

With the earlier ones I can see them being made into curtains and clothing but underwear?  That sounds kinda ouchy!

You'll need a lot of Woolite to soften these things up
Depression Era feed/ flour sack dresses  E4198610
Daily Bread
Daily Bread

Red Lily and 2cent like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Daily Bread Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:54 pm

Jen wrote:When I was a child, I wore many feed sack dresses made by my mother and grandmother.  Both were excellent seamstresses and my clothes were beautiful.

It was a necessity back when money was tight and we didn't have the hang ups of being cooler than the next door neighbor . I'm wondering if we can survive that way if those times come back .
Daily Bread
Daily Bread

Calypso Jones likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Calypso Jones Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:49 pm

Daily Bread wrote:
Red Lily wrote:There's always someone industrious enough to know how to cash in on a trend or necessity.

With the earlier ones I can see them being made into curtains and clothing but underwear?  That sounds kinda ouchy!

Our ancestors were tough.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:57 pm

Daily Bread wrote:

Reminds me of the pair of shorts one sister crocheted for another sister for Christmas! LOL
2cent
2cent

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Lily Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:23 pm

I'm kinda grateful that I've never even seen, let alone had to wear, anything pictured in this thread lol.
Red Lily
Red Lily

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next