Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gluten-free cooking

2 posters

Go down

Gluten-free cooking Empty Gluten-free cooking

Post by 2cent Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:39 pm

Gluten-free flour works a little differently from regular flour.  For one, it's dryer, so ya gotta compensate for that, but it isn't too terribly hard.
The Toll House Cookies I baked last night came out tasting the same as w/regular flour, at any rate.  Cool

One thing I learned.  "Gluten-free flour is RAW:  DO NOT EAT RAW FLOUR, DOUGH, OR BATTER."  I imagine it makes you sick, so I'm glad I checked the label.

Today I tried my hand at spaghetti noodles.  That was a bit more challenging.  Ya know, keeping them from sticking when rolling them out, and whatnot. Oy vey!  But, there they are spread out on the dining table doing their best to dry.  They're for dinner tomorrow night, so I'm thinking we're safe.  Time enough to dry, I mean.  Gotta have them put elsewhere by noon, though, 'course.  (Kids' ETA)

IAC, maybe you can teach this old dog new tricks.  Any of you culinary-type folks out there work with this gluten-free flour?  Any tips?

Last edited by 2cent on Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
2cent
2cent

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Gluten-free cooking Empty Re: Gluten-free cooking

Post by Red Lily Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:55 pm

I worked with gluten free flour years ago but not so much lately.  Back then gluten free bread was like a brick and cakes were dry, but now it's quite good.

My sister is a Coeliac so I used to make a lot of gluten free things for family occasions.  Mainly sweet things though and some I still do for birthdays.

Now, sorry to say, I wish she'd've choked on it.  Sad but true!

BTW I highly commend you on making your own pasta!
Red Lily
Red Lily

2cent likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2cent Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:06 pm

Red Lily wrote:I worked with gluten free flour years ago but not so much lately.  Back then gluten free bread was like a brick and cakes were dry, but now it's quite good.

My sister is a Coeliac so I used to make a lot of gluten free things for family occasions.  Mainly sweet things though and some I still do for birthdays.

Now, sorry to say, I wish she'd've choked on it.  Sad but true!

BTW I highly commend you on making your own pasta!
Sorry to hear the ending, Red. Sad, what'll happen to family once $$$ signs start showing up in siblings' eyeballs. It's a hurtful, painful, ugly haul, and I'm sorry you had to face that.
2cent
2cent

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum