Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Americans Owe Nearly $1 Trillion In Credit Card Debt

2 posters

Go down

Americans Owe Nearly $1 Trillion In Credit Card Debt Empty Americans Owe Nearly $1 Trillion In Credit Card Debt

Post by Crusader Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:08 am

https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/credit-cards/americans-owe-nearly-1-trillion-in-credit-card-debt/

The average American household owes almost $10k in credit card debt. Interest rates for cards are typically over 20%. I've always seen people driving nicer vehicles who I thought didn't earn more money than me. Now I know why. They are running up debt without having a plan to pay it off. Debt has increased 25% since before covid. I'm sure, some of the blame can be put on our government for wrecking the economy.

It sounds to me like most people on here are somewhat responsible, or at least realize where they have gone wrong and are dealing with it in an adult manner. What are you seeing with credit card debt? How are your kids handling the subject? Is the next generation so dumbed down that they are exacerbating the problem?
Crusader
Crusader

Red Lily likes this post

Back to top Go down

Americans Owe Nearly $1 Trillion In Credit Card Debt Empty Re: Americans Owe Nearly $1 Trillion In Credit Card Debt

Post by Calypso Jones Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:21 am

I pay my card off monthly. I will put a large charge on it for the cashback points periodically but i have a plan to pay it off when due. NO car payments. my kids are much the same way.

College costs. I paid for my kids. I determined that my kids were not going to have that debt. We paid it off, my kids either got full scholarships or paid off their loan by working. My daughter actually had friends angry with her that she had no college debt. I didn't realize it at the time that many of these kids are crazy. we sure know it now don't we.
Calypso Jones
Calypso Jones

Back to top Go down

Americans Owe Nearly $1 Trillion In Credit Card Debt Empty Re: Americans Owe Nearly $1 Trillion In Credit Card Debt

Post by Crusader Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:38 am

I charge everything for the cash back.  I pay my phone and auto insurance bills, grocery shop, eat out, ..............  I get paid every 2 weeks, so I check my card balance then and pay off the bill.  I want to make sure that I don't get stuck paying mega interest.

My oldest has about $5k in debt.  I nag at them a little and send them a little money sometimes.  Usually $100-200.  They seem to travel and vacation more than me, so I've decided to let them figure it out for themselves.  My son is 29.  My 27 year old is an enigma.  He is very quiet and doesn't talk about hardly anything.  He lives with his mom, so I hope he doesn't take her advice.  

My youngest(21) has a good job and a few thousand dollars saved up.  He has avoided debt and is doing OK(thanks to me).  He is getting the urge to move out on his own.  I'm trying to get him to save enough for a house downpayment before he leaves, but he seems pretty determined.  I hope he doesn't end up in debt over this, but he knows where I stand and he won't need an "I told you so".
Crusader
Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down